Astro evo 4000 series spray gun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Astro evo 4000 series spray gun

The astro evo4000 series spray gun is a knock-off of an iwata lvlp (low volume low pressure) spray gun, it differs from an hvlp type of gun in that its air requirements are 9.5 cfm and 25 psi (at the gun with air flowing through it) an hvlp uses normally 13-15 cfm at 25-50 psi at the gun. with my sharpe sgf set at 50 psi at the gun i had to reduce the acrylic enamel 10% to get it to have a good spray pattern, with the astro evo4014 (1.4mm tip) i reduced the paint 5% and this is my test pattern (about 9 inches tall, the one one the left is my un-steadiness sorry)...

the atomization of this gun is much better than my sharpe sgf had, i bought it so i could spray clear with but i think i will use it as my primary gun now. the reason i bought this model is because of the good reviews it had at different paint forums such as autobody101.com and i couldn't be more pleased with its spray pattern and air requirements, yes it's not an iwata or a sata (top of the line spray guns) but it doesn't carry the 300-500 dollar price tag either (about 78.00 shipped), very good bang for the buck and fairly good quality in my opinion (not your normal cheep china stuff)
    just for your info a non-hvlp gun has a paint transfer of 30-40%, an hvlp is 65% and this model has a "claimed" 72%+
    in my opinion lvlp-hvlp is the way to go now because of the reduced air pressure that comes out of the gun's tip (max 10 psi) so you don't have paint bouncing off the surface and creating overspray (fog) that one normally associates with old style guns and rattle can paint, where as a non-hvlp its 40-55 psi at the spray gun tip.
    astro's web site for your reading pleasure...

Search Astro Pneumatic Products If you haven't found the product you expected, use this handy search form. Just start typing part of the name or the pr ...

for those of you that are thinking of painting your own bike and don't want a gun that costs to much and is a big step above the cheep spray guns that you normally find, and with the cost of paint now-a-days this works for me!
    I bought mine at tooltopia.com the shipping was fast (three days) they have been in business since 1982 and are bbb registered.
    Last edited by rustybronco; 10-29-2006, 11:48 AM.
    De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

thanks for the great review

Dale:

That was a real helpful review. I have an old rebuilt Binks and a cheapo touch-up gun, which despite the overspray, sprays decent and is good for bike parts. (I have yet to buy an hvlp gun.)

I only have a single stage 110 volt compressor with a 40 gal. tank.
    If I spray a large project, it is just barely adequate.
    Since I am not a pro painter, I didn't want to invest huge bucks in a gun.
    I think this gun would be a good one for me, since I love to spray and hate to bother my friend who does it for a living. He will never let me pay him, either!

Mike

Comment

Mike, the original gun i had used is an OLD devilbiss mbc (just hangs on the wall now) and until i painted my honda that is all i had used, I suspect once you have used a hvlp-lvlp you won't go back and I bet you won't be sorry you had changed over. The compressor that i use is a 110volt 2-stage 12 gallon, it runs almost all the time when spraying continuous but it still keeps up with the astro, with a complete on a car it would be to small i reckon but then again my 220v 2-stage 20 gallon wouldn't keep up with my old devilbiss and i painted completes with it! Good luck and have fun.

One more thing, my 110v compressor won't keep up with my sharpe sgf or my devilbiss but it will keep up with the astro.
      Last edited by rustybronco; 11-27-2006, 05:43 PM.
      De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Working...
      X