X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
    When you first said this.....

and then said this....

I was a bit confused. So how about on the track ? Those are some pretty good choices to buzz around. Whats faster ?
    On the track there is no comparison, either of the newer ones smokes the GS. I would be dragging parts on the GS at a tire warming pace on the others. On the street the two sport bikes are more planted and stable but I don't go much faster because of leaving fat margins to deal with traffic and other people's stupidity. It's the 50% of how many chances you are willing to take that Rich mentioned.

Mark
    1982 GS1100E
    1998 ZX-6R
    2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Good feedback Rich / Mark. Kinda what I thought from the start of this thread. Ive tried to sort out poor handling on my bike. Its better, but its also still an old street bike that Ive resigned to ride around at the legal limits. My co worker will be parking next to me on his S1000RR and will tell me stories about +150mph blasts and navigating the big S curves at speeds twice what I would ever attempt. It would be cool if my old dog could do that but I know its not gonna happen. Thats OK. Ill still enjoy the ride, take in the scenery and not worry so much about the perfect line, speeding tickets or the many obstacles the street offers.
      82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Good feedback Rich / Mark. Kinda what I thought from the start of this thread. Ive tried to sort out poor handling on my bike. Its better, but its also still an old street bike that Ive resigned to ride around at the legal limits. My co worker will be parking next to me on his S1000RR and will tell me stories about +150mph blasts and navigating the big S curves at speeds twice what I would ever attempt. It would be cool if my old dog could do that but I know its not gonna happen. Thats OK. Ill still enjoy the ride, take in the scenery and not worry so much about the perfect line, speeding tickets or the many obstacles the street offers.
        I'll let you in on a secret. My 1100E is more fun to ride on the street than the GSXR1000 because it has more character and is more challenging to ride well. A lot more comfortable, too. The GSXR offers basically seamless perfection (at my skill level) and astounding performance but it is also somewhat boring when just trundling along at typical street speeds. Even on the track I am not fast enough to make it sweat, so it is really wasted on the street.

If you ever get the chance to do a track day you should try it. One of the biggest things you will learn is that what you thought was fast on the street is nothing like truly fast and if you are riding hard on the street you are taking huge chances and still not really going very fast overall. Once I started riding track days I found my street riding actually slowed down some because I knew what fast really was and that I couldn't get there without risking life and limb on the street.

Mark
        1982 GS1100E
        1998 ZX-6R
        2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Originally posted by mmattockx View Post
          If you ever get the chance to do a track day you should try it. One of the biggest things you will learn is that what you thought was fast on the street is nothing like truly fast and if you are riding hard on the street you are taking huge chances and still not really going very fast overall. Once I started riding track days I found my street riding actually slowed down some because I knew what fast really was and that I couldn't get there without risking life and limb on the street.

Mark
          I need this.
          sigpic
          1983 GS1100ES (Bought July 2014)
          1983 GS1100E (Bought July 2014)
          1985 GS700ES (Bought June 2015) Sold
          On Christ the Solid Rock I Stand
          All Other Ground is Sinking Sand

Comment

I'll let you in on a secret. My 1100E is more fun to ride on the street than the GSXR1000 because it has more character and is more challenging to ride well. A lot more comfortable, too. The GSXR offers basically seamless perfection (at my skill level) and astounding performance but it is also somewhat boring when just trundling along at typical street speeds. Even on the track I am not fast enough to make it sweat, so it is really wasted on the street.
            Yep. A few years ago I took both a 650 VStrom and a Ducati 848 to the Deals Gap area. Hardly rode the Duc at all, the Strom was just more fun.

Had the exact same reaction when I started racing. Even stupid fast street rides are nothing like race pace, and I ended up going more slowly on the street because there's no way to replicate that sensation there without it being incredibly dangerous.
            '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

a track day is, in my opinion, the best thing you can do on a motorcycle. You will learn more in one day than in....years of street riding. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

Mark
              1983 GS 1100 ESD :D

Comment

Originally posted by RichDesmond View Post
                Had the exact same reaction when I started racing. Even stupid fast street rides are nothing like race pace, and I ended up going more slowly on the street because there's no way to replicate that sensation there without it being incredibly dangerous.
                I have not raced on pavement, but I have raced MX. I found track time (on or off road) was also good for slowing down on the street because it gives you an outlet for the aggression and competitive urges that sometimes foster idiocy on the street. Once you have raced or done track time and been able to go as fast as you want, pass as many people as you want and get it all out of your system there is less remaining to cause testosterone problems on the street.

The track (all of them) is also very humbling, which seems to also be good for sedate street riding. You may think you're one step behind Carmichael or Rossi but you will always find someone able to completely embarrass you on the track. I've had a 12 year old on an 80cc two stroke kick my a$$ all over my local MX track when I was riding a 450, that will bring you back down in a hurry...

Mark
                1982 GS1100E
                1998 ZX-6R
                2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

One thing I have not heard mentioned is tire pressure. In the old tests of these bikes back when they were new, the writers often found that increasing tire pressure by 3-4 pounds over what the manual says would make handling better. Have you looked at that yet?
                  Expecting the Spanish Inquisition
                  1981 GS850G: the Ratzuki
                  1981 GS1100E

Comment

Originally posted by zuluwiz View Post
                    One thing I have not heard mentioned is tire pressure. In the old tests of these bikes back when they were new, the writers often found that increasing tire pressure by 3-4 pounds over what the manual says would make handling better. Have you looked at that yet?
                    I did notice that the manual and the sticker under the seat do not match the sticker on the frame.
                    I've been running 34-36 in front and 38-40 in the rear. I think that's closer to what is on the sticker on the frame--and I don't know why it's different. I feel like 24-28 (manual for front) is really low. Hard for me to say though since I've never had balanced suspension prior to these changes.
                    Last edited by glib; 03-03-2018, 10:37 PM.
                    sigpic

Comment

Boom. Just installed this fork brace. They are expensive. Glad I had this one on the shelf from a bike I sold.

062FB282-852E-4EB2-805B-EE54F0B384DB by Gary L, on Flickr
                      sigpic

Comment

You have to be careful with the tire pressures on the stickers.

Back when the tires were made, they were rated to carry a certain amount of weight at a certain air pressure. Today's tires might carry the same amount of weight, but require more pressure to do it. If you run what the sticker says, the tires will be underinflated.

I don't know of any magic formula that will calculate the 'new' pressure that you need, but have always gone by the "pressure rise" formula. The pressure will always rise when a tire gets warm, and it gets warm by riding it. Set your pressure to something easy to remember. 30 psi is usually a decent starting point. Go for a ride. At least 20 miles, just to make sure the tires are good and warm. Check the pressure on the warm tires. The pressure should be about 10% higher. Some say the rear tire should be about 15% higher, but let's stick with 10% for now. If your pressure is more than 10% higher, it's because the tire was flexing too much, because it was under inflated. Adjust the pressure by the amount it was off. Example: you measure 35 psi. Since you were expecting 33, add 2 psi. You can do that cold or warm, so you are looking for 37 psi right after that ride or wait until the next day and inflate to 32. Do another ride. This time, you are looking for 35.2 psi. Repeat as necessary.

Also be aware that if you carry a passenger, you need to add air to carry the additional weight. Yes, that requires a couple more rides, with the passenger.

Those pressures should work for that brand and model tire for your bike. If you ever change tire brands, check the weight rating and inflation pressure of the new tires, you may have to do the process again.

sigpic
                        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride
                        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I dont want to minimize the importance of tire pressure but it did nothing for me trying to sort out a high speed weave. At 80 + mph it feels like the frame is hinged and moves back and forth. Very un-nerving. One of the many attempts to "fix" it was brand new tires. Nope. Same weave. and then multiple combinations of tire pressures, front and rear, cold and warm, from 28-48psi. Made no difference.

I did fix the weave though......set the tires at 35 cold (they go to 39 warm) and don't go over 80 !

Originally posted by glib View Post
                          Just installed this fork brace.
                          I have that fork brace on mine. Didn't like the crossover piece cause even with the 4 bolts as tight as I dared get them it still seemed to flex. So I cut a new one at work. Yes, I stole the Yosh symbol.

Fast fwd to the 4:00 mark....
                          Last edited by bonanzadave; 03-04-2018, 02:55 PM.
                          82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

I dont want to minimize the importance of tire pressure but it did nothing for me trying to sort out a high speed weave. At 80 + mph it feels like the frame is hinged and moves back and forth. Very un-nerving. One of the many attempts to "fix" it was brand new tires. Nope. Same weave. and then multiple combinations of tire pressures, front and rear, cold and warm, from 28-48psi. Made no difference.

I did fix the weave though......set the tires at 35 cold (they go to 39 warm) and don't go over 80 !

I have that fork brace on mine. Didn't like the crossover piece cause even with the 4 bolts as tight as I dared get them it still seemed to flex. So I cut a new one at work. Yes, I stole the Yosh symbol.

Fast fwd to the 4:00 mark....
                            OMG I want to play with that cutter! I mean I want to safely use it for it's intended purpose.

Nice result! I had to file my crossover piece to get it tight.
                            sigpic

Comment

Woo hoo! Nice ride yesterday. The setup adjustments, Works Shocks, and fork brace really impressed me. Sadly, there were wet spots and gravel on Hwy 26 that made for a tense ride in places and my new front tire has now arrived so that will be my last ride on this one. Fun season comin up!
                              Last edited by glib; 07-05-2018, 11:10 PM.
                              sigpic

Comment

One thing I haven't seen mentioned here is tire pressure. Back when these bikes were new, the magazine testers would complain of wiggling in the rear end that would clear up like magic when the tires were pumped up just 3 or 4 psi. Certainly worth thinking about.
                                Expecting the Spanish Inquisition
                                1981 GS850G: the Ratzuki
                                1981 GS1100E

Comment

Working...
                                X