Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS750B rear shock rebuild

Hi
    My GS750B has original shocks on them and as the bike came over from the USA and hasn’t spent it’s life in damp old blighty they are in rather nice condition but the seals have gone.

I would like to replace them myself, if that is possible, but can’t find anything in the threads that indicates this.

Is it possible? Are there rebuild kits? If so, where can I get my hands on them/cost etc?

Regards
    Adrian
    GS750b 1977 x 2
    GS750e project.....
    600 Bandit mk1
    Zx9r C1

As far as I know, the stock shocks are not easily rebuildable.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

You'd find somebody able to do them, but at a serious price.
      It would involve machining and fitting a modern seal, and probably no guarantee would come with it, either.
      For the likely price involved, it's more worth your money to simply put on a set of good modern shocks. There are some /many out there that look pretty close to the OEM shocks if you dig around.
      ---- Dave
      79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
      80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
      79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
      92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Thank you for the replies guys. Much appreciated. I shall start shopping for similar replacements.
        GS750b 1977 x 2
        GS750e project.....
        600 Bandit mk1
        Zx9r C1

Comment

Heck,

I took off a pair from my 1982/750T and replaced them with progressive rear shocks--Easy-peasy. This is an early pic of my bike:

And a pic from my time in New Mexico, 2013.

Ed
          Last edited by GSXR7ED; 03-07-2020, 06:47 PM.
          GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
          GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
          GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
          Originally posted by GSXR7ED
          Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

I've had my first experience of the Hagon shocks recently... Very impressive for the price & look stock.
            1980 GS1000G - Sold
            1978 GS1000E - Finished!
            1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
            1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
            2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
            1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
            2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I will have a look at the Hagons then, their factory shop is just across the river from me in Hainault.
              Many thanks.
              Adi
              GS750b 1977 x 2
              GS750e project.....
              600 Bandit mk1
              Zx9r C1

Comment

Yeah I would, a good choice for people in the UK. They ride better than the progressives and at least as good as the Koni's & the Works Performance on my skunk...

One comment that will be relevant to you.. the chrome on the springs doesnt seem to be as rust resistant as the stockers.
                1980 GS1000G - Sold
                1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Just so you know; the cheapest Hagons aren't repairable. The PO of my XJ fitted a pair of them and I was pi55ed to find they couldn't be re-done when one blew a seal. The Hagon factory would have happily taken my money for another set, but being a notorious skinflint I simply purchased another set of ex-Harley air shocks.
                  ---- Dave
                  79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                  80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                  79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                  92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

The rebuild process for stock Suzuki shocks consists of safely depositing them in a secure trash receptacle or recycling facility where there's no possibility that they will be installed on a motorcycle, then using the numbers found on a rectangular plastic object in your wallet to secure new ones.

In your case, Hagon shocks are a no-brainer. Might as well support the home team, and they are great shocks.
                    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                      The rebuild process for stock Suzuki shocks consists of safely depositing them in a secure trash receptacle or recycling facility where there's no possibility that they will be installed on a motorcycle, then using the numbers found on a rectangular plastic object in your wallet to secure new ones.

In your case, Hagon shocks are a no-brainer. Might as well support the home team, and they are great shocks.
                      Now I know what to do with the old ones I put in the box my new Progressives came in! Once I find the box! Lol

Ed

GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                      GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                      GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                      Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                      Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Hi All
                        Thank you again for all the advice and views. So I didn’t get over to Hagon’s in Hainault as I work in the NHS and it is a bit busy with the COVID-19 business at the moment......

So as a stop gap I found a pair of shocks on fleebay for £65, (not sure what that is in $ but not pretty cheap) that were in keeping with the originals, full chrome and similar style. The make is “Hi Level” which the Chinese must have thought a reasonable name for shocks!

I took the opportunity to strip down the whole backend, clean 40 years of muck off, respray the swing arm and frame etc as a temporary fix until I have time to strip and powder coat the whole thing properly. I have to say that the end result with the budget shocks looks ok.

I would love to post a picture of it with this message but for the life of me I cannot figure how the hell to upload a picture on here! Great though this forum is I find it really hard to pilot. This could of course just be my inability.😳

If someone can tell me how to I will do so forthwith. Happy to accept disparaging comments about my IT competence in due course!

Cheers
                        Adi
                        GS750b 1977 x 2
                        GS750e project.....
                        600 Bandit mk1
                        Zx9r C1

Comment

😂 Absolutely right!
                          GS750b 1977 x 2
                          GS750e project.....
                          600 Bandit mk1
                          Zx9r C1

Comment

Originally posted by Adi View Post
                            So as a stop gap I found a pair of shocks on fleebay for £65, (not sure what that is in $ but not pretty cheap) that were in keeping with the originals, full chrome and similar style. The make is “Hi Level” which the Chinese must have thought a reasonable name for shocks!
                            65GBP is about $76, which is dirt cheap. In fact, TOO cheap. There are EMGO brand shocks available on e-Bay that go for about $100 and are absolutely lousy, so I wish you luck with your "Hi Level" shocks.

sigpic
                            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                            Family Portrait
                            Siblings and Spouses
                            Mom's first ride
                            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Hi Steve
                              That’s what I figured but hopefully they will keep it bouncing until I can get some Hagon’s!😂
                              GS750b 1977 x 2
                              GS750e project.....
                              600 Bandit mk1
                              Zx9r C1

Comment

Working...
                              X