Rebuilt front brake binding on the brake piston side: single disc '77 GS750

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rebuilt front brake binding on the brake piston side: single disc '77 GS750

So I finally managed to get around to rebuilding the front brake caliper. Replaced all the rubber bits and the piston seal. Even managed to finagle getting the piston boot into the finicky little slot on the inside of the caliper. Brand new pads, installed into their respective places as deeply as they will go.

Problem is that even with the piston pushed all the way into the the cylinder the brake pad on that side binds on the disc. And on the other side, even with the caliper 'slid' over towards the disc there is a gap between the pad and the disc. It's almost as if the whole caliper is offset to the left. I am scratching my head because I cannot figure out what I am missing.

Obviously the brake didn't bind back before I stripped it off the bike...

The pic shows the gap on the wheel side. I cannot get a clear pic of the binding side.

What am I missing?
    Attached Files

The rubbish bin maybe... Just yanking your chain but unless originality is really important there are many better options than the original caliper. That one is the worst of all of them

If the sliders are free then either it's spaced incorrectly (unlikely) or the piston is not seated correctly I would think. The piston controls the sliding half not the other way around.
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I’m guessing you have a spacer(washer?) in a different position when you threaded your axle back through the speedo drive, wheel, and various spacers than it was before you took everything apart. Unless you never removed the axle and wheel. If you didn’t, then never mind. Ignore me.
      Rich
      1982 GS 750TZ
      2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
      Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Hmmm, an alternative caliper. Do tell... are there simple bolt-on options?

Comment

Hmm... not sure about yours, but I can tell you that the 79 GS850 uses the same hockey-puck calipers and they can be replaced directly with the 80-onwards calipers which are far better.
          Yours, being the single disc version likely uses a different caliper mounting bracket to mine, but there's a very strong possibility that the later caliper body itself will bolt straight on to the carrier bracket. But it might not... you need to look for a single disc 80-up model to see if there's a difference in carrier bracket.
          ---- Dave
          79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
          80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
          79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
          92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
            I’m guessing you have a spacer(washer?) in a different position when you threaded your axle back through the speedo drive, wheel, and various spacers than it was before you took everything apart.
            I thought that, too, since I did have the front wheel off to change the tyre. And yes, the situation makes it look like the wheel itself is off-set. Apart from having the axle bolt through from the wrong side in the first instance, the spacers under the fork end caps are exactly the same length and the only washer is the one under the castellated retaining nut, which is outside the forks.

So I am flummoxed as to what's happening.

Comment

When reinstalling the wheel, did you make sure that the tabs of the speedometer drive meshed with the grooves that turn with the wheel, in turn turning the speedo drive. You can check by spinning the wheel and seeing that the speedo drive turns. Seems impossible to get wrong but I have read of this happening to people where they didn’t align the tabs properly and then had fitment issues and of course their speedo no longer worked.
              Rich
              1982 GS 750TZ
              2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
              Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
                When reinstalling the wheel, did you make sure that the tabs of the speedometer drive meshed with the grooves that turn with the wheel, in turn turning the speedo drive. .
                Yes. I had thought of that too. The speedo works fine.

Comment

One of the later ones off a 550E should be a straight bolt on I would think.
                  1980 GS1000G - Sold
                  1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                  1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                  1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                  2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                  1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                  2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Working...
                  X