Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the easiest way to check swingarm bushings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's the easiest way to check swingarm bushings?

I was driving around the back roads yesterday practicing my cornering skills (or lack thereof) and while leaning pretty good into a nice sweeping corner I hit a little bump in the road and it gave me a rather unsettling feeling. Granted, this could be perfectly normal as I'm not usually a very aggressive cornering person (yes, Im kinda a wuss), or it could be my 35year old stock shocks, but I wanted to check my swingarm bushings this weekend. Whats the easiest way to check them?

And if I need to replace them, are there any that are better than stock?

Thanks!
    1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Originally posted by TxGSrider View Post
    I was driving around the back roads yesterday practicing my cornering skills (or lack thereof) and while leaning pretty good into a nice sweeping corner I hit a little bump in the road and it gave me a rather unsettling feeling. Granted, this could be perfectly normal as I'm not usually a very aggressive cornering person (yes, Im kinda a wuss), or it could be my 35year old stock shocks, but I wanted to check my swingarm bushings this weekend. Whats the easiest way to check them?

Thanks!
    If you still have you center stand, use it to lift the rear tire off the ground. You should be able to tell if there is any play by trying to move it in multiple directions, side to side, forward and back. there shouldn't be any movement. I'm sure there are plenty of companies that sell bushings, but I'd check with Suzuki, I doubt they are very expensive and you know they will fit.
    GSRick
    No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
    Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Originally posted by gsrick View Post
      If you still have you center stand, use it to lift the rear tire off the ground. You should be able to tell if there is any play by trying to move it in multiple directions, side to side, forward and back. there shouldn't be any movement. I'm sure there are plenty of companies that sell bushings, but I'd check with Suzuki, I doubt they are very expensive and you know they will fit.
      Thanks!
      I no longer have the center stand, but I have atv jack that I can lift it with to check.
      You guys are a big help.

Of course if I find out that they are in good shape, it probably confirms I'm just a wuss about cornering...
      1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

It will also help to remove the rear shocks, then you can hold the swingarm up and check for play in the swingarm bearings.

FWIW, this bike has needle bearings in the swingarm, not bushings.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
          It will also help to remove the rear shocks, then you can hold the swingarm up and check for play in the swingarm bearings.

FWIW, this bike has needle bearings in the swingarm, not bushings.
          Thank you for the additional info. I'll try to get out and check it this weekend.
          1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

Best thing to do is remove the swingarm and inspect the bearings and all the related parts up close and personal. After 37 years you can bet those bearings need grease regardless so even of the bearings are good doing this is not a waste of time.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
              Best thing to do is remove the swingarm and inspect the bearings and all the related parts up close and personal. After 37 years you can bet those bearings need grease regardless so even of the bearings are good doing this is not a waste of time.
              Well, yeah, I guess you're right.

If you take the shocks and wheel off, turn the radio off, and move the swingarm up and down, you can probably hear the poor parched bearings squeak.

Suzuki seemed to assemble bearings with .002 gram of ear wax (poor buggers were likely scraping their ears raw), and 35-40 years certainly hasn't improved matters.
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I guess my next question is, how hard are they to replace?
                1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

Not hard, but a pain in the butt because you need to get the old ones out first. It's been a while since I've done some but I want to say you have to grinding out the outer race part that's pressed into the swingarm.
                  Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I checked yesterday and it feels like they are beyond wore out. I guess I know what my next project is going to be.
                    1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

OEM parts are not that expensive and are the only place I would go for swingarm bearings.

Best thing to do is remove the swingarm and inspect the bearings and all the related parts up close and personal.
                      For the price of parts I wouldn't dream of pulling the swingarm off just to inspect things, I would just replace everything as preventative maintenance on a 37 year old bike.

I guess my next question is, how hard are they to replace?
                      Not really hard, but getting the old outer sleeve/race out of the swingarm can be difficult. I used a propane torch to heat the swingarm pivot tube up and break the old races loose. They came out with no fuss after I warmed the pivot tube up. You will need a long punch to reach across the width of the swingarm pivot tube and drive the sleeve out from the opposite side.

Not hard, but a pain in the butt because you need to get the old ones out first. It's been a while since I've done some but I want to say you have to grinding out the outer race part that's pressed into the swingarm.
                      Heat worked for me, but I live in a fairly low humidity/corrosion area (granted, my bike came from the east coast area before I got it, so it saw salt air there). Bikes that lived in high humidity or coastal regions may be worse off than mine was.

Mark
                      1982 GS1100E
                      1998 ZX-6R
                      2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

I got them replaced this weekend. Not too hard... just time consuming. It was 102 degrees outside under the carport, so I took a few breaks.
                        Last edited by TxGSrider; 08-12-2019, 02:48 PM.
                        1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

When I checked mine, they were extremely dry and rusted. I don't think they had ever been checked until I replaced them. Now they will get taken out and repacked every 2-3 years.
                          Larry

'79 GS 1000E
                          '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
                          '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
                          '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
                          '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend, now for sale.

Comment

Working...
                          X