GS(X)1100ESD Anti Dive units

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS(X)1100ESD Anti Dive units

I know a lot of people used to remove them and put a blanking plate over the holes and drop the extra brake line and go back to a single bolt.....

My GS(X)1100ESD still has the original Anti Dive system hooked up.

Has anyone ever been inside them and are there any serviceable parts such as seals and or valves that fail or need replacing over time. I'm looking at getting her running and my front brake system seems very soft and I was wondering if the anti dive unit had an issue.

I'm loathed at taking it all off as I don't know what will happen as there is holes in the fork tubes to allow oil to flow into the unit and blocking it off.

Would appreciate some help here guys.

Cheers.

Easiest thing to do, is just disconnect the lines, and plug the holes. Keeps the forks sealed and looks original.

If you take them off and use a plate, it needs to be grooved to allow the fork oil to move.

Either way, you are going to want to replace the brake lines, (yours are old, old, old), with new ones, (non-antidive).

I plugged the the lines with plastic body panel plugs from Ace Hardware.

Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
    '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki Mad View Post
      Has anyone ever been inside them and are there any serviceable parts such as seals and or valves that fail or need replacing over time. I'm looking at getting her running and my front brake system seems very soft and I was wondering if the anti dive unit had an issue.
      Your service manual should cover the anti-dive units and show the guts of them. I blocked mine out the same as Baatfam did, except I cut a couple banjo bolts shorter and used those to block the holes. I replaced my brake lines with a 2 line braided stainless set up. If your lines are still OEM they need to be replaced and you should probably rebuild the master cylinder and calipers while you are at it. The brakes won't be great after that, but they will be as good as possible and that is where you want to be.

Mark
      1982 GS1100E
      1998 ZX-6R
      2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Working...
      X