1982 GS1100 Front Brakes arent making pressure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 GS1100 Front Brakes arent making pressure

Hi, I was recently redoing my 82 Gs1100's brakes and after all is said and done, i cant get pressure to build in the system. I rebuilt both front brakes, as well as installed new brake pistons and replaced the brake pads. I replaced my old rubber lines with stainless steel lines. I was thinking maybe it was the master cylinder, but when i pulled that out (and noticed i had the wrong rebuild kit) it looked perfectly fine. I even filled it up with fluid and manually pumped it and was able to build some pressure with my thumb on the whole. However, i noticed that when i pumped the M/C, fluid would shoot out of the exit hole in the reservoir, and i mean like properly shoot out, a good 4-5 inches. Is this normal, or do i just need to keep searching and get the right rebuild kit?
    Any advice is greatly appreciated!!

Also, forgot to add, it does build *some* pressure, but its only right as it reaches the grip.
    Last edited by FlordiaMan; 05-22-2020, 12:09 PM. Reason: Additional info

There are 2 holes in the bottom of the reservoir. One is really tiny. Did you make sure they’re both clear? (Pic is before I cleaned it)

Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
      There are 2 holes in the bottom of the reservoir. One is really tiny. Did you make sure they’re both clear? (Pic is before I cleaned it)

Yes, my reservoir is actually really clean. i can see both holes clearly and they are pretty clean.

Comment

Air in the line is a common nuisance here when bleeding the lines. You will find lots of similar posts in this thread with multiple solutions...If you follow the manuals bleeding instruction, I find it still helps to get a syringe and suck air/fluid/bubbles from the "tiny hole"while moving the handlever in between... There seems to be a bubble that can build up there seeing as air bubbles want to move upward. Tapping the line might help get these bubbles up but perhaps they are getting trapped at 90 degree course changes...at the union for twin calipers and up at the master.

Another option is to use a pump or a large syringe to pump the fluid upward from the calipers. Some say just tying the lever halfway overnight does the trick.

Comment

Hey Flordia, just wondering the brand of the wrong rebuild kit?? A few yrs. back I bought a front kit, for my "83" GS1100E from "All Balls", appx. half parts were incorrect & the other half were correct. Good luck with the fluid, sometimes really aggravating.
          1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

The fluid shooting out is from the return I assume mine does this and works fine.
            1983 GS 550 LD
            2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
              Hey Flordia, just wondering the brand of the wrong rebuild kit?? A few yrs. back I bought a front kit, for my "83" GS1100E from "All Balls", appx. half parts were incorrect & the other half were correct. Good luck with the fluid, sometimes really aggravating.
              Its a K&L rebuild hit. I got it from Z1 Enterprises. It looks completely wrong, as i took out my master cylinder and then looked at the kit and nothing rly matched.

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
                Air in the line is a common nuisance here when bleeding the lines. You will find lots of similar posts in this thread with multiple solutions...If you follow the manuals bleeding instruction, I find it still helps to get a syringe and suck air/fluid/bubbles from the "tiny hole"while moving the handlever in between... There seems to be a bubble that can build up there seeing as air bubbles want to move upward. Tapping the line might help get these bubbles up but perhaps they are getting trapped at 90 degree course changes...at the union for twin calipers and up at the master.

Another option is to use a pump or a large syringe to pump the fluid upward from the calipers. Some say just tying the lever halfway overnight does the trick.
                So i left the brakes depressed overnight, and it was a little firmer but still, it just wasnt building enough pressure. I even re-bled the calipers and master cylinder and still wouldnt build more pressure. I took my screwdriver and gave everything some very loving love taps.

Comment

On a quick note, ive noticed my brakes move when i press on them. As in the whole caliper moves. Is that normal or is that the problem?

Comment

Originally posted by FlordiaMan View Post
                    Its a K&L rebuild hit.
                    There's your problem. I would only go OEM on brake components, they are too critical to trust to flaky aftermarket companies. You don't say which 1100 model you have, but you want the 'Cup Set, Master' or 'Piston Cup Set', depending on which model you have. For the E it is part #59600-49831. For the G and GL models it is #59600-45831. It may cost a bit more than aftermarket, but it will be OEM quality and the correct parts that will work properly with no issues.

I even re-bled the calipers and master cylinder and still wouldnt build more pressure.
                    So, your lines are full of fluid and you can move fluid through them as per usual when bleeding the brakes except no pressure builds? Have you tried vacuum bleeding them or filling from the bottom with a large syringe?

On a quick note, ive noticed my brakes move when i press on them. As in the whole caliper moves. Is that normal or is that the problem?
                    That is normal. There is only a piston on one side of the caliper and the body slides on the pins to clamp the far side brake pad onto the rotor as the piston pushes on the near side brake pad.

Mark
                    1982 GS1100E
                    1998 ZX-6R
                    2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Originally posted by mmattockx View Post
                      There's your problem. I would only go OEM on brake components, they are too critical to trust to flaky aftermarket companies. You don't say which 1100 model you have, but you want the 'Cup Set, Master' or 'Piston Cup Set', depending on which model you have. For the E it is part #59600-49831. For the G and GL models it is #59600-45831. It may cost a bit more than aftermarket, but it will be OEM quality and the correct parts that will work properly with no issues.

So, your lines are full of fluid and you can move fluid through them as per usual when bleeding the brakes except no pressure builds? Have you tried vacuum bleeding them or filling from the bottom with a large syringe?

That is normal. There is only a piston on one side of the caliper and the body slides on the pins to clamp the far side brake pad onto the rotor as the piston pushes on the near side brake pad.

Mark
                      I tried both reverse bleeding and vacuum bleeding. I was able to push up some old fluid from the T section I think, but no air. Could my banjo bolts be causing the problem. One of them has a slight leak, but it’s only when I pressure it over night. I wasn’t able to replace them as I didn’t know where to get the right bolts from. My stainless steel kit came with the wrong ones. As for rebuilding the calibers again with an own kit, I used the oem Suzuki seals that came with my new pistons. My bike is a 1100G

Comment

Originally posted by Cipher View Post
                        The fluid shooting out is from the return I assume mine does this and works fine.
                        It sounds from your posts that things are improving so ,working from the assumption that all else is GOOD, that's when I use the syringe there...squeeze brake lever slowly to halfway-2/3ds, suck fluid out of tiny hole with it, repeat....I'm usually suprised by the air bubbles that show up after a few tries....

if this is the "cure", the brake lever hardens up as you get some bubbles out.

You mention the banjo bolts...and washers? Can you use the old ones? I do.
                        Last edited by Gorminrider; 05-25-2020, 11:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
                          It sounds from your posts that things are improving so ,working from the assumption that all else is GOOD, that's when I use the syringe there...squeeze brake lever slowly to halfway-2/3ds, suck fluid out of tiny hole with it, repeat....I'm usually suprised by the air bubbles that show up after a few tries....

if this is the "cure", the brake lever hardens up as you get some bubbles out.

You mention the banjo bolts...and washers? Can you use the old ones? I do.
                          One of the banjo bolts has a very small leak. When i leave the break depressed over night it has a few drops come out. so ive ordered a new banjo bolt as well as some seal-o-washers to see if i can get it to stop. The copper ones that came with my braided lines didnt seem to do the trick. As for the other banjo bolts i re-used them and just ran some carb cleaner because of all the rust in the lines. Imma gonna spend a few hours trying to bleed my breaks again and see if i can get the brakes tight enough to be able to ride.

Comment

One of the banjo bolts has a very small leak. When i leave the break depressed over night it has a few drops come out. so ive ordered a new banjo bolt as well as some seal-o-washers to see if i can get it to stop. The copper ones that came with my braided lines didnt seem to do the trick. As for the other banjo bolts i re-used them and just ran some carb cleaner because of all the rust in the lines. Imma gonna spend a few hours trying to bleed my breaks again and see if i can get the brakes tight enough to be able to ride.
                            I put a new master cylinder assembly on, as well as new washers. I even used the seal washers to see if I could get a better seal. Still, the T-Section of my brake lines leaks like crazy, and I still can’t seem to build full brake pressure. I don’t feel pressure until about half way down the lever. I vacuum bled them to make sure air was out of the system, and still nothing. I don’t understand

Comment

I know i might be just talking to myself at this point, but a lot of post i see dont ever rap up or conclude. I tested each caliper individually by hooking up the old brake assembly to see if they would build pressure. It looks like either the double banjo or T joint is allowing pressure to leak. I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who helped me and gave me advice, you guys are a foundation to my restoration!

Comment

Working...
                              X