No announcement yet.

Help Read my Spark Plugs!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have to disagree here. IF he were setting up and doing true plug chops, I would say, hey, that looks pretty lean. But the fact of the matter is that is NOT a race bike, its a street bike, and while mileage DOESNT matter, He is running this thru all throttle ranges and then pulling the plugs and looking at them. I have to agree with Chef. Based on the look of the plugs THROUGOUT all stages of the throttle, they look pretty good to me, a tad on the lean side, but then again, they came that way from the factory anyway. If it the bike is stock, pulls well in all ranges, and doesnt stumble, stammer or surge, or backfire thru the carbs or pipes, I'd call it good and ride the pee out of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Zook View Post
      It's lean. Insulator should be tan.

Q: How do I "read" a spark plug?

A: Being able to "read" a spark plug can be a valuable tuning aid. By examining the insulator firing nose color, an experienced engine tuner can determine a great deal about the engine's overall operating condition.

In general, a light tan/gray color tells you that the spark plug is operating at optimum temperature and that the engine is in good condition...
      can you see all of the spark plug?
      do you know if fuel washed the color off the insulator?
      can you see the side electrode (ground) and tell where the heat line is?
      do you know if the plugs are the std plugs? 1 range hotter or colder?

Erichz... ride the bike!
      Last edited by rustybronco; 07-29-2008, 01:17 AM.
      De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

The fuel in California is oxygenated. It makes it harder to read plugs. Color just doesn't show up. By the time it does you're on the rich side. I have to read the heat range on plug threads and richen and lean to the height of color on the threads.
        The color of the insulator doesn't mean sh!t to me.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
        X