Lost acorn nut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lost acorn nut

I was doing some work on the bike last night. Removing the seat requires unsnapping a strap that is held in place by the acorn nuts at the top of the rear shocks. Well, the strap came off in my hand, held on only by the acorn nut on the right side. The left nut was gone - there was nothing holding the top of the shock onto the stud. It must've happened during my Monday night ride. Could've been an interesting situation if that shock worked its way loose!

As it turns out, sourcing a M10 x 1.25 chrome acorn nut quickly is not easy, at least not in my neck of the woods. I managed to find some standard nuts locally to use as a temporary fix. I was ready to order an OEM nut from Partzilla ($2 plus $8 shipping to Canada) when I thought I'd check EBay. As luck would have it, I managed to find 3 NOS Suzuki acorn nuts from a motorcycle salvage shop in British Columbia. $10 shipped for the set.

Needless to say, I will be checking and tightening these regularly going forward.

Probably a good idea to use some blue loctite. I had some loose ones too, but caught them before they fell off.
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9zH8w8Civs8ejBJWjdvYi1LNTg&resourcekey=0-hlJp0Yc4K_VN9g7Jyy4KQg&authuser=fussbucket_1%40msn.com&usp=drive_fs
    1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
    1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

Originally posted by jsandidge View Post
      Probably a good idea to use some blue loctite.
      That's the plan.

Comment

Working...
      X