Rear drum brake woes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear drum brake woes

So ive been trying to get mew brake shoes for my 79 gs425 and after several purchases and returns, i thought i finally fpund a set of ebc 609 that matched the set i removed from the bike. I slapped them on and go to put them on the wheel hub and it seems to be the exact same size and wont go in. Anybody encounter this issur before or havr any insight. Thanks for any help

Hard to say what’s available in Europe. I looked up your bike on partsoutlaw.com, a Good US parts site. There were 3 different models of GS 425 for ‘79 (in the US) with two different brake shoe part numbers, both showing no price so assume not available as OEM. I punched one of them into ebay (again US) and got a bunch of listings. Maybe another European would know. Maybe Grimly.
    Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Thanks for the reply man, and i live in the us near chicago, and as far as the model i have itsbthe plain old gs425, not the e or l model. I have found the part number 54410-11020 on babbitts and ive ordered it from ebay and other places and they never match the ones o pulled off. The ebc 609 matched and fit the plate but wont go into the hub.

Comment

Haha. Oh man do I feel dumb. Of course IL Illinois. Not Italy.
        Rich
        1982 GS 750TZ
        2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
        Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
          Haha. Oh man do I feel dumb. Of course IL Illinois. Not Italy.
          Hah. I was wondering if you were thinking of Elgin, near Inverness.
          ---- Dave

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Yep thats the one

Comment

Welcome, man. I moved from Carol Stream, IL to Knoxville 3.5 years ago.

Can't help you with the brake problem.

Except this.
              Are you sure of the bike's year?
              Are you sure the rear wheel is stock?
              IME, Suzuki part numbers generally work.
              Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
              '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Try switching the shoes front to back or top to bottom. Sometimes brakes shoes are particular about which way they go in.
                Expecting the Spanish Inquisition
                1981 GS850G: the Ratzuki
                1981 GS1100E

Comment

Check your part number. The part number from CMSNL is 6441011301. according to them, these shoes fit 125 motorcycle varieties. If you have the star-pattern cast wheel, I'd bet my brake shoes would fit, whatever the wheel diameter...

✓access the REAR WHEEL (GS425EN) schematic✓find Suzuki REAR WHEEL (GS425EN) spares easily✓OEM parts online available

✓In stock now: SHOE,BRAKE ✓Manufacturercode: 64410-11301 ✓Genuine Suzuki part
                  Last edited by Gorminrider; 08-16-2020, 11:30 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X