Wheel widening?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wheel widening?

Whose done it? Seen on a cl add posted in the fs section so im curiosity strucken
    I build Pipers

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4842/...b592dc4d_m.jpg

Kosman at least used to do it but it's never been cheap...other shops are capable of doing it.

Comment

Custom Metal Spinning took over from Kosman.
      Figure on $1000.00 per wheel.
      2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

It's a little cheaper outside the US but still expensive.

There's a limited market for it too - shaft drives where there's no alternative wheel, specific rim width rules for various classes.
        In NZ, for our pre 82 Post Classic race class, we're limited to a 5.0 inch maximum rim width. They're not common....
        I've looked at having a 5.5 narrowed. Feasible but again not cheap.

Comment

It also adds a bunch of weight to the wheel. Better to swap in wide lightweight wheels if you need extra tire (which most folks don't but want because of aesthetics).
          "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
          ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
          1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by GregT View Post
            It's a little cheaper outside the US but still expensive.

There's a limited market for it too - shaft drives where there's no alternative wheel, specific rim width rules for various classes.
            In NZ, for our pre 82 Post Classic race class, we're limited to a 5.0 inch maximum rim width. They're not common....
            I've looked at having a 5.5 narrowed. Feasible but again not cheap.
            I remember on one of the Restomod threads a 5" wheel being used & it wasn't from a bike that rare... maybe a FZR or something. I remember it wasn't Suzuki...
            1980 GS1000G - Sold
            1978 GS1000E - Finished!
            1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
            1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
            2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
            1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
            2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
              I remember on one of the Restomod threads a 5" wheel being used & it wasn't from a bike that rare... maybe a FZR or something. I remember it wasn't Suzuki...
              Some of the late 600's and some of the early 1000's on 17's had 5.0 inch rims. In NZ, those 1000's were not imported in any quantity - and the 600's are still current so not being wrecked in numbers...We're a small market which can make things difficult at times.
              Yes, if a customer has the budget, I can import a rim - but most simply don't have that kind of money.
              That's why I looked at narrowing the common 5.5inch - and if it came off the chain side, that helps another problem too....

Comment

Look into CBR 600 F2 and F3 Wheels, they almost look like the Kawasaki / Morris mag wheels but are a fairly modern sport bike 17 inch wheel. One of the few modern Wheels that doesn't stick out like a sore thumb when installed on a vintage bike, that's one of my huge pet peeves, why put some ugly modern wheels on your vintage bike, if you want to ugly it out, just go full-on alien and buy a modern sport bike! They are probably a 5.5 rear though, offset sprockets 520 chain and other hassles go along with that. But that's all still cheaper than having a wheel widened. It also eliminates the hassle of finding a large offset triple clamp set to run your modern forks with, because you only need 38 or 43 mm triple clamp offset on an old frame with a relaxed (27 degrees) rake, running modern 17 inch rubber
                '77 GS750 920cc heavily modded
                '97 Kawasaki KDX220R rugged terrain ripper!
                '99 Kawasaki KDX220R​ rebuild in progress
                '79 GS425stock
                PROJECTS:
                '77 Suzuki PE250 woods racer
                '77 GS550 740cc major mods
                '77 GS400 489cc racer build
                '76 Rickman CR1000 GS1000/1100
                '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck78 View Post
                  Look into CBR 600 F2 and F3 Wheels,

<snip>

They are probably a 5.5 rear though,
                  The F2 rear was 4.5", F3 is 5.5".

Mark
                  1982 GS1100E
                  1998 ZX-6R
                  2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Originally posted by mmattockx View Post
                    The F2 rear was 4.5", F3 is 5.5".

Mark
                    Ahhh... that's great to know, Mark, THANKS!
                    So I think if I were doing a 17" wheel conversion, I'd definitely be going with the F2 rear wheel so I could run a 150/70-17 or 160/60-17 instead of a 180 (or 170?) required on a 5.5... too big of offset sprockets for out bikes, I'd just run an ultra high performance tire like the Bridgestone BT016 Battlax so I'd get the ultimate grip out of the smaller (quicker turning) tire. I don't give a darn about treadlife generally, unless I were doing a cross country trip, then I'd run something that lasts 8,000 miles...

So many times now, I've seen my Shinko 230, Shinko SR741, and Bridgestone Battlax BT45V bias ply 130/80-18 & 140 or 150/70-18 tires clearly outperform fancy sportbike sport-touring 180 width rears that the owners of touted at how highly acclaimed these 180 ST tires were...

I think the F2 uses a solid mounted rotor with a large bolt pattern, and the F3 uses the same 6 bolt 7mm pcd bolt pattern as the GS or else the 6 bolt 74mm pattern which uses similar nearly identical floating rotors. So for vintage racing, the F2 solid front rotors would be required per rules and rim width restrictions, but for a street bike, I'd be inclined to run the F3 with the floating rotors.

Those mags really look very similar to a Kawasaki or Morris mag wheel from vintage 1970s bikes, but they are slightly bladed directionally. Really the only newer mag wheel that I think looks appropriate on a vintage bike. I just haven't had an application where I wanted to build one up yet. It would save a lot of hassle with front axle adapters to make a vintage wire spoke wheel hub fit on a 20mm axle modern sportbike conventional fork. And even more hassle trying to find that speedometer drive that would read accurately on an 18-inch period-correct wire spoke wheel.
                    '79 GS425stock
                    PROJECTS:
                    '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck78 View Post
                      So I think if I were doing a 17" wheel conversion, I'd definitely be going with the F2 rear wheel so I could run a 150/70-17 or 160/60-17 instead of a 180 (or 170?) required on a 5.5...

I think the F2 uses a solid mounted rotor with a large bolt pattern, and the F3 uses the same 6 bolt 7mm pcd bolt pattern as the GS or else the 6 bolt 74mm pattern which uses similar nearly identical floating rotors. So for vintage racing, the F2 solid front rotors would be required per rules and rim width restrictions, but for a street bike, I'd be inclined to run the F3 with the floating rotors.
                      I know the wheel sizes because I have thought long and hard about doing a 17" radial conversion with them on my 1100E. Like you, I much prefer the Honda spoke pattern/style to the Suzuki 3 spoke arrangement. I would go with the F2 rear for the reasons you mention (a 160 rear is perfect for my 1100E without big effort) and the F3 front because it looks so much better than the F2 front. You are correct that the F2 front has a large diameter hub that the rotors bolt directly to and the F3 has a smaller diameter hub. Salty_Monk's twin piston caliper upgrade uses the F3 rotors (among others).

Mark
                      1982 GS1100E
                      1998 ZX-6R
                      2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Something else to consider is the F2 front wheel has a cable speedo drive and the F3 used an electronic pickup off the counter sprocket.
                        2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
                          Something else to consider is the F2 front wheel has a cable speedo drive and the F3 used an electronic pickup off the counter sprocket.
                          That's a good point. It makes no difference to me as I am running a Trailtech Vapor for tach/speedo functions with a magnet on the brake rotor for the pickup, but for those wanting to stay with cable drive it's a big deal.

Mark
                          1982 GS1100E
                          1998 ZX-6R
                          2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

I also looked slightly into what other models run this pattern of wheel. Fronts on some years of VFR800's (rears use a single sided swingarm on the 800, or maybe that's the 750? Or both?), the VFR750, the VTR1000F SP1 Superhawk, CBR600 F2 & F3, etc. Not all years on any, most use the fugly 3 spoke space alien wheels.
                            Also, highly desirable to me would be the Australian/etc VTR250 with a 3.00x17 & 4.00x17 set... another non-USA model would be the VFR400 front and rear.

I think I can get an F2 rear and F3 front for a reasonable price, but shipping overseas on those 3"/4" VTR250 wheels would put me close to the prices of lacing up wire spoke rims in wider widths ($600/set shipped from Australia).
                            '79 GS425stock
                            PROJECTS:
                            '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

Uhm.....you could consider going "wire spoked" wheels....

Comment

Working...
                              X