No announcement yet.

Finally took the plunge.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think he chemically cleaned his old ones while he had the harness off. Check back on page one or two to see what he used.

Comment

Originally posted by jwhelan65 View Post
      I agree with Nessism its great to see a complete thorough job! Super work dude!

Hey where did you get the bullet connectors?

jw
      Thanks! She turns heads especially around modern bikes!
      Yes I did clean chemically, first degreased the connectors properly, then acid dip to get the tarnish off the brass, then a thorough wash and soak in clean water to get the acid off, then contact cleaner spray, thereafter some dielectric grease. Even the plastic sleeves then clean up nicely.
      Finally took off all old insulation tape, wiped old insulation tape adhesive off with a benzine soaked cloth and rewrapped with a good new tape and the harness came out as good as new.

Comment

Matchless,
        With all the hard work and time you have put into it, It looks fantastic!
        I for one can't wait until it's painted and we get to see the finished "product".

did you renew the case emblems or replace them?
        nice looking rear crash bars, I might have to have a set made for my '80. I'm thinking it will give a good point to anchor the saddle bags when I get a set to put on.

did the Harley riders get over their bad case of envy yet?
        Last edited by rustybronco; 12-05-2008, 03:11 PM.
        De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
          Matchless,
          With all the hard work and time you have put into it, It looks fantastic!
          I for one can't wait until it's painted and we get to see the finished "product".

did you renew the case emblems or replace them?
          nice looking rear crash bars, I might have to have a set made for my '80. I'm thinking it will give a good point to anchor the saddle bags when I get a set to put on.

did the Harley riders get over their bad case of envy yet?
          I am quite excited about the paint job now that the colour is determined. I just used a permanent marker and touched up the black on the case emblems and they look much better. I had the crash bars bent out of 25mm polished stainless steel tubing as the older ones had some rust and chipped chrome.

This weekend has been predicted as Harley weather, sunny with no wind and they will be out in force all over, so I will see if I can get in a ride as well and sort of park close to them, wave and greet them!!

Comment

Originally posted by Matchless View Post
            This weekend has been predicted as Harley weather, sunny with no wind and they will be out in force all over, so I will see if I can get in a ride as well and sort of park close to them, wave and greet them!!
            watch out for the oil slicks!

Comment

I just read this entire thread.

You must be awfully proud of your steed and of all of the effort that you put into it. And you should be.

Looks great. And I know that it must feel great to ride her.

Comment

Originally posted by highmileage View Post
                I just read this entire thread.

You must be awfully proud of your steed and of all of the effort that you put into it. And you should be.

Looks great. And I know that it must feel great to ride her.
                Thanks, yes and I am still just a tiny bit over paranoid when I park her!

Comment

Mr. Matchless,

Amazing work, Andre. I have enjoyed this thread immensely.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Well done old son.Now the GOOD bit starts.Years of hassle free riding cause you did it properly.Cheers,Simon.
                    http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/h...esMapSimon.jpg

'79 GS1000S my daily ride in Aus

'82 (x2) GS650ET in the shed

Comment

Originally posted by simon kuether View Post
                      Well done old son.Now the GOOD bit starts.Years of hassle free riding cause you did it properly.Cheers,Simon.
                      The way you did your bike inspired me not to do a patchy job and it turned out much easier than I could have expected and very enjoyable to do.
                      The last small rounding off such as the paint will take place next year and a few kilometers on the odo is next!

Comment

Matchless,
                        Good read and very nice job!

Lately, I've found myself restoring more and riding less,
                        but it is all good.

Comment

Wow, just an awesome job from the ground up.

Comment

OK, some more progress, new Cowley street legal exhaust fitted:

A set of "Flush Technolgy" panniers being fabricated

The sound system is fitted:

Comment

Matchless,
                              A 150% improvement in the "luke" of your bike, with the exhaust system change.
                              I very much like it! and I wonder how it would look on my black '80 850

but you do know the paint doesn't match, don't you?

in my opinion, the speakers don't have the look that's needed. sorry 'bout that...
                              Last edited by rustybronco; 03-26-2009, 10:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
                                Matchless,
                                A 150% improvement in the "luke" of your bike, with the exhaust system change.
                                I very much like it! and I wonder how it would look on my black '80 850

but you do know the paint doesn't match, don't you?

in my opinion, the speakers don't have the look that's needed. sorry 'bout that...
                                The sound is also not too out of our age category! It purrs when needed but gives a nice howl when such a need arises! At R1527.00 ($152) it was a good buy I think for the header and box, and the jetting is stock.

That Marble Lemans Blue and stripes!!! As you know its definitely on the todo list.

Don't mock my tiny speakers! Its not the size that matters.... In my garage they are quite loud, when riding at about 40 k/h I can hear them, thereafter..?? They have a wopping 2 Watt capability!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X