I don't think bots can.
    Yeppers ...
    "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
    1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by Cwoods View Post
      I'm getting ready to do this on my 1100e. I have new seals, retaining rings, dust covers and Sonic springs. Does the forks have to be completely disassembled for this task? Also my uppers have a hole in them that I am not clear what for...I thought mabey anti dive but not sure and my Clymers has no mention of it. Because of these holes in each would you install the forks into the triples, insert the set screws into those two holes THEN add fork oil and bottom them up while on the bike.
      Quite honestly I have only rebuilt 2 sets of forks both on dirt bikes as I have always farmed that task out. I want to do these myself...cant be too awful bad I wouldn't think.
      I just took some JBs Weld and plugged those holes. I smoothed out any roughness with with some 2000 grit paper.
      sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
      1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
      2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

I'm getting ready to do this on my 1100e. I have new seals, retaining rings, dust covers and Sonic springs. Does the forks have to be completely disassembled for this task? Also my uppers have a hole in them that I am not clear what for...I thought mabey anti dive but not sure and my Clymers has no mention of it. Because of these holes in each would you install the forks into the triples, insert the set screws into those two holes THEN add fork oil and bottom them up while on the bike.
        Quite honestly I have only rebuilt 2 sets of forks both on dirt bikes as I have always farmed that task out. I want to do these myself...cant be too awful bad I wouldn't think.
        I think you will find it easier to put "The measured amount of oil"in the tubes while out of the triples.
        Larry

'79 GS 1000E
        '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
        '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
        '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
        '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend, now for sale.

Comment

Originally posted by alke46 View Post
          I think you will find it easier to put "The measured amount of oil"in the tubes while out of the triples.
          Easier, but less accurate.
          '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

Originally posted by RichDesmond View Post
            Easier, but less accurate.
            I'm not sure I agree with that although I know you have more experience than I. I found it quite easy to measure the exact amount. I use something like a dip stick method.
            Larry

'79 GS 1000E
            '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
            '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
            '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
            '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend, now for sale.

Comment

Originally posted by alke46 View Post
              I'm not sure I agree with that although I know you have more experience than I. I found it quite easy to measure the exact amount. I use something like a dip stick method.
              If you're measuring the volume of oil that you're putting in, yes, you can measure that quite accurately. The problem is that's not the parameter that directly matters. What does matter is the volume of air in the forks. That affects the amount of progressivity in the final spring rate (steel spring + air spring) of the fork, which is very important. Measuring the oil level is the best way to do that.
              '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

I'm getting ready to do this on my 1100e. I have new seals, retaining rings, dust covers and Sonic springs. Does the forks have to be completely disassembled for this task?
                Since I didn't see this addressed, it is pretty challenging to change fork seals without taking the forks apart and if you are going that far you might as well pull them apart to inspect the bushings for wear as well.

Mark
                1982 GS1100E
                1998 ZX-6R
                2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

I just completed this on my '82 1100E, replaced bushings and seals. I bought the Suzuki inner bolt removal tool that I could have made, it worked but not as well as a bolt on a length of all-thread as recommended elsewhere. So that was $25 down the drain. It's messy and a bit tedious but not that hard. I found that assembly flat is the key to not dropping things inadvertently, I found.
                  Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                  '79 GS100E
                  Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Originally posted by mmattockx View Post
                    Since I didn't see this addressed, it is pretty challenging to change fork seals without taking the forks apart and if you are going that far you might as well pull them apart to inspect the bushings for wear as well.

Mark
                    Yes thank you. I did in fact disassemble the forks in the end, it wasnt that big of a chore and the tool aa breeze to knock together with the all thread and a bolt tacked to end. I inspected and cleaned everything before installing the new seals and dust covers...Im actually here to lookup how much fork oil to add. I took the advice of others here and JB'd the holes in the upper tubes for the air equalize system since I went with Sonic springs. I want to get em ready to install tomorrow as I go forward with getting my list completed for this 1100.
                    -1981 Suzuki GS1100E
                    -1975 Honda CB400 Super Sport
                    -1981 Vespa P200E
                    -1990 Ktm 540 dxc
                    -1982 Ktm 495
                    -1981 Ktm 495
                    -1989 Atk 406
                    -1987 Cr 500R
                    -1982 Yz 125

Comment

Yes thank you. I did in fact disassemble the forks in the end, it wasnt that big of a chore and the tool aa breeze to knock together with the all thread and a bolt tacked to end. I inspected and cleaned everything before installing the new seals and dust covers...Im actually here to lookup how much fork oil to add. I took the advice of others here and JB'd the holes in the upper tubes for the air equalize system since I went with Sonic springs. I want to get em ready to install tomorrow as I go forward with getting my list completed for this 1100.
                      Set the oil level to 120mm, using the method outlined in the instructions. Any questions, just ask.

Comment

Originally posted by RichDesmond View Post
                        Set the oil level to 120mm, using the method outlined in the instructions. Any questions, just ask.
                        Are you saying 120mm from fluid to top of fork tube with fork fully compressed? I converted 120mm to be 4.72 inches, I used the stock manual and have it at 8.5 inches of space but they are not on the bike yet so if it's supposed to be the 4.72 inches then I will do that tomorrow before installing them. Am I following your advice correctly ?
                        -1981 Suzuki GS1100E
                        -1975 Honda CB400 Super Sport
                        -1981 Vespa P200E
                        -1990 Ktm 540 dxc
                        -1982 Ktm 495
                        -1981 Ktm 495
                        -1989 Atk 406
                        -1987 Cr 500R
                        -1982 Yz 125

Comment

Are you saying 120mm from fluid to top of fork tube with fork fully compressed? I converted 120mm to be 4.72 inches, I used the stock manual and have it at 8.5 inches of space but they are not on the bike yet so if it's supposed to be the 4.72 inches then I will do that tomorrow before installing them. Am I following your advice correctly ?
                          Yes, basically you're measuring the air gap. Fork fully compressed, spring and spacer removed.
                          There should have been instructions with the springs with all the details.

Comment

Working...
                          X