Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

front springs ? help

hi guys
    need some help , I ve just got the bike GSX 1100 1981 a month ago and I noticed the fork springs are very soft... I ve read on the manual that its possible to stiffen them by turning the top from A softest to B- C -D position stiffest ... but its looks like it stuck , does not turn I don't even know in which position ? need some advice bike its very soft on the front ... very

IMG_1375.jpg

The adjuster is notched deeply and to turn it you have to first push it down about 10 to 12mm and move it left or right.
    There's an o-ring in there too, which is probably stuck to the alloy and the steel adjuster shaft might be corroded to the alloy cap, too. I'd leave some penetrating fluid soaking in the recesses for a day or two before whacking them.
    If you have no luck freeing them off, you can always remove them just like an ordinary cap and attack them at the workbench, with heat and percussive prejudice.
    ---- Dave
    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Keep in mind that turning the adjuster won’t make the springs stiffer or softer. It will just move the front end up or down. You really need better springs.
      '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

And we would be remiss to not mention that one of the better choices for new springs would be Sonic Suspension. Go to their site, there will be a choice of spring strengths that are based on your bike, your personal gravitational attraction and your riding style. If you happen to fit in between the rates available, go for the stronger one, and select 10w fork oil to add to the renewed forks.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Whichever company you buy from, most recommend straight, as opposed to progressive rate springs. (I put Race Tech .90 straight rate in my 11E, probably should have gone up a step to 1.0. New oil and seals, of course.)
          1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Today in the meanwhile we charged the air pressure in the forks... not sure if I can feel the difference , any info about this ? also changed the damping knob on the bottom but also there I can not tell the difference... which setting do you recommend ? mostly cruising ...not too fast riding

Thanks for the suggestions ... I m looking into new springs too... progressive or linear ?

Comment

If you are going to add cartridge emulators... definitely linear. If not then either will work ok.

the ones recommended by Sonic or Race Tech are basically what the progressive springs resort too once the soft bit becomes coil bound... (at that point the soft bit becomes a solid spacer as there is no gap between the coils and the rest of the spring takes over) I did all the math on it a few years back.
              1980 GS1000G - Sold
              1978 GS1000E - Finished!
              1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
              1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
              2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
              1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
              2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

thank you for the help , I ll look into it

Comment

Working...
                X