Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OEM Shock Length for 1979 GS750 ?

hello all,
    just picked up a 79 GS750 (frame stamp GS750E-705891, build date 4/79 ) and wondering what the eye-to-clevis distance is on OEM shocks for that year. mine are shrouded shocks with a 12 3/4inch distance, and need to be replaced.

many thx,
    bob p

usually, they are right at 13".

Call Hagon they will get you set up and are very reasonable.

Comment

Yep, 13" or 330mm seems to be stock for most GSes.

Also agree on the Hagon recommendation. Just looked at our usual source, found that Dave Quinn Motorcycles is closing.

Will have to see if anyone takes over his business.

There are cheap Chinese shocks available on eBay (probably EMGO brand) for about $100. The Hagons were just over $200. Progressive shocks are just over $300, and they go up from there.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

thx very much for the quick replies! just picked this one up as a project the other day, and getting ready to fire her up. if all is reasonably well, she'll be taken down for a full refresh. replaced the fuses, cleaned the fuse holders and jumped the electrics with my R75. everything works including the indicator lights, all gear pos lights, high/low, etc. starter spins the engine and have some nice sparks too.

has been off the road for somewhere between 5 to 10 years, but stored well. PO's nephew recently bought a clymers then gave up pretty quickly it seems.

found the mains of #2 and #3 clogged, but all other circuits are clear. fab'd a replacement for the missing "reserve" petcock tube, then scrubbed and rinsed the tank. pulled the oil drain plug and filter, let them drain for a few hours to get the badness out, then refilled. was about to dress and gap the points and discovered a new Dyna S ignition installed by the nephew.

my plan is to get her running, check the charging system and shifting, then go to work. seat and seat pan are terrible, airbox is missing, and hate the ape hangers so this is pointing me in a direction. did read the entire carb section here, will search for an airbox probably but have had good luck going with unifilter pods previously, if exhaust is stock. foam uni's properly oiled are more restrictive than emgo pods i think. but am not close to that stage yet.

stock exhaust is very nice, as is all the chrome. aftermarket shocks are toast, so i think i'm going to slam the bike front and rear prob 2 inches, with clip-ons above the triples. but we'll see. rear caliper is sticking, fronts are fine. it will take me awhile for the "vision thing" to coalesce.

thx again,
        bob p

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          Also agree on the Hagon recommendation. Just looked at our usual source, found that Dave Quinn Motorcycles is closing.

Oh no. Wish I had seen this earlier.
          Jordan

1977 Suzuki GS750 (My first bike)
          2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
          1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

Working...
          X