Front end upgrades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front end upgrades

I've had my bike for 3 years now and I'm finally getting around to tackling the front suspension and brakes. I have new Sonic Springs going in with fork seals, dust boots, and fresh fork oil. On the advice of a forum member, I'm considering adding Mikes XS emulators as well. I've got lower fork legs from an E model to convert to the dual disc setup and I'll be installing Kawasaki 2 piston calipers using Salty Monk's kit along with Honda rotors and a 5/8" master cylinder.

What are your thoughts on using emulators? I'm a bit afraid of drilling the damper rod but I hope it will seem easier once I see how the damper rods look. I'm considering replacing the steering stem bearings with All Balls bearings. It says I may need to modify the steering stem (here) but a forum member said it's not necessary. Has anyone installed All Balls bearings and can comment on this? Should I also replace the wheel bearings? Any other items to replace while I'm removing the forks?

I learned in a recent thread to loosen the upper clamp bolts before trying to loosen the fork caps. Any other tips/tricks or parts to inspect/replace while working on the front end?
    Jordan

1977 Suzuki GS750 (My first bike)
    2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
    1973 BMW R75/5

Can't comment on the bearings, but the emulator install is fairly straightforward, as is drilling the damper rods.

Many have reported great improvements from replacing the springs with new straight rate ones properly matched to the riders weght alone without adding emulators.

I picked up emulators and sonic springs, slightly used, from a member here. Great upgrade.
    sigpic
    When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
    -Rusty old scooter.
    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
    https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by hannibal View Post
      I learned in a recent thread to loosen the upper clamp bolts before trying to loosen the fork caps. Any other tips/tricks or parts to inspect/replace while working on the front end?
      I have found it easiest to loosen the upper AND lower clamp bolts, slide the fork tubes up a bit, snug the lower clamp, then loosen the cap. You will have the advantage of using the whole bike as a vise, leaving you to conentrate on removing the cap.

When you put the caps back on, skip the preload spacers. Thread the caps on about one full turn. Use a sharpie, make a mark on the cap near the edge. While pulling on the cap, slowly rotate the tube to remove the cap. Note where the mark on the cap is when it releases, make a matching mark on the fork tube. Now, when you install the spacers and are pushing against the preload, you KNOW where the threads will start grabbing.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks for the advice!
        Jordan

2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
        1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
          Can't comment on the bearings, but the emulator install is fairly straightforward, as is drilling the damper rods.

Many have reported great improvements from replacing the springs with new straight rate ones properly matched to the riders weght alone without adding emulators.

I picked up emulators and sonic springs, slightly used, from a member here. Great upgrade.
          ^^^ What he said, springs and emulators work great ,you'll be pleased with the results.
          1982 Katana 1100, 1997 HD Ultra Classic, 1996 Buell S2T, 2002 BMW K1200RS, 1969 Royal Enfield Interceptor Triton project
          New project 1979 GS1000S
          Recently sold 1979 Honda CBX1000

Comment

Emulators work well but you need to set them up... they split the compression & Rebound circuits so that the OIL WEIGHT now controls only rebound and you adjust the emulator to get the compression damping you want relative to that oil weight.
            1980 GS1000G - Sold
            1978 GS1000E - Finished!
            1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
            1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
            2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
            1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
            2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Skip the All Balls unless you really need to replace the bearings
              If they do need replacing, take them to your local bearings shop and buy better bearings for less money
              1978 GS 1000 (since new)
              1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
              1978 GS 1000 (parts)
              1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
              1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
              1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
              2007 DRz 400S
              1999 ATK 490ES
              1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Thanks guys! Time to get these forks off...
                Jordan

2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
                1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

Working...
                X