1978 GS750EC Caliper Piston source?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1978 GS750EC Caliper Piston source?

Looks like my front pistons are very slightly pitted around the base.
    This looks to be the OEM pad and piston set:
    59100-44823

I already have pads and seals, does anyone just sell the pistons and have stock or a perfect fit?

I've checked about the first three pages of google results and a few places mentioned on the forum. All seem to be out of stock.

I would be all over the salty monk upgrade if I had any metal working ability where I am at. Bolt-on caliper upgrades would be seriously considered. In case it matters, I have cast wheels and solid rotors, both original.

You may have to order from the UK. They have aftermarket (pattern) stainless steel pistons over there. Check ebay.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I've found pistons on wemoto; thankfully, the pitting on the pistons I had did not extend to the seals.

Maybe show us a picture of your pistons, they might still be good. To my knowledge, the corrosion will not extend if you keep your brake fluid in good nick.
      #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
      #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
      #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
      #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

IMG_1115b.jpg
        Here they are after cleaning. The bottom of one has some very light pitting as well.

Comment

While new ones would be ideal I'd check the surface area where the seal will be actually contacting the piston. If it's good there just dress the rough spots so there's no chance of tearing the seal when you reassemble.
          '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/
          https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4306/35860327946_08fdd555ac_z.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Soto View Post
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]55823[/ATTACH]
            Here they are after cleaning. The bottom of one has some very light pitting as well.
            Bottom pitting doesn't matter. About the pitting visible in the picture, I'm not sure. Right one seems to be a bit too close to the sealing area, Left one could work. Maybe someone more knowledgeable on this model could chime in.
            #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
            #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
            #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
            #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

Continuing to use those pistons may be OK but you'll won't really know until they start leaking - when will that be?
              Wemoto carries stainless steel pistons, put them in and forget about it....
              -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

I clicked on this thread to recommend Wemoto as well. I see a couple of folks already beat me to it. Their website is a bit rough to navigate, but their customer service is top notch.
                I have the same bike and just went through the same thing.

Make sure you order 38x40mm pistons. The 77 and non E models used the same smaller pistons up front as they did for the rear.
                I ordered and got the wrong pistons the first time around. Not a problem, I just used them for the rear calipers... That's what I mean about the website being a bit rough to navigate. Send a quote request first and specify your bike and 38x40mm pistons.

If anything, just call 01273 597072 (international, may have to use the country code for UK)
                Ask to speak to Nick.
                Last edited by Sam 78 GS750; 08-04-2018, 01:18 PM.
                sigpic

Check out my rebuild thread here: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...GS-750-Rebuild

Comment

Thanks for all the advice folks. I put in an order with wemoto.

Comment

I see you have already ordered, but you can also check with one of your neighbors.

GSR member Chuck Hahn is just up the road from you in Norman.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Wemoto or K&L Supply are my go to guys. And yes i am about 10 miles from you.
                      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I am a new rider, just got my endorsement and training course a couple months ago. I could push the bike with the front brake held when I bought it. One thing led to another and now every front brake component is being rebuilt. The master cylinder had no intact rubber in it. Suzuki rebuild kit is already in the master cylinder. K&L kits are already in the scrubbed out calipers. Hel brake lines - I either bought the wrong kits or they sent me the wrong thing so I'm waiting to hear back from them. I bought the bike in OKC and that is were I'm working on it in a friends loaned garage.

It looks like you are a mechanic, Chuck. I'll certainly keep you in mind as I'm going.
                        Last edited by Guest; 08-07-2018, 12:26 AM.

Comment

Or you can bring it to me and we can sort it together. I would take all the lines off and go see Sherrie at central Oklahoma Hose and have her make new ones too. They can usually make them as you wait. She makes all my lines for my own bikes and customer bikes. Gonna run around 70 bucks or so.....
                          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                            Or you can bring it to me and we can sort it together. I would take all the lines off and go see Sherrie at central Oklahoma Hose and have her make new ones too. They can usually make them as you wait. She makes all my lines for my own bikes and customer bikes. Gonna run around 70 bucks or so.....
                            That's really good. Even cheaper than building your own...
                            sigpic

Check out my rebuild thread here: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...GS-750-Rebuild

Comment

On the topic of wemoto pistons. They are telling me they have two sizes that are close:

"1 measures 37.98x41.00mm and the other measures 38.09x40.00mm."

I assume it is the 38.09x40 as that is closer to tolerances in the manual. I ask which because neither is within the service limit of 38.105.

On hoses, I will certainly check out Central OK Hose. Hel customer support isn't responding to my emails

Comment

Working...
                              X