Shinko 230 Rear tire ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shinko 230 Rear tire ?

Need a set for Roadkill (1981 GS850G) J&P & Dennis Kirk both put up a warning that the Shinko 130/90-17 rear tire is NOT compatible with my ride. I even went out to the garage to confirm that is what I have on there & the previous 3 or 4 rears were that size as well.

Anyone know why they are saying this? Phone calls to each of the retailers were useless, just able to get order takers in their 20's.

Is there some difference in the Shinko measuring tape? Sure wish the S11 Bridgestones were still made in the rear size, front only now. Has anyone who rides an 850G used this tire? Good reviews great price, seems like a good fit for a real slow riding cheapskate like myself.

This will likely be my last set as getting over the hill so don't ride so much anymore.

Thanks,
    Rides ROADKILL-1981 GS850G, very slowly these days. :dancing:

Ignore them. I have that tire on my '80 850G, my son has one on his '80 1000G, there are no problems.

My wife has the 16" version on her '82 850L. We recently sold my other son's '82 650L, it had the 16" version on it, as well.

Even if are aren't such a "slow riding cheapskate", it seems to be a very good tire. There is lots of love for it here, with its only shortcoming being a modest tread life. Good grip during its entire life, wet or dry, predictable handling, just has an 'average' tread life. Some have found that other tires will offer about twice the tread life for less than twice the price, and since they do a LOT of riding, it makes sense to spend less time changing tires.

I have enjoyed the 230s to the point that we had them on all four GSes here, and will be spooning on another one on my bike until just before our trip this summer. Not sure that the tires will last for the entire trip, so will be switching all three bikes to some longer-lasting tires for the trip.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      Ignore them. I have that tire on my '80 850G, my son has one on his '80 1000G, there are no problems.

My wife has the 16" version on her '82 850L. We recently sold my other son's '82 650L, it had the 16" version on it, as well.

Even if are aren't such a "slow riding cheapskate", it seems to be a very good tire. There is lots of love for it here, with its only shortcoming being a modest tread life. Good grip during its entire life, wet or dry, predictable handling, just has an 'average' tread life. Some have found that other tires will offer about twice the tread life for less than twice the price, and since they do a LOT of riding, it makes sense to spend less time changing tires.

I have enjoyed the 230s to the point that we had them on all four GSes here, and will be spooning on another one on my bike until just before our trip this summer. Not sure that the tires will last for the entire trip, so will be switching all three bikes to some longer-lasting tires for the trip.

Thanks Steve. I had a Michelin on back as I could no longer get the B-stone S11. Only got 5+k from it very disappointed as I ride like sloth. If I get 5k from Shinko the lower price will take some of the sting.

I notice that some sites list 4.5x17 for the tire size. That might be it.

Thanks for the info. I order, therefore I am.

I see I show as newbie. Actually have been on the site for many years but when I don't log in sometimes, I get the boot. Just had to sign up today.

DH

Comment

"Newbie" status and all the others are based on the number of posts to your "credit".

Another clue is the "join date" in the upper-right corner. However, you do need to log in every six months or so to remain on "active" status.
        I don't manage any forums or have access to what it takes to run one, so I don't know if culling out the non-active users is of any benefit.

And, since you are discussing the Shinko 230, click HERE to see the test that I was mentioning earlier. It started over five years ago, has been updated a few times since then.

Last edited by Steve; 03-03-2018, 08:00 PM.
        sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by suzukizone View Post
          Thanks Steve. I had a Michelin on back as I could no longer get the B-stone S11. Only got 5+k from it very disappointed as I ride like sloth. If I get 5k from Shinko the lower price will take some of the sting.
          I'm not sure you will get 5000 miles out of a 230. I have that tire on my 1100E and it currently has just under 6100km on it. It is fairly squared off (but not bald in the middle, you could go farther if you don't value handling performance) and I will be replacing it this spring with another, assuming winter ends at some point. I run fairly low tire pressures for performance, around 34-35psi. Running up closer to 40psi would help the life some and might get you closer to 5000 miles. As Steve says, it is a good value tire that performs well in all conditions and doesn't cost a fortune. I don't put miles on like he does, so I opt to use the lower life tire so that tires get changed often enough to keep the rubber fresh.

Mark
          1982 GS1100E
          1998 ZX-6R
          2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

My current "rescue" is a 1981 GS850G and my new Shinko's just arrived Thursday. My first rescue was a 78 Honda Hawk, number two was a 81 Honda CB650 Custom both of which were shod with 230's. Good tires for a good price. I got them here. https://www.americanmototire.com/

Comment

Originally posted by NavyDad View Post
              My current "rescue" is a 1981 GS850G and my new Shinko's just arrived Thursday. My first rescue was a 78 Honda Hawk, number two was a 81 Honda CB650 Custom both of which were shod with 230's. Good tires for a good price. I got them here. https://www.americanmototire.com/
              Ah me, wish I saw your post before I ordered from Dennis Kirk (brother of Capt Kirk?) Woodah saved a few bucks. Have bookmarked that site but doubt I'll be buying more tires as I really slow down on my riding.

Thanks though.

DH

Comment

2000 miles on a 120/90-17 Shenko 230 over 18 months. So far, so good. I need to ride more...
                Jordan

1977 Suzuki GS750 (My first bike)
                2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
                1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

Originally posted by mmattockx View Post
                  I'm not sure you will get 5000 miles out of a 230. I have that tire on my 1100E and it currently has just under 6100km on it. It is fairly squared off (but not bald in the middle, you could go farther if you don't value handling performance) and I will be replacing it this spring with another, assuming winter ends at some point. I run fairly low tire pressures for performance, around 34-35psi. Running up closer to 40psi would help the life some and might get you closer to 5000 miles. As Steve says, it is a good value tire that performs well in all conditions and doesn't cost a fortune. I don't put miles on like he does, so I opt to use the lower life tire so that tires get changed often enough to keep the rubber fresh.

Mark
                  I got 5k on a 230 rear on my 850. It was pretty square but there was ample tread depth. An 850 doesn't provide the forces that an 1100e does though
                  sigpic
                  09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
                  1983 GS1100e
                  82\83 1100e Frankenbike
                  1980 GS1260
                  Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

I think they are very good tires. You may not get 6K miles out of them, but they are very affordable and competent.
                    "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                    1982 CB900f

Comment

Working...
                    X