My rear brake is dragging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Noreg,

I'm just a GS owner that has done many of the things you're getting into and am by no means a mechanic, unlike others who have chimed in here, so take this advice for what it's worth.

Another member (Steve) answered several of my questions using this format and I found it most helpful so I'll try it here. My comments are in red.

Can I just buy
    Snell Custom Made Brake Lines? They are braided stainless steel. And they make them to order, so I won't have to do anything complicated (beyond attaching them).

Yes, but It may be a good idea to call the supplier and verify that you're getting the right set. Also, see if the set includes banjo bolts and crush washers. I reused my old banjo bolts and just used new crush washers. My set came in slightly different sizes than stock so I laid the old set next to the new set and matched up the lengths as close as possible. They were rather curled up from shipping so heat from a hair dryer helped soften them up to straighten out. Also, if you need the new lines to bend slightly (not so sharp they kink) the hair dryer really helps there too. The new lines are much smaller in diameter than the fat rubber ones and may not be held tightly in place. You'll need some short pieces of rubber hose or something to use as bushings where the lines are held to the frame.

I think the rear brake is getting worse. I figured if I am taking the brake pads out, I might as well replace them. What is best? Goldfren, SBS Cermaic or Brembo Carbon-Ceramic? Goldfren is a lot cheaper (149, vs 399 and 420 NOK).

Maybe someone else can comment on those brands. I've had good luck with EBC Semi-Sintered brake pads. If you're unfamiliar with the differences, this is informative. Just FYI, when your system is all reassembled initially, it won't stop on a dime. You'll need to make several hard stops to get the new pads seated on the rotors and it will get progressivly better. Oh, you previously asked about rotors. They are not hard to replace if you choose to, and they can be found on Ebay for pretty cheap. There are also companys that resurface them, like Tru Disk.

If I have to take off the calipers anyways to clean them, I figure I should repaint them. Can I get a good rattlecanjob or should I have someone professional to paint them? There is a car repair place down the street from work (does like damage stuff, they painted my merc when some dude scratched it in a parking lot).

Brake fluid will make paint bubble up. It is like paint stripper so if you paint them be sure to use something super durable, not the cheapest spray paint on the shelf. After disassembling them, taking them to the auto shop may be a good idea, especially if they can powder coat them for you. They can be powder coated in a household oven, but I've never done that.

I also need a website that sells ALL the suzuki parts. In norway we have to pay a fee to be granted the priviledge of paying VAT on imports, so making one large order is cheaper than many small ones. I figured I might as well buy all the brake stuff, the oil filter cover bolts and stuff, and the cam chain tensioner stuff. Also an advantadge if they accept Amex and won't bankrupt me on shipping.

There are many parts places here in the states, and online, but not sure which would be best to ship over there. Many of us use PartsOutlaw quite often. YMMV

Is my brake fluid supposed to be yellow? Im used to it being red.

Yes. A slight yellow tint is normal, sort of like apple juice. That's a good sign. Mine was more like coffee when I got it. Even if the fluid is fresh and clean, it can still have junk in the system that won't flush out. In my case, I replaced the pads and brake lines. It made a tremendous difference in the stopping power, but the rear brake continued to drag ever so slightly. Much like yours, it got worse. I eventually had to back track and take it all apart later on, so doing this all at once will save you time in the long run.

Bleeding the system is pretty straight forward. It takes a bit of a contortionist to bleed the left front caliper, but it's possible. Also, it takes a while to build up pressure. Just be patient, squeeze the lever, loosen the nipple, tighten the nipple, release the lever.....and repeat. Always making sure there's enough fluid in the MC to avoid pushing air through. There are
    vacuum bleeders that supposedly simplify the process, but I've always just manually bled them.

Wow, I've rambled long enough. Hope it helps.
    Last edited by Burque73; 05-25-2020, 05:37 PM. Reason: spelling
    Roger

Current rides
    1983 GS 850G
    2003 FJR 1300A
    Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

IF you want to repaint calipers and master cylinders you must use caliper paint. Its formulated to resist harm from brake fluid getting on it. Note the directions state it " fully cures in 7 days ". Im single so i let them set overnight and then bake them in the oven at 200 F for 2 hours..then leave them for the remaining 6 days. Havent had one bubble up yet.

I use regular rattle can paint from auto parts store.
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by Noreg View Post
        I also need a website that sells ALL the suzuki parts. In norway we have to pay a fee to be granted the priviledge of paying VAT on imports, so making one large order is cheaper than many small ones.
        Noreg, do you have to pay VAT on packages from friends? Could maybe someone, even there in Europe, might be able to make the purchases for you, mail it to you as a regular package, then you pay them back for it?
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
          Noreg, do you have to pay VAT on packages from friends? Could maybe someone, even there in Europe, might be able to make the purchases for you, mail it to you as a regular package, then you pay them back for it?
          I use this end around when my brother buys parts for his old Harley. He orders from the UK, has them sent to me and I repackage and send on saying they're birthday presents....
          -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
            The limit is a 1000 nok (100 eur/dollars ish). But the VAT isn't really a big deal, its the fees I need to minimize. If I could find a EU store that sells I can ship it post restante to sweden (its like, send it to a post office) and then just drive across the border to pick it up. Abisko (I believe they have a post office) is only two and a half hour away, and I could stack up on cheap swedish alcohol (cheap by Norwegian standards, not by anywhere else standards).

I washed my bike before dropping it off at the shop for the front suspension leak and the steering bearing. When rolling it into the washing area I noticed the brakes only snag once at every tire rotation. Does this indicate that my rotor is warped? It has a noticable groove going around the whole disk.

I am a little tempted to put in a big order at Partzilla for the parts I lack. New airfilter, the nuts, bolts and washers for the oil filter cover, the piston set, the spring, and a new brake rotor. Possibly original mirrors and clutch/brake levers too. And the cam chain tensioner things. It would be pricy (it costs half as much as my bike), but then it would all be good again. It seems maybe that the brake rotors are cheaper other places (a german website has them at $168 dollars).

Restoring my original rotor seems like a good idea, but the idea of being bikeless for weeks while waiting for it in the middle of the seaon seems pretty sad. But Ill definitively keep the old one and bring it when I go to the US next time. Alternatively I could find a used rotor in the US, send it to be refurbished and get it shipped here.

I found a hose with a flowback valve, that is used to bleed brakes. Is this something that would be worthwhile? The vacum pumping thing seems like a massive PITA and I don't have room for all these one off tools.

I guess I could start off by buying the new brake lines, and pads and valve set and springs and piston set and see if that makes a difference.

My Clymer manual says if any grooves can snag a fingernail, if my understanding of snag is correct my rotor can do that, it should be replaced.
            GS1000G 1981

Comment

Have you looked at www.cmsnl.com? I'm not sure what their shipping policy to Norway is, but I know their shipping to the UK is not too bad.

Disc skimming needn't take long - some places over here do it on the vehicle, while you wait.

Finally, discs were common across most of the Suzuki range at the time your bike was built. There are plenty of second-hand discs available with service life left. Your manual will tell you what the service limits are.

Oh, and there's no point fitting pads first, then replacing your disc(s) - get the disc sorted, then fit new pads.
              1980 GS550ET

Comment

Originally posted by steveb922 View Post
                Have you looked at www.cmsnl.com? I'm not sure what their shipping policy to Norway is, but I know their shipping to the UK is not too bad.

Disc skimming needn't take long - some places over here do it on the vehicle, while you wait.

Finally, discs were common across most of the Suzuki range at the time your bike was built. There are plenty of second-hand discs available with service life left. Your manual will tell you what the service limits are.

Oh, and there's no point fitting pads first, then replacing your disc(s) - get the disc sorted, then fit new pads.
                isn't it stainless? doesn't it need rotary surface grinding? Is noreg still driving the bike?
                1983 GS 550 LD
                2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Originally posted by steveb922 View Post

CMSNL seems reasonably priced. At least for the rotor. Shipping was also cheap. I guess tomorrow Ill go through the list and try to get the parts I need, and maybe a few wants too (I sooo want the original mirrors and brake/clutch levers, one of mine is silver, other is super worn black). I also need to get the oil filter cover bolts and nuts and the cam chain tensioner o-rings. Hopefully that will conserve a bit of my oil.

I think its hard to find people that do disc skimming in Norway, the prices for an hour at the shop is like $100, so mostly we just get new parts. When the borders open I can go elsewhere, but not really an option now.

The paint on my disc is somewhat worn too, so a new one would make it look better.
                  GS1000G 1981

Comment

Originally posted by Cipher View Post
                    isn't it stainless? doesn't it need rotary surface grinding? Is noreg still driving the bike?
                    I am still riding it. I really don't want to park it for any lenght of time.

I can deal with a slight drag and some wroot wroot wroot sound. But it has started to whine when I brake, which annoys me.

I also want to try to remove the brake lever, to see if it will clear whatever is snagging. Maybe I can just adjust it looser to get more clearance. I need to remove some rust on the lever and get the adjustment bolt out anyways (I broke the top of it).
                    GS1000G 1981

Comment

Mass-market discs are cast iron. Over here we'd use a brake lathe, which may well be the same as your rotary surface grinding - i'm not sure about your terminology. Whatever, it's not the same as having a cylinder head skimmed.

Only noreg can answer your third question!
                      1980 GS550ET

Comment

I surrendered and ordered a piston kit (OEM) and a brake pad (also OEM). I will also get new brake lines from snell (braided steel) when I get the shipping number. No hurry.
                        GS1000G 1981

Comment

If you're riding and the brake is dragging, even a little, doesn't that cause very excessive heat at the rotor?
                          1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
                            If you're riding and the brake is dragging, even a little, doesn't that cause very excessive heat at the rotor?
                            It gets warm, but not burn your hand hot. So not a big issue, i think. Not sure what I can try without psrts. But im sure they will be here in a week or two.
                            GS1000G 1981

Comment

Originally posted by Noreg View Post
                              It gets warm, but not burn your hand hot. So not a big issue, i think. Not sure what I can try without psrts. But im sure they will be here in a week or two.
                              Did you try this?

does this caliper use hard steel pins that the pad backing plates slide on?
                              If so NB these will rust and cause problems all by themselves. A quick clean with wet\dry sand paper to polish them smooth removes them as a source of trouble.
                              Roger

Current rides
                              1983 GS 850G
                              2003 FJR 1300A
                              Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Originally posted by Burque73 View Post
                                Did you try this?
                                I did not. But after washing my bike today they seemed better, so this makes sense, the pressure hose could have moved some rust around. I will try tomorrw.
                                GS1000G 1981

Comment

Working...
                                X