Are 15"/380mm shocks TOO long?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are 15"/380mm shocks TOO long?

I have a 1980 550E "bitsa bike" I'll be building from leftover parts. I'm told that the 550 can benefit from longer shocks, but that usually means something around 14"/360mm.

I found a set of modern shocks in 15"/380mm length. Is that TOO long?

I also have Sonic springs and emulators for the forks.

I had Ohlins with 35mm of extension. 15" is probably the absolute max, make sure you slide your triple clamp to the top of the forks.

Comment

Make sure you adjust your chain properly.

The chain will be at its tightest when the front sprocket shaft, swingarm pivot and rear axle are in a straight line. With your longer shocks, you might have to slip the shocks off their mounts to lift the wheel to that position (with bike on the centerstand), but do that once to adjust the chain for proper slack, then put the shocks back onto their mounts and measure the resulting chain slack. Use THAT as your "adjust to" measurement to ensure the chain does not bind up because it's too tight.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I haven't bought the shocks yet. I'm afraid they're just a little bit TOO long.

Comment

Too long unless the bike is modded (my opinion.)
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Scott S View Post
            I have a 1980 550E "bitsa bike" I'll be building from leftover parts. I'm told that the 550 can benefit from longer shocks, but that usually means something around 14"/360mm.

I found a set of modern shocks in 15"/380mm length. Is that TOO long?

I also have Sonic springs and emulators for the forks.
            What length are the OEM shocks? I wouldn't go more than 1" over on the length personally.

Mark
            1982 GS1100E
            1998 ZX-6R
            2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Gee you might not be able to use centerstand-it might be off the ground and side stand will give more lean too but nobody here now knows so why not "mock it up" with a jack under frame to see. ...It won't duplicate spring sag so you'll have to guess at this....

Steve's got a good point so you'll have to leave more sag when adjusting the chain too.
              Making a dirt bike?

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
                Gee you might not be able to use centerstand-it might be off the ground and side stand will give more lean too but nobody here now knows so why not "mock it up" with a jack under frame to see. ...It won't duplicate spring sag so you'll have to guess at this....

Steve's got a good point so you'll have to leave more sag when adjusting the chain too.
                Making a dirt bike?
                Best to mock-up with those cheap eBay shock extenders. Might need two sets. Would not trust to ride but for sags tests should survive.

Comment

I wouldn't do it. Anything over an inch longer and the handling starts to get pretty weird.
                  1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                  2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                  2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
                  X