Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I remove the bolts that keep the caliper together?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I remove the bolts that keep the caliper together?

I finally managed to get the rear caliper off (the trick is to first remove the cotter pin thing in back and then remove the brake holding bolt). I managed to do so without spilling brake fluid on my tyre too, so good thing I did it by intuition rather than by following youtube.

I got the caliper clear, and I got the breather bolts off. But these ones will not move:

I am pretty sure I will break my yuge ikea wrench before they come off (I would not mind, it was cheap). I tried penetrating oil, it doesn't do anything.

Should I use my hot air thing? How hot air does it need? I have a torch too.

Any other tricks?
    GS1000G 1981

i usually put it back on the bike so it sits solid.
    Then you will get them loosened most of the time.
    Looks like yours have been painted so paint may help the bolts refusing to turn.
    Sometimes a few taps with a hammer on the tool will help persuade.
    A bit of heat may help soften the paint up.

And if nothing works, get a bigger hammer
    Last edited by Rijko; 08-04-2020, 03:50 PM.
    Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
    VM Carb rebuild tutorial
    Bikecliff's website
    The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

Originally posted by Rijko View Post
      i usually put it back on the bike so it sits solid.
      Then you will get them loosened most of the time.
      Looks like yours have been painted so paint may help the bolts refusing to turn.
      Sometimes a few taps with a hammer on the tool will help persuade.
      A bit of heat may help soften the paint up.

And if nothing works, get a bigger hammer

You attach it the wrong way? the bolts are towards the wheel attached normally.

I tried some more penetrating oil, will let it sit for a bit.
      GS1000G 1981

Comment

Originally posted by Noreg View Post
        You attach it the wrong way?
        yes, any way i can, just check nothing gets pinched or crushed.
        I prefer this to a vice, since it's simple and holds the caliper well in place while i put force on the bolts.
        Rijk

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
        VM Carb rebuild tutorial
        Bikecliff's website
        The Stator Papers

Comment

yes, any way i can, just check nothing gets pinched or crushed.
          I prefer this to a vice, since it's simple and holds the caliper well in place while i put force on the bolts.
          I tried it, attaching them the wrong way doesn't work (there is no threads in the metal thing they are attached to. I stuck some extensions through the hole, but then I just moved the entire attachment thing. The other way my tool won't fit (only the long end, so no leverage).

Tried sticking it in the vice, I am fairly sure the vice would give before the bolt table is sort of flimsy), I am worried about breaking my tools and splinters going everywhere. I think I need a better tool.

I wonder if acetone will strip the paint of it...

Edit: I think Ill have to go tomorrow and get a longer tool, and 1/2" hex bits
          Last edited by Noreg; 08-04-2020, 05:10 PM.
          GS1000G 1981

Comment

Heat it locally, where the bolt threads are in the other half of the caliper.
            Use a small butane torch.
            Hell, use a big butane torch if you're replacing the seals anyway.
            ---- Dave

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

An air impact / rattle gun should make short work of them. You can even hold the caliper in your hand (wrap it in a shop rag).
              Current:
              Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha :eek:)

Past:
              VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
              And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

wrap it in a rag and lock it in a vice.
                MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I went to wurth and got hex half inch bits, the finest penetrating oil they had to offer and a 600mm torque arm. Attached the caliper to the bike and used the extension from the ratchet set. It freed them right up. Impresdively easy with longer arm ( pretty sure I can break the half inch attachment thing with that length).

There seems to be rust inside my calipers. The o ring between them is a non round kind.

Now I wonder how to get the pistons out. They appear to be stuck.
                  Last edited by Noreg; 08-05-2020, 05:01 AM.
                  GS1000G 1981

Comment

You learn as you go , could have done that before you got the caliper off ...
                    but that's a lesson learned for the front brakes, right ?

several ways to do this :

- There are special tools that clamp inside the pistons to get them out.
                    - you can blow air from a compressor in them (watch your fingers they come flying out sometimes)
                    - or connect the brake hose back on and use your brake to pump them out.
                    Rijk

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
                    VM Carb rebuild tutorial
                    Bikecliff's website
                    The Stator Papers

Comment

You learn as you go , could have done that before you got the caliper off ...
                      but that's a lesson learned for the front brakes, right ?

several ways to do this :

- There are special tools that clamp inside the pistons to get them out.
                      - you can blow air from a compressor in them (watch your fingers they come flying out sometimes)
                      - or connect the brake hose back on and use your brake to pump them out.
                      In retrospect that makes a lot of sense. I am at work now so Ill try the brake hose reconnect method when I get home. Will it work without brake fluid in the system?

I was thinking of just clamping the piston in the vice and pulling it off. Im assuming they are not something I should restore.

I dont have a compressor, but I do have co2 cannisters, but I dont see how to attach the nossle to the caliper. I have the thing to inflate my bicycle.

Edit: is dot4 dot4 always or os there differences between brands?
                      Last edited by Noreg; 08-05-2020, 06:51 AM.
                      GS1000G 1981

Comment

Noreg - like you I’m a cyclist and a GS rider. I’ve had some luck with prying pistons out by using 2 bike tire levers at the same time on opposite ends of the piston lip. It takes some fiddling but I found my blue park tool levers worked best. Plus they’re plastic and will not scar the lip of the piston. If the corrosion has them locked in well, you may need some other methods. Good luck.
                        ‘83 GS850G
                        ‘12 R1200RT

Comment

Originally posted by mehall2 View Post
                          Noreg - like you I’m a cyclist and a GS rider. I’ve had some luck with prying pistons out by using 2 bike tire levers at the same time on opposite ends of the piston lip. It takes some fiddling but I found my blue park tool levers worked best. Plus they’re plastic and will not scar the lip of the piston. If the corrosion has them locked in well, you may need some other methods. Good luck.

I tried this first, as I had tire levers lying around and it seemed to be easiest. It worked a charm. First I pried it up, then I flipped the caliper pieces upside down and pushed with the tyre levers, and they popped right out.

Now I just need to clean this rusty mess. Acetone?
                          GS1000G 1981

Comment

In retrospect that makes a lot of sense. I am at work now so Ill try the brake hose reconnect method when I get home. Will it work without brake fluid in the system?
                            NO, you need fluid in there.

I was thinking of just clamping the piston in the vice and pulling it off. Im assuming they are not something I should restore.
                            Did you order new pistons ? The usual repair kits have just the rubber parts.
                            Clamping the piston in a vice will damage it if you are not very, very careful.

I dont have a compressor, but I do have co2 cannisters, but I dont see how to attach the nossle to the caliper. I have the thing to inflate my bicycle.
                            If you can think of a way to connect the pump to the caliper that should work.
                            Some use a grease gun to pump out the pistons.

Edit: is dot4 dot4 always or os there differences between brands?
                            DOT4 is a specification. Any DOT4 brake fluid will do.
                            Rijk

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
                            VM Carb rebuild tutorial
                            Bikecliff's website
                            The Stator Papers

Comment

I put them in a bucket with acetone, seems to be getting most of. Any special chemicals I should invest in? Would love something that also takes the paint off.
                              GS1000G 1981

Comment

Working...
                              X