'82 850GL: Fork air adjustments?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'82 850GL: Fork air adjustments?

I've found through research that the "best" settings for a single rider on the stock fork is 15 psi. Is it worth fussing around with the stock fork and trying to get the psi right, or just upgrade the springs and run no air at all?

EDIT: Should note, I'm taking the forks off to change the fork oil anyway, so adding in new springs wouldn't add much work on top of what I was already doing.
    Last edited by Rust_to_Redemption; 03-07-2019, 03:16 PM.
    1982 GS850GL - Shaved seat foam and new seat cover; Daytona handlebars and Tusk risers; Puig "Naked" Windscreen\
    1978 KZ200 - Mostly original, hydraulic front brake swap, superbike bars; purchased at 7k original miles
    Track bike project: 2008 Hyosung frame w/ 97 gs500E engine swap (in progress)

If you are going to have them apart anyway, it's pretty much a no-brainer.

Change the springs. Sonic Springs are a favorite here. Click the link, go to the rate calculator, choose what will work for you.

My wife's bike has Progressive (brand) springs, otherwise I would tell you what we used there. MY bike has Sonic Springs, but it also has a frame-mounted fairing and I am just a bit larger than the average guy, so I went with the 1.1 rate, which is the heaviest offered for the 850. Use 10w oil when you put it together, you will have a GREAT ride.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I have the same bike as yours. I'm running 1.0 rate sonic springs with no additional air. That's what the rate calculator worked up for me. It's a huge improvement over the stock setup.
      https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9zH8w8Civs8ejBJWjdvYi1LNTg&resourcekey=0-hlJp0Yc4K_VN9g7Jyy4KQg&authuser=fussbucket_1%40msn.com&usp=drive_fs
      1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
      1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

If your springs are original isn't it time to replace them anyway? I have new springs, and am attempting to restore the air capability also.

Just remember that you need a special hand air pump for the forks. A regular tire pump will blow out your fork seals.
        1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

I’ll agree that the sonic springs are the way to go. I used to have a regulator set to 12 psi that I’d use to fill up my forks, not sure how accurate it was, but both sides would at least be equal. It’s much easier, and so much better with the 0.95 sonic springs and no air.
          -1980 GS1100 LT
          -1975 Honda cb750K
          -1972 Honda cl175
          - Currently presiding over a 1970 T500

Comment

Originally posted by Tom R View Post
            It’s much easier, and so much better with the 0.95 sonic springs...
            I have Race Tech .90. Aside from the fact that I should have gone with 1.0, any difference between Sonic and Race Tech? Both are straight rate, no?
            1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
              ..., any difference between Sonic and Race Tech? Both are straight rate, no?
              I don't know of any differences in pricing, but Sonic Springs is owned by a member here, Rich Desmond.

sigpic
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Sorry, Rich. I'll go Sonic next time.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  I don't know of any differences in pricing, but Sonic Springs is owned by a member here, Rich Desmond.

Good to know!

Ed
                  GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                  GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                  GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                    I have Race Tech .90. Aside from the fact that I should have gone with 1.0, any difference between Sonic and Race Tech? Both are straight rate, no?
                    Yes, both are straight rate, made out of chrome-silicon steel, heat treated and shotpeened.

Here's links to both.

'20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

Hint: what we're saying here, is buy Sonic springs. Rich is a cool guy, a hoopy frood who knows where his towel is.

FWIW, all of my bikes are wearing Sonic springs.

They're great springs, a hell of a lot cheaper than Race Tech, they ship fast, and Rich will actually answer your questions. I've never once been able to get Racetech to pick up the phone or answer an email.
                      Last edited by bwringer; 03-09-2019, 01:00 PM.
                      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                        ...Rich is a cool guy, a hoopy frood who knows where his towel is.
                        Umm, thanks...I think...
                        '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

Good to know! Will definitely be putting in an order for some Sonic springs here shortly.
                          1982 GS850GL - Shaved seat foam and new seat cover; Daytona handlebars and Tusk risers; Puig "Naked" Windscreen\
                          1978 KZ200 - Mostly original, hydraulic front brake swap, superbike bars; purchased at 7k original miles
                          Track bike project: 2008 Hyosung frame w/ 97 gs500E engine swap (in progress)

Comment

"Hoopy frood who really knows where his towel is": a compliment (read Douglas Adams, Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy).

Anybody know where my towel is?

Comment

Do you have your lint?

sigpic
                              Family Portrait
                              Siblings and Spouses
                              Mom's first ride

Comment

Working...
                              X