Are these brake pads worn?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

May I take your coat?
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
      Anyone want to take this one?
      hahahahaha i was waiting for someone to take that one.
      Methinks, PO usually equals POS mechanic.
      Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
      VM Carb rebuild tutorial
      Bikecliff's website
      The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
        One of the two pistons sticking on the rear caliper is common.
        Only real cure is a strip, clean and rebuild with new rubbers.
        Probably the originals in there, they're due for replacement.
        And everything I need is conveniently included in the piston set (69100-08821)? If that is the case I just have two issues:

1. THe bolt for the torque arm is not cooperating with me and I rounded it a bit (Might be able to just take the entire torque arm off).

2. I don't understand how to make the brake fluid vacate the brakes without making a mess (altho now that there is no tyre on it, I could just take the hose off and let it drip).

Edit:

I have the piston set, but I havent opened the box, so I dont know what it contains. Sadly not brake pads.
        Last edited by Noreg; 07-19-2020, 02:53 PM.
        GS1000G 1981

Comment

Just a hint: don't replace the pads with OEM. Get some modern pads. Suzuki brake pads from the 70s and 80s were hard to start with. When I replaced the pads on the Ratzuki, I put new model soft pads in. They won't last 50k miles like the originals, but they stop better.
          Expecting the Spanish Inquisition
          1981 GS850G: the Ratzuki
          1981 GS1100E

Comment

Originally posted by zuluwiz View Post
            Just a hint: don't replace the pads with OEM. Get some modern pads. Suzuki brake pads from the 70s and 80s were hard to start with. When I replaced the pads on the Ratzuki, I put new model soft pads in. They won't last 50k miles like the originals, but they stop better.
            So I should stay away from SBS?

I got some Brembo Carbon-Ceramic pads. They were on clearance.

They also sell Goldfren (dirt cheap, so I could replace them all the time). No idea about the quality.

SBS and Brembo is about the same price on the rear, but Brembo cost twice as much on the front. Goldfren is less than half of SBS.

Honestly, these pads had no problem locking the wheel (these were SBS, original ones maybe? don't think the bike has too many miles on it, but hard to tell, I doubt the odo at 8300 or something were accurate).

I see now they say the brembo pads arent suitable for public roads, the front ones. The rear ones has no such warning.

Do you have any brand recommendations? I find the brakes on the bike to be more than adequate, but better brakes couldn't hurt.
            GS1000G 1981

Comment

I would be of a mind to get soft sacrificial pads. Disks are not cheap for these machines.
              Some of the better makers offer precisely that.
              97 R1100R
              Previous
              80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
                I would be of a mind to get soft sacrificial pads. Disks are not cheap for these machines.
                Some of the better makers offer precisely that.
                I am very aware of the price of disks. But I dont know what pads are soft or not, or what brands offer the softest ones.

I would really recommend a brand and product name so I could go looking for exactly that.
                GS1000G 1981

Comment

I would go for the SBS.

Cheap, work well, soft enough not to eat your discs.
                  Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
                  VM Carb rebuild tutorial
                  Bikecliff's website
                  The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

Originally posted by Rijko View Post
                    I would go for the SBS.

Cheap, work well, soft enough not to eat your discs.
                    Ill get two sets for the front then, and replace those too. I dont understand the: "Look for a red line in the sight glass" instructions. And new ones can't hurt.
                    GS1000G 1981

Comment

Working...
                    X