Brake rotor is stuck to rear rim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brake rotor is stuck to rear rim

I got the acorn nuts and the copper washers off. But the rotor is still stuck.

I have tried standing on the tyre and pulling it. Beating it with a tyre cross and beating it with a wrench. I also sprayed it with wd40. And I tried prying it off with a knife.

None of these methods has been effective.

Is there any easy way to liberate my brake disc? I have a heat gun at home.
    Last edited by Noreg; 07-19-2020, 07:30 PM.
    GS1000G 1981

Copper washers, acorn nuts ?
    This is what it should be :

brake-disc-bolts.jpg

I had the same issue once.
    Tried a lot of things but that disc was stuck.
    In the end, without the bolts in the disc, i mounted the wheel
    and rear brake and slowly drove the bike.
    Braked 2 times and the disc broke loose.
    Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
    VM Carb rebuild tutorial
    Bikecliff's website
    The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

Acorn nuts and copper washers? There should be hex head screws and underneath them, a plate with a tab bent up against the hex on each screws. once those are off, it should lift off, IIRC. Do you have something nonstandard going on?

Edit: Sniped by Rijko. Nice pic!
      Dogma
      --
      O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
      '80 GS850 GLT
      '80 GS1000 GT
      '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

I have no idea if these are original. A bunch of botls, nuts and washers seems to be random on this bike.

I got the disk off. Since I didnt have a rubber mallet I just found a big hammer and put a glove on the pad (like workers glove).
        GS1000G 1981

Comment

May be a better idea not to drive the bike but do this
          on the centrestand. Which i did not have on that bike.

edit : now i've been sniped
          Good you got it off.
          Rijk

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
          VM Carb rebuild tutorial
          Bikecliff's website
          The Stator Papers

Comment

i am not very familiar with the G, so i checked the parts fiche.

The setup should be as in the pic i posted.

Looking better at your photos, it looks like the studs go from M10 in the wheel to M8 for the disc.
            Which probably means someone stripped the original threads in the wheel and "solved" it with these studs.

Or are the studs M8 in the wheel ?
            Rijk

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
            VM Carb rebuild tutorial
            Bikecliff's website
            The Stator Papers

Comment

Originally posted by Rijko View Post
              i am not very familiar with the G, so i checked the parts fiche.

The setup should be as in the pic i posted.

Looking better at your photos, it looks like the studs go from M10 in the wheel to M8 for the disc.
              Which probably means someone stripped the original threads in the wheel and "solved" it with these studs.

Or are the studs M8 in the wheel ?
              I have no nuts to messure with here. Can check at home.

But this is very odd. I have the same setup in the front, on both sides... how could someone strip both rear and both sides in the front?

They cant have just cut the tips off for aestethics?
              GS1000G 1981

Comment

Originally posted by Noreg View Post
                But this is very odd. I have the same setup in the front, on both sides... how could someone strip both rear and both sides in the front?
                The PO is a strange creature, doing strange things .... hope you have straight M8 studs so you can simply remove them and go back to the original bolts.

They cant have just cut the tips off for aestethics?
                This is what the bolt looks like ... if you cut off the head there are no threads for the nuts like in your pics.
                You have studs in the rear wheel, unless they cut off the heads and tapped threads.
                (not likely ... and would beg the useless question "why ???" again )

bolt8x30_medium0910008094-01_3100.jpg
                Last edited by Rijko; 07-19-2020, 12:39 PM.
                Rijk

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
                VM Carb rebuild tutorial
                Bikecliff's website
                The Stator Papers

Comment

The PO is a strange creature, doing strange things .... hope you have straight M8 studs so you can simply remove them and go back to the original bolts.

This is what the bolt looks like ... if you cut off the head there are no threads for the nuts like in your pics.
                  You have studs in the rear wheel, unless they cut off the heads and tapped threads.
                  (not likely ... and would beg the useless question "why ???" again )

[ATTACH=CONFIG]61380[/ATTACH]

This is from the front. Looks like the same but the washers there seems to be rusted so not copper...

Im going to spend what I paid for this bike in nuts and bolts to get back the original ones xD
                  GS1000G 1981

Comment

if you want to go crazy ... you can ... these guys make lots out of polished SS.
                    Nuts. bolts, washers, wheel spacers, and other parts.
                    My bling bike gets these upgrades, since original parts are getting so expensive that these are not very much more than original and will stay nice.

09100-08094 Made by us for the Suzuki GT GS twin disc models. These brake disc bolts are made from stainless steel then highly polished to be long lasting.
                    Rijk

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
                    VM Carb rebuild tutorial
                    Bikecliff's website
                    The Stator Papers

Comment

if you want to go crazy ... you can ... these guys make lots out of polished SS.
                      Nuts. bolts, washers, wheel spacers, and other parts.
                      My bling bike gets these upgrades, since original parts are getting so expensive that these are not very much more than original and will stay nice.

https://classicbikefasteners.co.uk/c...08aa5e6d&_ss=r
                      Those looks nice, I would like that. Sad they don't have everything for my bike. Altho I have ikea wrench bolts for all the small things in polished steel. I am just waiting for my gofast innovation JIS screwdrivers to replace it all.

I think Ill also invest in a proper ratchet set, I messed up the torque arm bolt because I lacked the right cup. Wrenches isnt as good I think.

The rusted bolts on my bike drives me nuts, so if these will be less prone to rusting I am all for it. The acorns in the front is somewhat rusted too.

But they lack the tab washers...
                      GS1000G 1981

Comment

But they lack the tab washers...
                        ASTRAX sells those. https://www.astrax.co.uk/bikes/PartsForSale.html
                        https://www.astrax.co.uk/bikes/image...tTabWasher.jpg

He also is on Ebay.
                        Last edited by Rijko; 07-19-2020, 02:45 PM.
                        Rijk

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
                        VM Carb rebuild tutorial
                        Bikecliff's website
                        The Stator Papers

Comment

I suspect the PO had a bee in his bonnet about fitting studs instead of bolts. Ironically, the Suzuki bolts are more than adequate for the task and if he fitted an unknown strength of studding without a plain shank to take the shear forces of the disc, the studs may well be weaker than the bolts.
                          I'd fit the proper factory bolts and know I've got the proper grade of fastener in there - don't mess with the brakes, don't introduce unknowns.
                          ---- Dave

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
                            I suspect the PO had a bee in his bonnet about fitting studs instead of bolts. Ironically, the Suzuki bolts are more than adequate for the task and if he fitted an unknown strength of studding without a plain shank to take the shear forces of the disc, the studs may well be weaker than the bolts.
                            I'd fit the proper factory bolts and know I've got the proper grade of fastener in there - don't mess with the brakes, don't introduce unknowns.
                            I apprechiate your answer. And I agree, I should get the proper bolts. I now need to figure out if they are removable and what size they are.

I always assumed they were original.

Fairly sure it was an owner before the person I bought it from though, but it doesn't really matter. I need to sort it out anyways. Random botls, and nuts and washers seems to be a common theme on this bike.
                            GS1000G 1981

Comment

Working...
                            X