4into1 80s Style Master Cylinder with mirror mount

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4into1 80s Style Master Cylinder with mirror mount

Has anyone used one of these? It's not the cheapest one around, but I like the idea that it includes the mirror mount and the switch.

I heard about them on the Cleveland Moto podcast where they spoke highly of them. From a distance, it would look pretty close to stock.
    Drew

1981 GS650L (one step at a time...lots to do)
    1994 Honda Shadow VLX (for sale in spring)
    2011 Suzuki DL650

Comment

Something to consider: if all stock, all the banjo bolts/fittings on your GS are 10mm x 1.00. Both aftermarket ones linked above use the more universal 10mm x 1.25 pitch. Not a big deal, as long as you remember what you’re doing so you don’t cross tread something.
      Rich
      1982 GS 750TZ
      2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
      Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Wow - I had checked ebay but missed those - cheaper than a rebuild kit, has the mirror mount and switch, and doesn't have the unwanted branding on the levers. Seems like a no-brainer.

Rich - thanks for pointing that out about the banjo bolts! I will need to make sure nothing gets mixed up between the new banjo for the master cylinder and the old one (or the one that goes to the caliper).

p.s. When I started taking things apart yesterday it was a bit of a surprise that the master cylinder was almost completely dry. There was almost no brake fluid anywhere in the system? I thought the caliper was frozen, but the master cylinder was all locked up. I plan to take it apart and clean it up for a learning experience but will likely go with the $20 replacement instead of taking a chance on the old one.
        Drew

1981 GS650L (one step at a time...lots to do)
        1994 Honda Shadow VLX (for sale in spring)
        2011 Suzuki DL650

Comment

I'm always skeptical when things seem too cheap to be reasonable. A complete master cyl. for appx. price of rebuild kit doesn't seem reasonable. That being said a few yrs back a buddy had a rear master cyl. on a CB1100F that was too rusted & pitted to rebuild. He bought one of these cheap ebay ones. Mounting bolts were different from OEM & needed shim installed, but that was no problem & his has been & is still working flawlessly.
          1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

I prefer to buy a used EX650 master. They are almost the same but trusted source of manufacture & an adjustable lever. I have one I can part with if anyone is in need.....
            1980 GS1000G - Sold
            1978 GS1000E - Finished!
            1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
            1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
            2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
            1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
            2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Working...
            X