straight spring replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

straight spring replacement

Hello, I'll delete this after, but i cant find a good sticky on straight or progressive spring replacement. Yes I've used the search and can't find anything decent. Looking to use straight springs. Just need a little help.

Looking specifically as to what springs to get and the spacer info.

sorry and thank you.

ps 1982 gs1100
    looking at sonic springs 1.00kg/mm
    Last edited by Guest; 04-07-2020, 06:03 PM.

I use Race Tech straight .9, though I probably should have gone with 1.0. I recall a member here has a company called Sonic, no bad reviews.

Most brands have a chart on their sites that will help you figure out which rate of spring to buy.
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by wrx603 View Post
      Hello, I'll delete this after, but i cant find a good sticky on straight or progressive spring replacement. Yes I've used the search and can't find anything. Looking to use straight springs. Just need a little help.

Looking specifically as to what springs to get and the spacer info.

sorry and thank you.

ps 1986 gs1100
      you want straight rate springs. Either Sonic Springs or Race-Tech will have what you need.
      I used to own Sonic, so I’m a little partial to them.

If you need any other info just ask.
      '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

sounds good, i did some more searching and found sonic, so you just install the new springs with pvc spacers? how do you know how much to trim them to?

Comment

sounds good, i did some more searching and found sonic, so you just install the new springs with pvc spacers? how do you know how much to trim them to?
          The springs will come with instructions that detail how to do that.

Give those read and let me know if you have questions.
          Last edited by RichDesmond; 04-07-2020, 09:32 PM.
          '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

awesome, that article along with the others on their page clears it up. thanks so much.
            So I will be doing fork seals and the new springs at the same time, is there any weird difference because I'm doing them simultaneously?

Sonic Springs tech
            Sonic Springs buy
            Sonic Springs sag

Comment

So I will be doing fork seals and the new springs at the same time, is there any weird difference because I'm doing them simultaneously?
              I was under the impression that simultaneously was the only proper way.
              1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

There is a substantial amount of effort to do any one of those tasks.
                That same effort needs to be repeated to do any of the others.
                Why not do all the effort ONCE?

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

awesome, that article along with the others on their page clears it up. thanks so much.

Sonic Springs tech
                  Sonic Springs buy
                  Sonic Springs sag
                  Best to do them together, less total work. Seals first, and then the springs and oil as it's all going back together.

A tip: Fork seals generally leak because of small nicks and dings in the fork tube. Those have sharp edges that tear up the sealing lip of the fork seals. If you don't address that the new seals will leak in short order. So, get some extra fine steel wool and lightly buff the tubes. Obviously most of the nicks will be on the front of the tubes, so concentrate there, but check all the way around in case the tubes have been off the bike at some point. Light buffing is the key, you don't want to go through the chrome. You don't need to get rid of the nicks completely, just knock the sharp edges off of them.

Comment

I'm getting ready to do this on my 1100e. I have new seals, retaining rings, dust covers and Sonic springs. Does the forks have to be completely disassembled for this task? Also my uppers have a hole in them that I am not clear what for...I thought mabey anti dive but not sure and my Clymers has no mention of it. Because of these holes in each would you install the forks into the triples, insert the set screws into those two holes THEN add fork oil and bottom them up while on the bike.
                    Quite honestly I have only rebuilt 2 sets of forks both on dirt bikes as I have always farmed that task out. I want to do these myself...cant be too awful bad I wouldn't think.
                    -1981 Suzuki GS1100E
                    -1975 Honda CB400 Super Sport
                    -1981 Vespa P200E
                    -1990 Ktm 540 dxc
                    -1982 Ktm 495
                    -1981 Ktm 495
                    -1989 Atk 406
                    -1987 Cr 500R
                    -1982 Yz 125

Comment

The small holes in your upper tubes are likely an air equalization port. Did you notice a couple of o-rings on the triples and a tube running between them?

That hole will be covered and sealed when you put the forks back in. With the Sonic springs you will not need to add any air, so no worries about the hole, since it will be covered.

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

[QUOTE=Steve;2597054]The small holes in your upper tubes are likely an air equalization port. Did you notice a couple of o-rings on the triples and a tube running between them?

That hole will be covered and sealed when you put the forks back in. With the Sonic springs you will not need to add any air, so no worries about the hole, since it will be covered.

Yes Steve exactly as you describe thank you
                        -1981 Suzuki GS1100E
                        -1975 Honda CB400 Super Sport
                        -1981 Vespa P200E
                        -1990 Ktm 540 dxc
                        -1982 Ktm 495
                        -1981 Ktm 495
                        -1989 Atk 406
                        -1987 Cr 500R
                        -1982 Yz 125

Comment

Originally posted by RichDesmond View Post
                          The springs will come with instructions that detail how to do that.

Give those read and let me know if you have questions.
                          nice share
                          Last edited by Guest; 04-08-2020, 01:42 PM.

Comment

Jacinda, would you please do an intro in the introductions thread:

Use this forum to tell everyone the details about the GS that you own and a little about yourself as well.
                            "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                            ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                            1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
                              Jacinda, would you please do an intro in the introductions thread:

https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...?101-GS-Owners
                              I don't think bots can.
                              ---- Dave
                              79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                              80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                              79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                              92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Working...
                              X