Would like to install dual discs on my 81' GS450t

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would like to install dual discs on my 81' GS450t

Have you tried installing 2) left fork legs(w/ bolt holes for the caliper)on a GS450 so you can run dual discs ?

Originally posted by grcamna2 View Post
    Have you tried installing 2) left fork legs(w/ bolt holes for the caliper)on a GS450 so you can run dual discs ?
    What are the diameter of the upper part of the front shocks? You'll need to find a set of forks that fit your triple tee or replace the whole front end including the triple tee. I have most of the parts of a 650g front end that might work for you. It's 35mm diameter.
    sigpic
    83 GS1100g
    2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Looks like yours is most likely 33mm. Two left fork legs wouldn't work because one would be backwards. I do have the triple tee to go with forks, wheel, disc's and calipers off a 650g ...... I do plan to go down to Hwy 20 at Williams & I-5 in a few weeks. PM me if interested.
      sigpic
      83 GS1100g

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie G View Post
        Looks like yours is most likely 33mm. Two left fork legs wouldn't work because one would be backwards. I do have the triple tee to go with forks, wheel, disc's and calipers off a 650g ...... I do plan to go down to Hwy 20 at Williams & I-5 in a few weeks. PM me if interested.
        Hi Charlie,
        I appreciate your post,I want to get them from you but just had a hernia operation and can't ride for 6 weeks,the car is off the road now also.I hope to get the 650G parts from you later on.
        Last edited by grcamna2; 02-18-2018, 02:00 AM.

Comment

If you want a brake performance upgrade, the salty_monk twin-piston brake upgrade is another choice.

Forum member, salty_monk, sells an adapter that allows you to use a larger brake disc + a more modern twin-piston caliper.
          For more info see: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...78-Skunk/page8
          An example:

Comment

Originally posted by jabcb View Post
            If you want a brake performance upgrade, the salty_monk twin-piston brake upgrade is another choice.

Forum member, salty_monk, sells an adapter that allows you to use a larger brake disc + a more modern twin-piston caliper.
            For more info see: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...78-Skunk/page8
            An example:
            This is also a good idea!
            sigpic
            83 GS1100g

Comment

That larger disc/twin piston caliper looks like a very good single disc upgrade,would be a 2nd choice.
              I would rather have the twin discs that you offered me Charlie G

Comment

Twin discs do have a bit better braking capability. Maybe a bit more than the two-piston caliper upgrade, but the second disc sure does add a lot of WEIGHT. That weight will affect your ride quality. Will your braking improvement offset your loss of ride quality? If you ride REAL fast on really smooth roads and stop often, it might be worth it, but around here, the roads are rough enough that you can't get going fast enough to appreciate better brakes.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

If I remember correctly the 450 fork leg has the bosses in the same position (274mm dia rotor) as the twin brake models. You can use a 550 rotor or a CBR F3/F4 rotor along with a bracket from me & a twinpot. Should be plenty for that bike & one twinpot brakes better than the stock dual Suzuki brakes anyway.
                  1980 GS1000G - Sold
                  1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                  1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                  1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                  2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                  1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                  2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                    If I remember correctly the 450 fork leg has the bosses in the same position (274mm dia rotor) as the twin brake models. You can use a 550 rotor or a CBR F3/F4 rotor along with a bracket from me & a twinpot. Should be plenty for that bike & one twinpot brakes better than the stock dual Suzuki brakes anyway.
                    You know,after reading what Steve wrote I understand the thing better and yes I agree with him that using twin discs/calipers will add more (unsprung) weight which I would rather not do.
                    salty_monk I do have an oem Suzuki 275mm left rotor from a GS850 which is also the same part# for the GS650,GS750E,GS1000E,GS1100E,etc. I wonder if I can use that slotted oem rotor on my GS450T and do like you say with the twin pot caliper ? I hope the position of the caliper mounts on the left fork leg of my 81' GS450T(I would also like to keep the stock spoke wheels ) will allow me to use this more powerful twin piston caliper/single dics set-up recommended?

Any ideas on what type of bracket/twin pot caliper I would use ?
                    Last edited by grcamna2; 02-25-2018, 03:33 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X