Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are used shocks a bad idea?

Hello, GS people.

I need to replace the rear shocks on my 1980 GS850G. I'm considering getting some salvaged ones from ebay for pretty cheap, like as cheap as $20 shipped. (Of course, the 20-dollar shocks look pretty crusty. Might not matter though, because I might just paint them flat black or something anyway.) I really just need decent function. How concerned should I be about these old, salvaged ebay shocks already being worn out, meaning that they're not sealing well enough to do any dampening anymore?

--Nate

My sweet Suzuki GS bike: 1980 GS850G, black

My other bikes:
    2007 Vulcan 1600 Classic
    2004 Yamaha R6
    2007 Hyosung GV650

The old adage applies, "you get what you pay for". lol I would be weary of the crusty ones. A set off a low mileage bike should be ok though. Check the want ads to see if someone here is parting out an 850 or 1000G. They would be able to tell you if they still function or not.
    GSRick
    No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
    Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Although you do usually "get what you pay for", there is no guarantee that paying more will get you anything good.

I have a few pairs here that have been removed from our bikes as we have upgraded. If you want, I can get some pictures of them and let you decide which ones you want. Price would be about what you are looking at on eBay, but there is a little more confidence that they won't be junk.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I put a used Showa set on 4 years ago....cosmetically very good and still working fine. Recent eBay hunts turn up some ugly ones so beware . I'd go with Steve's offer
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

The ones I took off my 850 were still good - just under strong for my bulk (275#)
          I sold them to a member here who is using them on a bike - no worries -
          I feel like I am a trustworthy source however ; which you may not find on eBay
          STEVE is another trustworthy source in my opinion so if he has a set that he is willing to part with - hmmm..

I installed new HAGONS and couldn't be happier - but I spend money foolishly sometimes as well.
          Currently in the Stable :
          2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
          1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
          - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

Steve,

Thanks for responding.

Yes, I would be interested in seeing some photos of whatever shocks you have. Thanks for offering that.

--Nate

My sweet Suzuki GS bike: 1980 GS850G, black

My other bikes:
            2007 Vulcan 1600 Classic
            2004 Yamaha R6
            2007 Hyosung GV650

Comment

I'll dig them out this weekend and get some pics.

sigpic
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Like anything used, it’s always a bit of a crap shoot. At least with shocks it’s a relatively inexpensive gamble.
                I just put a used shock on my ES. It cost me $60, and is s nice upgrade over the stock one that failed.
                sigpic
                When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                -Rusty old scooter.
                Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

I have rear shocks removed from my 750T. I haven't disposed of them and could see someone using them.

Ed
                  GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                  GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                  GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                  Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                  Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

When a massive pothole blew the guts out of one of my Showa airshocks, I fitted a used set of OEM ones that were in fairly nice condition, but it soon became obvious they were lacking in damping. The springs were Ok, and I wondered about draining and refilling the oil with some fresh stuff of perhaps a grade heavier. Still might do it, as there's nothing else wrong with them, but they've been on the round-tuit pile for a couple of years and are basically stand-by shocks if any of the other bikes need them.
                    Meantime I scored a set of barely-used Showa air shocks from a Harley - many H-D owners want to upgrade shocks and exhaust systems that are perfectly serviceable and I discovered that some H-D model rear shocks are a perfect fit for mine. They've been fanstastic for the past few years.
                    Need to get another set soon, just for having some spare in case I need them.
                    ---- Dave
                    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
                      I have rear shocks removed from my 750T. I haven't disposed of them and could see someone using them.
                      Are 750 shocks eye-to-eye or eye-to-clevis?

He needs eye-to-eye for the 850.

sigpic
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

Eye-eye, Captain! lol

I beleive the 750s are eye to eye...let me see if I can find a thread I started with pics...

Ed
                        GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                        GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                        Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
                          Eye-eye, Captain! lol

I beleive the 750s are eye to eye...let me see if I can find a thread I started with pics...

Ed
                          Oops,

They are eye to clevis...but you knew that Steve. (Embarrassed face)

Ed
                          Last edited by GSXR7ED; 06-30-2019, 01:59 PM.
                          GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

Yep, lots of barely used Harley shocks around, and some are 13" eye-to-eye. No, they're not great quality, but likely better than 40 year old worn-out originals.

From what I can tell, most have 1/2" eyes. That works out to about 12.7mm which is slightly big but close enough to 12mm to work OK.
                            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I have a set of used Harley shocks that I had on an 850. I even updated the bushings to make them fit better. You can have them for a few bucks plus shipping. Email is linked on my name.
                              David
                              1998 Suzuki Bandit
                              1978 GS750 gone but not forgotten
                              1978 GS1000 - gone
                              1981 GS850 - gone

Comment

Working...
                              X