No announcement yet.

gs650 front brake build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buy new pads and I'd suggest pulling that piston out to clean and replace the seals.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

how do i fit those pieces that are leftout
      Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
      1982 XS650

Comment

cant purchase anything foranother week, i want to replace pads and such but, i dont know how for the frontbrake, and i also dont know a good way to get pistons out without being messy
        Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
        1982 XS650

Comment

Compressed air will help push them out but be careful as they can go flying. Additionally, you may have to pry very carefully and evenly from both sides with two flat head screwdrivers.

If I understand the design of those ones correctly, they'll just sit between the pad and the piston/caliper with the prongs facing down.
          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

are the $10 pads good, the ones all on ebay, im guessing if the material isnt expensive they could easily be $10 for a pad. if i can save $30 from not buying the oem one i would much rather do that.
            Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
            1982 XS650

Comment

There's cheap and then there's cheap.
              I tend to keep an eye open for New Old Stock of decent makes, like EBC, Ferodo, Girling, Carbon Lorraine and OEM from bankrupt stock or discontinued dealers' supplies.
              I avoid shopping directly by price from ebay and the like because all you end up with is junk.
              However, there are a couple of sources of cheap-ish pads which seem decent, even if they're likely made in China. Goldfren (that might not be available where you are) and Caltric. I've got Caltric pads on my XS and they've been fairly good.
              ---- Dave

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
                There's cheap and then there's cheap.
                I tend to keep an eye open for New Old Stock of decent makes, like EBC, Ferodo, Girling, Carbon Lorraine and OEM from bankrupt stock or discontinued dealers' supplies.
                I avoid shopping directly by price from ebay and the like because all you end up with is junk.
                However, there are a couple of sources of cheap-ish pads which seem decent, even if they're likely made in China. Goldfren (that might not be available where you are) and Caltric. I've got Caltric pads on my XS and they've been fairly good.
                gonna get the caltric for now, thanks for the suggestion.
                Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                1982 XS650

Comment

If you are using air to blow out the piston--
                  Use a paint stick (2 ) to 'catch' the piston as it pops out.
                  Watch your fingers -- or learn a lesson --it WILL hurt to get pinched.

Comment

Working...
                  X