Gel Battery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gel Battery

After spending the better part of an hour doing, what I thought was a, fairly thorough search for information on batteries for our old GS's I've come to the conclusion that this topic, like many others, has been discussed at nauseum. That said, I wasn't fully satisfied with the information I found so I'm making another battery post. Participate at your own risk.

I've recently replaced my stock shunt R/R with the Shindengen 775 series R/R

I'm having a custom seat fabricated for my 79 GS850G. I'd like to fit the battery under the cowl. The fabricator I'm working with suggested a lithium battery. After doing my research it's my understanding our old bikes charging system just doesn't work well with the lithium battery and it's an ill advised path to go down. I also read that AGM sealed batteries are highly recommended. In regards to AGM batteries I'm wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of a small 12v AGM that might fit under a seat cowl. Last but not least, I came across this gel battery that's quite small, through Summit Racing, that just might fit the application. I'm curious what the consensus is in regards to the gel batteries. Again, I do fully understand that the AGM's are recommended, just couldn't find a whole lot about the gel batteries in my search.
    Last edited by RustyTank; 06-20-2019, 04:14 AM.
    Ryan

1979 GS850G - currently undergoing a major overhaul
    1986 GSX-R750 - I'm figuring it out

A motobatt AGM that is recommended for a Gs850g has the specs 12 Volt 16.5 AH CCA 190.
    The one your looking at has 4AH and CCA 50 looks to be very under powered
    As far as I know the lithium ion battery requires a rectifier designed especially for that type of battery.

CCA = cold cranking amps. AH = Amp Hour
    The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
    1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
    past bikes. RF900
    TL1000s
    Hayabusa
    gsx 750f x2
    197cc Francis Barnett
    various British nails

Comment

I agree with fast. As I was reading the first post, I was thinking that batteries are often mis-labeled. Some people think that just about any battery that is sealed is a "gel" battery, but the one in the link is labeled "TruGel" by the manufacturer, so it appears that it might, indeed, be a gel-type battery.

That being said, a gel battery is not all that good for the amp load required by the starter. The only way that I would consider installing that battery would be if you used your kick starter EVERY TIME. You could probably get away with using an AGM battery with a slightly smaller capacity than stock for your 850. I believe the stock battery is about 16 AH and 200 CCA. One for a 450 might be 12 or 14 AH and about 150-160 CCA. It will be just a bit smaller on each side, maybe just enough to fit it where you want. Most AGM batteries can be mounted in any position. Some have a limitation that they can't be mounted upside down, but all of them can go on their side.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I've HEARD but have have no actual experience that the guys building choppers out of Yamaha 650's often use a 12v 1ah battery so they can hide it out of the way and it works for them. I'd be leery of doing that on a "daily driver" bike but if it's strictly a custom bar hopper it should work.
        1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
        1982 GS450txz (former bike)
        LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

I identify as a man but according to the label on a box of Stauffers Baked Lasagne I'm actually a family of four

Comment

If you need to use it to start the bike (and really, the kick starter on a '79 GS850G is... rather vestigial. Not all that efficient.), and you can make sure the bike and the charging system is ALWAYS in tip-top tune, then yeah, you could install a somewhat smaller 12V AGM battery.

I can highly recommend MotoBatt brand; they really do seem to outperform other AGM batteries, and the extra terminals also give you a lot of added mounting flexibility.

This page lists all 39 MotoBatt models:

Leaving aside a couple of 6 volt models, you might then ponder what sort of capacity rating you're comfortable with, then look for the dimensions and form factor that could work for your application.

MotoBatt covers multiple applications with fewer part numbers by including various spacers, and the four terminal setup covers more variations.

Stock is 200CCA and 14 amp-hour. I'm not sure what capacity I'd be comfortable with, but I don't think I'd go lower than half; so around 7-10 AH could work.

A GS in decent tune should start pretty much instantly with a hard glance at the starter button. But you're still giving up some portion of reliability (for example, if the charging system poops out, you won't get very far with a smaller battery) and so the final judgement call is up to you.

Another angle to explore might be whether to upgrade your charging system. You could get more charging capacity by installing a rotor and 18-pole stator from a later model. My GS850 is actually wearing a stator from a 2001 GS500 (the stock stator pooped out at 102,000 miles, and I figure it can't hurt to have a part that's 18 years newer). That said, if you're using LED lighting the added capacity might go to waste, and there's an argument to be made that the 12 pole stator stays cooler. But on the third hand, there aren't any replacement 12 pole stators available; you'd need to upgrade the stator and rotor or have your old one re-wound if and when it poops out.

Lots of factors to balance, and there might even be math... overall, I'd DEFINITELY install a good volt meter.
          Last edited by bwringer; 06-20-2019, 08:47 AM.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
            If you need to use it to start the bike (and really, the kick starter on a '79 GS850G is... rather vestigial. Not all that efficient.), and you can make sure the bike and the charging system is ALWAYS in tip-top tune, then yeah, you could install a somewhat smaller 12V AGM battery.

I can highly recommend MotoBatt brand; they really do seem to outperform other AGM batteries, and the extra terminals also give you a lot of added mounting flexibility.

This page lists all 39 MotoBatt models:

Leaving aside a couple of 6 volt models, you might then ponder what sort of capacity rating you're comfortable with, then look for the dimensions and form factor that could work for your application.

MotoBatt covers multiple applications with fewer part numbers by including various spacers, and the four terminal setup covers more variations.

Stock is 200CCA and 14 amp-hour. I'm not sure what capacity I'd be comfortable with, but I don't think I'd go lower than half; so around 7-10 AH could work.

A GS in decent tune should start pretty much instantly with a hard glance at the starter button. But you're still giving up some portion of reliability (for example, if the charging system poops out, you won't get very far with a smaller battery) and so the final judgement call is up to you.

Another angle to explore might be whether to upgrade your charging system. You could get more charging capacity by installing a rotor and 18-pole stator from a later model. My GS850 is actually wearing a stator from a 2001 GS500 (the stock stator pooped out at 102,000 miles, and I figure it can't hurt to have a part that's 18 years newer). That said, if you're using LED lighting the added capacity might go to waste, and there's an argument to be made that the 12 pole stator stays cooler. But on the third hand, there aren't any replacement 12 pole stators available; you'd need to upgrade the stator and rotor or have your old one re-wound if and when it poops out.

Lots of factors to balance, and there might even be math... overall, I'd DEFINITELY install a good volt meter.

Thanks for everyone's input. It sure does help!
            Last edited by RustyTank; 06-20-2019, 04:03 PM. Reason: I'd like to add more info
            Ryan

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post

So theoretically this 10 AH MotoBatt battery could work?

I’m looking into a volt meter, Looks pretty straightforward in regards to installation.
              Last edited by RustyTank; 06-20-2019, 08:01 PM.
              Ryan

Comment

When I first got my bike, I cheaped out on a 12Ah autozone lead acid battery. Worked well for 2 seasons. Once I got to fixing the charging system and I thought the battery was weak, I replaced with an autozone AGM 14Ah. The old one would probably still be fine now.

Don't drain it and a 10Ah would likely be fine.
                Jordan

1977 Suzuki GS750 (My first bike)
                2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
                1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

There's no reason a LiFePo4 battery couldn't work, if it had the appropriate buffering/charging/protection circuitry. The problem seems to be that no one makes one that comes with all of that _and_ lasts any longer than an AGM lead acid battery. And of course they are way more expensive.
                  Charles
                  --
                  1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

I've never heard of a "gel" battery, and if I did I probably thought it was another term for an AGM. So what is a gel?

I'll be buying a new bat any week now and I've tracked down the elusive Yuasa AGM. Model is YTX14AHL-BS, and it's outside dimensions are precisely what my old wet battery is.

So any reason to (presumably) spend more for MotoBatt when bike is in heated garage, has no anti-theft system and seems to have a perfectly functioning charging system?
                    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                      I've never heard of a "gel" battery, and if I did I probably thought it was another term for an AGM. So what is a gel?

I'll be buying a new bat any week now and I've tracked down the elusive Yuasa AGM. Model is YTX14AHL-BS, and it's outside dimensions are precisely what my old wet battery is.

So any reason to (presumably) spend more for MotoBatt when bike is in heated garage, has no anti-theft system and seems to have a perfectly functioning charging system?
                      Here’s a page that seems to explain the two batteries.
                      Ryan

Comment

"The GEL type is typically preferred for applications requiring frequent or daily use such as wheelchairs, scooters and other mobility applications..."

Well that seals it. When it's time for me to get a gel battery, I'm throwin' in the towel.
                        1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                          "The GEL type is typically preferred for applications requiring frequent or daily use such as wheelchairs, scooters and other mobility applications..."

Well that seals it. When it's time for me to get a gel battery, I'm throwin' in the towel.
                          HD has electric bikes coming down the pike, shouldn't be too difficult to Fab a mount for that drive train to fit under a Hoveround.
                          1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
                          1982 GS450txz (former bike)
                          LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

I identify as a man but according to the label on a box of Stauffers Baked Lasagne I'm actually a family of four

Comment

Originally posted by LAB3 View Post
                            HD has electric bikes coming down the pike, shouldn't be too difficult to Fab a mount for that drive train to fit under a Hoveround.
                            The HD Livewire - I was led to believe it was in the showroom. I'd like to hear it, see it, I'd even test ride it. But buy it? Not a hope in Hades.

Comment

I’ve gone ahead and ordered the MotoBatt 12v 10 AH battery. I’ll see how it does.

thanks everybody. The input really does help.
                              Ryan

Comment

Working...
                              X