rear brake problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rear brake problem

Hi to all out there, Have had a few trips on the gs latley love riding it she,s a real go,er.

Was out on a run sunday when i applied the rear brake for a spilt second there was nothing then nearly a full lock up
    would only release when kicked up with my boot.

Am going to bleed the brake this week and would appreciate any tips/info before doing so.
    Do i bleed both sides together at the same time or one at a time.

Might even be the pads need changing but wont know until i start poking around.

Greatful for any info many thanks,mark.
    ​suzuki gs750 db

What do you mean bleed both sides? You will only have one bleeder on the brake caliper itself. I would suggest, especially if you don't know the history, to completely remove and clean the brake system, change the fluid, and replace the rear line with a stainless steel one instead of the rubber. If you insist on keeping rubber lines, remember that Suzuki even said to replace them every couple of years
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

My rear caliper has two bleed valves. Bleed both of them
      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
      2007 DRz 400S
      1999 ATK 490ES
      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

My 78 GS750 has two bleeders on the rear caliper! I bleed one at a time. Don't see how you could bleed them both at the same time. I always do the outer, then the inner and then the outer again just to be sure all the air is out.
        Ron
        When I die, just cremate me and put me in my GS tank. That way I can go through these carbs, one more time!https://www.thegsresources.com/_forum/core/images/smilies/cool.png
        1978 GS750E - November 2017 BOTM
        1978 GS1000C - May 2021 BOTM
        1982 GS1100E - April 2024 BOTM
        1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
          What do you mean bleed both sides? You will only have one bleeder on the brake caliper itself.
          Some bikes have only one, others have two. I have not yet established a pattern for which is which.

Markla, if you had to pull the lever up, it is obvious that the lever itself might be the problem. Depending on your bike, you may have to remove the right-side footpeg for access, but remove all the linkage from the pedal to the master cylinder, remove the spring that pulls on the brake light switch and remove the spring that is supposed to pull the lever back up. Remove the lever from the pivot, slide the pivot out of the frame. Clean the pivot and the hole in the frame, apply a modest amount of grease, put it all back together.

This does not reduce the importance of cleaning (possibly rebuilding) the master cylinder and the caliper, but is merely one small part of maintaining the entire SYSTEM.

Yes, there are many individual PARTS you can replace in the process of diagnosing a problem, but each one is part of a SYSTEM that needs to be addressed in its entirety.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks for the replys tomorrow (sunday) is forcast lots of rain so i,ll be in the garage sorting this out my bike has two bleed nipples
            so wondered if both should be done together at the same time or one at a time using a second person on the brake.

Have allday so hopefully i can fix this.
            ​suzuki gs750 db

Comment

Originally posted by markla View Post
              Thanks for the replys tomorrow (sunday) is forcast lots of rain so i,ll be in the garage sorting this out my bike has two bleed nipples
              so wondered if both should be done together at the same time or one at a time using a second person on the brake.

Have allday so hopefully i can fix this.
              Originally posted by 1978GS750E View Post
              My 78 GS750 has two bleeders on the rear caliper! I bleed one at a time. Don't see how you could bleed them both at the same time. I always do the outer, then the inner and then the outer again just to be sure all the air is out.
              What he said.
              As a rule: always bleed the one furthest from the master first.

Comment

I would break down the master cylinder, clean the sludge out, and put in a new rebuild kit being sure the super tiny return port is open, THEN rebleed the system. And you bleed the one closest to the hub first .
                MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

just an update i,ve bled the brakes all seems ok so next step was to check the pads when i did manage to get one out
                  looked well worn so have ordered some new ones will be a full strip down and clean when they arrive.
                  ​suzuki gs750 db

Comment

Working...
                  X