Remove front wheel - GS550L

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remove front wheel - GS550L

Hi Folks, I am working on restoring an old GS550L and it is time for new rubber. I was trying to remove the front wheel and am missing something. I loosened the axle clamp on the left side, removed the axle nut, removed the caliper, detached the speedometer cable. Once all that was done, I expected to be able to tap the axle out, something is not allowing this, but I cannot see any other screws/bolts/nuts that would be stopping it. I hit it pretty hard with the rubber mallet and there is something I am missing. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

here are some photos of what I am seeing, please feel free to take a look: https://1drv.ms/f/s!AucBQohrJb5SwdlXfdksc96KTpSAZA

Thanks,
    Geddy

I suggest a block of wood and really heavy mallet. I have had the axle get stuck in the hub or in a spacer and it took a lot of hitting to get the axle to move. WD-40 is your friend here too, just don't wash out the grease in the bearings.
    1981 Suzuki GS250T
    1982 Yamaha Seca Turbo
    1985 Suzuki GS550E
    2004 Suzuki GSF1200S

Comment

First of all,

Next, I agree that you need something not so absorbent as a rubber mallet, you need something a bit more "crisp", like a wood block or a plastic hammer.

Finally, you appear to either have the wrong forks for your bike or you don't have the bike you think you do.

You mention an "old GS550L", but did not mention the year. The "L" model did not appear until '79. I checked the parts fiche for '79-'82, all the "L" models had a leading-axle fork. Your fork is not the leading-axle type. What year is your bike, and what makes you think it's an"L"?

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

The right-hand fork lower is a piece I don't recognise at all, and the left-hand lower is a standard 550, as Steve said (ie not an 'L'). The plastic dust cover isn't standard. The left-hand side (disc, speedo drive, cable guide) all looks normal.

Please note, none of the above is a criticism, just an aid to determining what you have.

And yes, a good clout with a solid hammer on to a hardwood block will help free up your wheel spindle.
        1980 GS550ET

Comment

Leading axle type forks--I have them on my "T". This is an informative thread.

Ed
          GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
          GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
          GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)

Comment

The disk is also curious. Definitely not the early ('79/'80) style 'spokes', but not quite the same as the '81/'82 style, either.

I guess we'll have to wait until gtarbell realizes that this is a quickly-moving forum.

sigpic
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Just compared those pics to my 82 GS450txz, looks identical.
              1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
              1982 GS450txz (former bike)
              LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

I identify as a man but according to the label on a box of Stauffers Baked Lasagne I'm actually a family of four

Comment

I have an 83 GS 450L, and mine looks EXACTLY like this. Plastic dish and all. I just did mine last week. I used a small hammer to get it started, and had to chase it through still with a screwdriver wrapped in a rag and a hammer.
                20180728_145709.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  I guess we'll have to wait until gtarbell realizes that this is a quickly-moving forum.
                  Two days later and we are still waiting.

sigpic
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride

Comment

I have a 1985 550L, on the left fork leg (the brake side) there are two bolts holding the bottom of the fork around the axle. Mine bolts up straight but yours looks like it may be at an angle, that could be keeping the axle from sliding. Mine slides right out.
                    1985 GS 550L

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                      Two days later and we are still waiting.

A full WEEK later, and we are STILL waiting.
                      If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Comment

Working...
                      X