Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1983 GS750ES Rear Suspension Help

Hello,

I am new to this site and a fairly new GS owner. I am hoping someone can help me with the rear floating suspension on my 1983 GS750es. Both the preload and dampening adjusters are stuck and do not turn at all. With its current settings the suspension seems to work fine, but come spring I am going to tear the rear end apart and hopefully fix the problem.

Although I have experience with rebuilding one motorcycle prior to this (a 1982 xj750 maxim), the suspension on that was a lot less complicated.

Should I tear apart the current suspension and attempt to fix it, or should I look to replace it altogether (the bike has 50k Km on it)? Where do I find an aftermarket replacement? Do I simply need to find a replacement shock that is the same length, or do I need to find one that has similar preload/dampening adjustments?

Any guidance/advice would be greatly appreciated!

I'd take a shot at repairing your unit....since it still sorta working as a shock ,but without adjustment , it might be something simple like a corroded cable,etc. . Get it off bike and have a go at it. Finding a good used unit would likely be expensive .
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I would suspect the ball bearings inside the damping adjusters have gone rusty maybe... & that galvanic corrosion is stopping the collar from moving on the shock. You might be able to free it all off. A ducati Monster M900 shock fits but is hard to adjust once fitted... (use the original spring).
      Various aftermarket sources like YSS etc too.
      1980 GS1000G - Sold
      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Thank you for the replies!

Comment

Originally posted by reedolavoie View Post
          Thank you for the replies!
          Since you want to take it apart, spend a few extra $$ and up grade your unit. Money well spent.
          sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
          1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
          2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Working...
          X