Fudge!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
    I’ve never thought to loosen the yoke bolts when working with the caps , but it makes perfect sense. I’ve gotten lucky...
    I just installed Sonic fork springs in my ZX6R a week ago. Those big, thin-wall fork tubes were completely pinched in by the top triple bolts and the caps would not move for anything until I unscrewed the pinch bolts (forgot to loosen the pinch bolt on the first tube...). Then they came loose with just a bump to break the connection loose and then finger tight after that. The smaller, heavy wall tubes on our GS's might not be so sensitive to the clamping forces, but I still undo the top triple bolts before unscrewing the caps.

Mark
    1982 GS1100E
    1998 ZX-6R
    2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Huh. Never seen that before.

Yep, I learned long ago to loosen the pinch bolts before removing and to install these things with little to no torque. I mean, why do so many people crank 'em in there so hard? Why do people think the fork caps are going to unscrew themselves, and how? It's a stationary assembly.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
        Huh. Never seen that before.

Yep, I learned long ago to loosen the pinch bolts before removing and to install these things with little to no torque. I mean, why do so many people crank 'em in there so hard? Why do people think the fork caps are going to unscrew themselves, and how? It's a stationary assembly.
        I don’t know the answer for anyone but myself and it is simply that I did not think it through and it was a big ass nut and I cranked it down. I don’t even remember doing it but big nuts don’t usually mean hand tight. Also when you are working on something that can kill you if you get it wrong, it’s not hard to imagine that maybe tighter is better. That’s why I share my blunders. Maybe someone will avoid them as a result.
        sigpic
        1983 GS1100ES (Bought July 2014)
        1983 GS1100E (Bought July 2014)
        1985 GS700ES (Bought June 2015) Sold
        On Christ the Solid Rock I Stand
        All Other Ground is Sinking Sand

Comment

Originally posted by glib View Post
          I don’t know the answer for anyone but myself and it is simply that I did not think it through and it was a big ass nut and I cranked it down. I don’t even remember doing it but big nuts don’t usually mean hand tight. Also when you are working on something that can kill you if you get it wrong, it’s not hard to imagine that maybe tighter is better. That’s why I share my blunders. Maybe someone will avoid them as a result.
          Thanks for posting this thread. I can only imagine that you are 1 in 100 for posting such a booboo . I hope no one is attacking you rather trying to figure out how it happened.

sounds like you twisted off the nut tightening?

Comment

Well, I don't think it's a hard skill to learn how to estimate the maximum torque capacity of nuts and bolts, but there is a learning curve.
            You'll never make that mistake again.
            "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
            1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
            1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
            1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
              Thanks for posting this thread. I can only imagine that you are 1 in 100 for posting such a booboo . I hope no one is attacking you rather trying to figure out how it happened.

sounds like you twisted off the nut tightening?
              Loosening. I was about to adjust my emulators. I did learn quite well however as when I just now removed the other one for a picture, it came off with ease.
              sigpic

Comment

Here is what an ES cap looks like in case anyone has one. I’m posting in parts wanted as well.

A36C1577-ADB9-42C6-8524-5A1599F6EE8D by Gary L, on Flickr
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
                  Well, I don't think it's a hard skill to learn how to estimate the maximum torque capacity of nuts and bolts, but there is a learning curve.
                  You'll never make that mistake again.
                  Years ago I did a head gasket on a Jaguar (to save money) and when I lifted the head I broke a plastic connector off the ac compressor. I had no idea how to fix it so it cost me $400 to get it fixed. Now I do my own ac work.

Nothing to do with torque but it puts a forty dollar f up in perspective.
                  sigpic

Comment

According to the parts fiche I am looking at the 83 1100esd and the 84 1150 are the same p/n.

Shop online for OEM Front Damper (Gs1100esd) parts that fit your 1983 Suzuki GS1100ES, search all our OEM Parts or call at 1-800-253-7667

Shop online for OEM Front Damper parts that fit your 1984 Suzuki GS1150, search all our OEM Parts or call at 1-800-253-7667
                    1978 Gs1085 compliments of Popy Yosh, Bandit 1200 wheels and front end, VM33 Smoothbores, Yosh exhaust, braced frame, ported polished head :cool:
                    1983 Gs1100ESD, rebuild finished! Body paintwork happening winter 2017:D

I would rather trust my bike to a technician that reads the service manual than some backyardigan that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix things.

Comment

Thanks for sharing. I will be replacing my fork springs soon and would not have thought to loosen the clamp bolt first.
                      Jordan

1977 Suzuki GS750 (My first bike)
                      2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
                      1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

Originally posted by Fjbj40 View Post
                        According to the parts fiche I am looking at the 83 1100esd and the 84 1150 are the same p/n.

Shop online for OEM Front Damper (Gs1100esd) parts that fit your 1983 Suzuki GS1100ES, search all our OEM Parts or call at 1-800-253-7667

https://www.ronniesmailorder.com/oem...0/front-damper
                        They (83) are different on BikeBandit.

Who do ya trust?
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
                          In the department of you learn something new every day ... I’ve never thought to loosen the yoke bolts when working with the caps , but it makes perfect sense. I’ve gotten lucky...
                          Glib, if 1150 caps will work I have a spare you can have. Same diameter fork as far as I know. Not sure of other details though.
                          So it's a question mark now that "Ronnies" shows the same part number and bikebandit shows a different one. Think you could post a picture so we could compare?

Edit: Partzilla agrees with Ronnies BTW so I'm hopeful.
                          Last edited by glib; 07-10-2018, 07:07 PM.
                          sigpic

Comment

Looks pretty darn similar to me....
                            http://Untitled by Glen Brenner, on Flickr

sigpic
                            When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                            -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                            -Rusty old scooter.
                            Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                            https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                            https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

I can't from your picture how wide the preload shaft thingy is (part your thumb is on).
                              sigpic
                              When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                              -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                              -Rusty old scooter.
                              Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                              https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                              https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Bikebandit obfuscates part numbers to discourage comparison shopping; they somehow convert Suzuki part numbers to their own doofy part numbers. If you're looking at the same part on a different fiche, it can show a different BikeBandit part number. This, along with their nutso pricing, is why I won't order from them.

Most other OEM Suzuki parts sources use the original Suzuki part numbers, so you can safely use these part numbers to cross-reference.

Here's the site I use most often -- there are several others:
                                OnlineCycleParts is your Online source for Genuine Yamaha, Suzuki, Polaris, Honda, Kawasaki & KTM Parts.

The Suzuki part number for this cap is: 51351-49540

To cross-reference the part number, punch it in here, and click search:

Then, click "Where Used" to see what other bikes the part is used on. In this case, it's 82-83 GS1100E and ES, as well as all variants of the 84-86 GS1150 (E, ES, ESF, ESG, etc).

Originally posted by glib View Post
                                This is somewhat beside the mechanical point, but I think I owe you an apology -- for some reason, I automatically attributed the original overtorquing to the dreaded Previous Owner and not you, so my words were harsher than needed. Many thanks for sharing the problem so everyone can learn!
                                Last edited by bwringer; 07-11-2018, 08:17 AM.
                                1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                                2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                                2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
                                X