No announcement yet.

Scrambler build - looking to increase clearance - question on forks/ springs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scrambler build - looking to increase clearance - question on forks/ springs

Good Evening again gents,

I've got an 81 GS850G (my first/ original one) and I've decided to wander down a scrambler build/ route with it.

Whats 'the best' way to increase the ride height and maintaining the overall geometry of the bike? (New forks? which ones? new rear springs? which ones? etc etc)

Whats the cheapest way to increase the ride height without doing long term damage to the bike? (heavier shock oil or more pressure in the forks etc etc?)

Not looking to take this bike on long rides - maybe a little brap brapping around with my buddy on an afternoon with his beastly 90s Savage

I'm 6'3 and about 225lbs if that has any bearing on all of this.

Did a bit of looking around and thinking about reaching out to Sonic Springs - but curious if there's other stuff I'm not thinking of.

Thanks as always for your opinions, guidance, assistance and help!

Please don't raise the 850.

Changing the ride height on a shafty changes the angle of the u-joint in the driveshaft. That is not a constant-velocity joint, so an increased angle will increase the cyclic speed changes, which will aggravate the wear on the splines.

If your '81 bike is an early-production bike and still has the original splines, they might handle it, but if you have a late-production bike and through the '82 models, you will have a softer spline which is already in jeopardy, no sense it making it worse.

One other thing to consider: a "scrambler" is supposed to be a light, agile bike that you might occasionally take into the dirt. The 850 is the heaviest GS that was made, except for the 1100GK, which added fairing, saddlebags and trunk. If you want a "scrambler", start with a lighter bike. One that is chain-driven will make it even better.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      One other thing to consider: a "scrambler" is supposed to be a light, agile bike that you might occasionally take into the dirt. The 850 is the heaviest GS that was made, except for the 1100GK, which added fairing, saddlebags and trunk. If you want a "scrambler", start with a lighter bike. One that is chain-driven will make it even better.

I thought so. I didn't even take into account the shaft. A very heavy shaft drive bike. Ugh.
      1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        Please don't raise the 850.

Changing the ride height on a shafty changes the angle of the u-joint in the driveshaft. That is not a constant-velocity joint, so an increased angle will increase the cyclic speed changes, which will aggravate the wear on the splines.

And this is why I come here I didn't even think about the driveshaft.

I'll keep the geometry stock and just replace/ rebuild things as necessary. This is more of a wrenching/ build project than an effort to get the bike up and running (thats what my OTHER GS850 is for!!!)

Once I get going on the thing I'll be sure to get some good pics and updates for you guys here!

Thanks again for all the help!

Comment

- Getting the bike's suspension sprung correctly will raise it up a fair bit. The flaccid stock fork and shock springs usually let both ends sag into the last 1/3 of their travel with a rider on board. The correct spring rates and preload can bring sag into the top 1/3 - 1/4 of total travel and improve handling and safety immensely in all conditions. Suspension travel at both ends is about 4 inches (100mm).

- You can safely go with 1/2" longer shocks on a GS shaftie, but that's it. Stock is 13 inches (330mm) eye-to-eye. Some models have a wee tab on the frame that limits the downward travel of the swingarm. You may need to grind this slightly to fit longer shocks.

And yeah, an 850 is a heavy, sleepy beast indeed off-pavement. That said, it works fine on gravel and reasonably hard surfaces, and tires with a little more tread to them do work a little better.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

This was a bit of fun, revived over the lockdown period from a crusty corroded road bike, it's a '79 1000 purchased as a breaker ten years ago and left under bush but we don't break them anymore these days...As far as i know it hasn't run since '97. Fork tubes are standard L and rear shocks YSS. The engine has only been given a severe wire brushing, I've not looked at the points or shims though it did get new carb rubbers It's fast and a hoot to ride and I use it all the time I can.

P1010241.jpg
            sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
              - Getting the bike's suspension sprung correctly will raise it up a fair bit. The flaccid stock fork and shock springs usually let both ends sag into the last 1/3 of their travel with a rider on board. The correct spring rates and preload can bring sag into the top 1/3 - 1/4 of total travel and improve handling and safety immensely in all conditions. Suspension travel at both ends is about 4 inches (100mm).

- You can safely go with 1/2" longer shocks on a GS shaftie, but that's it. Stock is 13 inches (330mm) eye-to-eye. Some models have a wee tab on the frame that limits the downward travel of the swingarm. You may need to grind this slightly to fit longer shocks.

And yeah, an 850 is a heavy, sleepy beast indeed off-pavement. That said, it works fine on gravel and reasonably hard surfaces, and tires with a little more tread to them do work a little better.
              Are the shocks available from Sonic Springs a good replacement for the stockers? They've got a few options - how will those options affect the front forks? Are there other/ better springs I should be looking at? What about for the rears? What should I be looking for?

Comment

Originally posted by tatu View Post
                This was a bit of fun, revived over the lockdown period from a crusty corroded road bike
                [ATTACH=CONFIG]61461[/ATTACH]
                This is gorgeous and the type of mod/ build I'm looking to do! Love the look and styling!

Comment

Originally posted by the_koob View Post
                  Are the shocks available from Sonic Springs a good replacement for the stockers? They've got a few options - how will those options affect the front forks? Are there other/ better springs I should be looking at? What about for the rears? What should I be looking for?
                  Yes, Sonic straight-rate fork springs are excellent quality. Sonic Springs are on all my bikes.

There's a calculator on the site where you figure out the correct spring rate based on your weight and the bike's weight. They come with instructions for measuring and cutting spacers to get the correct amount of preload.

This thread on rear shocks just popped up again today, and it's an excellent overview of the rear shock options available:
                  Last edited by bwringer; 07-31-2020, 09:49 PM.
                  1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                  2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                  2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by the_koob View Post
                    This is gorgeous and the type of mod/ build I'm looking to do! Love the look and styling!
                    Plus I bet someone who just noticed that front fender would be surprised at the sound. Does not sound like many scramblers.

I have Race-Tech springs in the forks of my 11E (pretty much the equivalent of Sonic). I was 165 lbs soaking wet, so I got .9 (.95?), should have or could have gone a step stiffer.
                    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Working...
                    X