Brake Shoes and Pads 1983 GS450L

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brake Shoes and Pads 1983 GS450L

I see there are a few different compounds available. I need something that will stop well, not be grabby in the dry or rain, easy on the rotor and rear shoe housing. What type and brand do the members here suggest and can you inform me of a good online supplier to make the purchase?

Thanks!

There are lots of really crappy Chinese pads out there being sold very cheap under many different names -- Bikemaster, Pyramid, etc. Avoid these unless you have really good boot soles and enjoy Fred Flintstone-style stopping and faceplanting cars. Some cheapies work OK dry, but will try to kill you in the rain.

Any name brand pad will be fine -- EBC, Galfer, SBS, Ferodo, Vesrah.

The easiest to find by far will be EBC -- I believe the FA51 is the front brake pad, and it's available in FA51, which is called "organic" and/or "kevlar", and it's also available in a red semi-sintered compound called FA51V. FA51 will be a little easier on the rotors, and the FA51V will have a little more grip. Both work great in the rain. FWIW, my GS850G is currently wearing the red compound FA51V pads.

I usually find brake pads cheapest on eBay -- there are several sellers who seem to buy up old dealer inventory, so you can pick these up pretty inexpensively sometimes, and the age of brake pads doesn't really matter as long as they're not damaged. Just make CERTAIN you are buying actual EBC product and not some imitation crap.

For the rear shoes, EBC606 seems to be the correct EBC application (but verify that), and again a little hunting finds these on eBay and Amazon at decent prices.

A good alternative is Vesrah brake shoes. Here's one good source, Cycle Recycle II:
    Drumb brake shoes sold in pairs for motorcycles in CRC2's Online Catalog of New motorcycle Parts and Accessories Indy

I'd stick with the Vesrah rather than the Emgo.

Pads and shoes are available from various sellers on Amazon as well; just be aware that Amazon's vehicle search engine usually doesn't work for vintage motorcycles, so look up the parts you need elsewhere and check.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Thank you.

Comment

Working...
      X