79' 1000S self cancelling bypass mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
    Found an article in Motorcycle Classics about our infamous TSCUs...surprise that they told the guy asking the question to come to the GSR......and something about RF interfereence confusing the timer and reed switch. Anyone care to expound on this RF thing??

http://www.motorcycleclassics.com/te...#axzz2wAC9yrT9
    A reed switch is a pair of contacts on flexible arms. When a magnet is passed by they open. I would assume that the reed switch for the SPEED input to the TSCU is switching 12V. It is hard to see how a +12V switched signal is going to get confusing when it is subjected to some RFI.

On the other hand, it is not impossible for the a TSCU to be sensitive to something (RFI or other conducted interference) , and probably more like switching turn signal relays. As Duaneage has pointed out, with electrolytic capacitors drying out after 30 years the filtering in the timing circuits may just not be as noise resistant as it once was.

Since it is potted, you don't have much option in opening it up. Wrapping it in tin foil with a ground to chassis might help as a stab in the dark.

Comment

Originally posted by duaneage View Post
      At high speeds the signal frequency could get rather hectic. If the timing circuit capacitors were old and dried out it could wreak havoc with the circuit.
      I think these devices are in need of a re-cap. In audio systems replacing 30 year old caps not only yields better sound but prevents breakdowns. Somewhere in the design there is a RC time clock that might be the problem. Alternatively the timing could be modified a bit.

I had a working unit on my GS1000G that went pretty quick on eBay. I'm very happy with my manual turn signals, especially now that the controls match my GS650G and includes an off switch for the headlight.
      So you think the reed switch is bouncing or otherwise acting up? I guess you have probably never had a scope on the signal?

Comment

Me personanlly, would like a fully functional one that looks like the OEM cigarette case thing. In fact I would need two. PLEASE PLEASE Tell me someone here can produce them..PLEASE.
        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
          I would assume that the reed switch for the SPEED input to the TSCU is switching 12V.
          You assume correctly.

I'll have approximately 15 of these things in a few days. Making a test platform that will be relatively free from RFI will be simple enough.
          De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Me personanlly, would like a fully functional one that looks like the OEM cigarette case thing. In fact I would need two. PLEASE PLEASE Tell me someone here can produce them..PLEASE.
            ditto.

although I don't care about form, just function
            82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
            80 gs1000s

Comment

They are still available new.

$337.00 @ partsoutlaw dot com

Comment

So you think the reed switch is bouncing or otherwise acting up? I guess you have probably never had a scope on the signal?
                Should be easy to calculate. I think the ratio is 2.6 to one on the speedo drive and they should be square waves with a constant ratio of on to off.

I would consider replacing the reed switch since like everything else it's a 30 year old mechanical object. Radio shack used to sell them at one time. If the switch is bouncing or not providing a clear connection it could cause problems.
                Considering the vintage of the system I suspect they are charging a transistor through a RC network. I would suspect a 555 could be deployed with a gate comparator to do it cleaner, and maybe with adjustment. This is a lot simpler than the electronic advance circuit.

I had the same system on my Yamaha 400 and battery voltage, temperature and the price of rice affected the system.
                1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Very interested to see these Dale.....$337.00 is a whole weeks pay for me. Are you planning on making them look like the OEM ones? If not, at leaset the same size so we can fab our own box for the board and mount it where its supposed to go??? Remember those twp piece plastic cigarette cases from back in the day? bet they would work well for the plastic half and then out the metal end cap from an old one on and paint it all black.
                  Last edited by chuck hahn; 03-17-2014, 12:18 PM.
                  1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by duaneage View Post
                    I would consider replacing the reed switch since like everything else it's a 30 year old mechanical object. Radio shack used to sell them at one time. If the switch is bouncing or not providing a clear connection it could cause problems.
                    The 2nd gen systems are considerably more reliable and use the same reed switch.

I don't think it's the reed switch that is the causal part. Resistance in the wiring connections possibly.

Of course this is all supposition on my part.

Comment

Edit: 3/18/2014 offer withdrawn:

maybe i can help.

I would be willing to look at making an upgrade which is diy and fits inside of the existing box and perhaps someone would want to do the installs with the diy kits. That would make it simple for me as i then just ship the units to one person, who can distribute on exchange basis the modified tscu's. I really would not care so long as you are competent with a soldering iron and can package the units properly with what ever handwork is required. I would expect the person to meet the demand as it occurs and would be willing to buy 10 units at a time from me. Price is tbd at the moment.

So the proposal is for someone who wants to do the mods, for profit or pleasure contact me so that we can meet the demand for tscu's. I will do the design install and test it and provide a number of the upgrades pcb's so that that person can modify, exchange,sell modified tscu's.

I'm assuming we are talking about the unit attached. I will need the following:
                      1. a two prong flasher
                      2. a tscu to be modified
                      3. left hand control switch.

i'll return all items with the modified tscu before beginning any meaningful production.

Let me know who or whom would be interested.
                      Last edited by posplayr; 03-18-2014, 03:01 PM.

Comment

If not, at least the same size so we can fab our own box for the board and mount it where its supposed to go???
                        Chuck, I think the best thing to do is cut the original wiring as close to the PCB as you can, then router out the insides of the plastic case to accept the new replacement.

Comment

Yeah i was thinking of the OEM case..but how to get the plug out is the real pain. Ive only got 1 spare left and it at least blinks both sides of the signals. Doesnt cancel though.

Comment

Maybe I can help.

I would be willing to look at making an upgrade which is DIY and fits inside of the existing box and perhaps someone would want to do the installs with the DIY kits. That would make it simple for me as I then just ship the units to one person, who can distribute on exchange basis the modified TSCU's. I really would not care so long as you are competent with a soldering iron and can package the units properly with what ever handwork is required. I would expect the person to meet the demand as it occurs and would be willing to buy 10 units at a time from me. Price is TBD at the moment.

So the proposal is for someone who wants to do the mods, for profit or pleasure contact me so that we can meet the demand for TSCU's. I will do the design install and test it and provide a number of the upgrades PCB's so that that person can modify, exchange,sell modified TSCU's.

I'm assuming we are talking about the unit attached. I will need the following:
                            1. a two prong flasher
                            2. A TSCU to be modified
                            3. Left hand control switch.

I'll return all items with the modified TSCU before beginning any meaningful production.

Let me know who or whom would be interested.
                            I guess there is no interest, So I can take this one off my plate.

Comment

It's still on mine.

You want a dud TSCU, I'll send you one.

Comment

I also Pmed you and offered up this last dud that I have. Its time for this dream to come to fruition.

Comment

Working...
                                X