GS1100E vs GS1100GL :: front forks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1100E vs GS1100GL :: front forks

What are the practical differences between the two? Do they use the same fork seals? I’m in the process of a front end overhaul on my 1981 1100E, been sourcing parts for a while, and this week was supposed to be the install.

i have parts to perform the twinpot brake upgrade, as well as a suspension upgrade with Race Tech cartridge emulators and new single rate springs.

ran into a snag early on when I learned that my fork tube lowers (and likely the full fork setup) is not from an 1100E, but actually from an L model, with the axle on the leading edge of the forks, not bolted with caps to the bottom of the forks. Salty_Monk’s adapter plate for the brake upgrade won’t fit, and we are working on a solution for that. Stay tuned.

I’m worried that my Race tech parts will not fit for some, yet undiscovered, reason. I have new springs and cartridge emulators. Wondering if someone with intimate knowledge of these forks can help with some guidance.

the forks on my bike have a Flat black clicker on the bottom, and on the top, underneath a rubber cap, is a preload adjuster with flatblade slot. They have the air linkage mechanism. FYI.
    81 gs1100E
    81 gs550
    74 xlch 1000 custom
    03 ktm 525 exc supermoto
    76 honda cj360
    72 honda cl350
    2 green parrots

80 and 81 1100e's have leading axle forks. Sound like stock forks to me....
    1981 GS1100E

Comment

Yep, what Bull said
      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
      2007 DRz 400S
      1999 ATK 490ES
      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

That's good info, I didn't know that. Are they the same as L forks or different? I wonder if they use the same part number caliper as the L's.
        1980 GS1000G - Sold
        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

From my brief sojourn into L land caused by accidentally acquiring a set of L forks, I've come to the conclusion they're actually 1100 forks with the leading axle. The lower end damping adjuster was the clue.
          I might eventually get the legs re-chromed and use them on the 850, as they effectively provide a bit extra travel, which I'd like to have back - as well as that damping adjustment just for gits and shiggles.. I'm utterly sure the existing heavier Wilber springs will fit them seeing as they are all 37mm diameter, and so will the calipers once I purchase another L-type caliper mounting bracket.
          Suzuki being parts-bin masters, used as many bits as they could cross-over from one to another.
          Thank you Suzuki, for not being Honda and changing things just for the sake of it.
          ---- Dave

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

The lowers are definitely different as I don't believe the L's had the damping adjusters on the bottom. It wouldn't surprise me that they use the same calipers.
            1981 GS1100E

Comment

According to the parts fiches they use the same calipers and mounting brackets on both models.
              1981 GS1100E

Comment

Originally posted by bull958 View Post
                According to the parts fiches they use the same calipers and mounting brackets on both models.
                Yeah this is what I assumed would be the case. Suzuki didn't usually double up on parts for the fun of it. That's good news as it means everything will be compatible across all L models as far as the brakes go
                1980 GS1000G - Sold
                1978 GS1000E - Finished!

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Nice. Thank you for the info, friends. Obviously I could have parts fiche’d the info myself but I’m on my tiny phone and it’s quite a headache to navigate those parts maps and webpages unless I’m at a laptop.

very helpful, and very welcome info.
                  i feel much better about the suspension package, and hopefully later tonight I can have the caliper adapters outfitted.
                  its kinda dicey riding with no front brakes, especially after being comfortable ripping this big engine the way it allows me to! But I will say that I am much better at controlling speed with good throttle & smooth downshifts, even after only a day or two of practice. also, the city streets of Chicago are an excellent place to learn... nothing risked, nothing earned!
                  81 gs1100E
                  81 gs550
                  74 xlch 1000 custom
                  03 ktm 525 exc supermoto
                  76 honda cj360
                  72 honda cl350
                  2 green parrots

Comment

Yeah you need brakes sooner rather than later....
                    1980 GS1000G - Sold
                    1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

Originally posted by CincinnatiKid View Post
                      ...its kinda dicey riding with no front brakes...
                      You seriously riding an 11E with no front brakes?!?!
                      1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Working...
                      X