Airbox side cover gasket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Airbox side cover gasket

All - I just bought a side cover for the airbox on my '81 GS850GX from the Bike Bandit. When I received it, the bag was opened and only the metal cover was in the bag.

The schematic doesn't show a gasket with a separate part number. I asked if the gasket was included with the side cover. The person on the other side of the live chat session I had with them when I purchased the cover agreed. After all, we all know the gaskets exist...

Anyway, toniight when I asked if they normally sent parts bags out that had been opened, the live chat person from tonight's session said yes. I'm sorry, but if they are sending out opened bags of parts, they should at least take the time to make sure that all the parts are included.

This is my first order from the Bike Bandit. Is this what I can expect from them in the future?

Yes, I am kinda ticked.

Originally posted by Counter View Post
    All - I just bought a side cover for the airbox on my '81 GS850GX from the Bike Bandit. When I received it, the bag was opened and only the metal cover was in the bag.

The schematic doesn't show a gasket with a separate part number. I asked if the gasket was included with the side cover. The person on the other side of the live chat session I had with them when I purchased the cover agreed. After all, we all know the gaskets exist...

Anyway, toniight when I asked if they normally sent parts bags out that had been opened, the live chat person from tonight's session said yes. I'm sorry, but if they are sending out opened bags of parts, they should at least take the time to make sure that all the parts are included.

This is my first order from the Bike Bandit. Is this what I can expect from them in the future?

Yes, I am kinda ticked.
    I used to order from Bike Bandit quite regularly. I havent ordered from them in over a year now. On three separate orders they either sent me the wrong part, didnt send a part at all, or sent me TWO of one part and none of the other... And whats very frustrating is trying to convey to them what they've screwed up over a chatbox. Id rather talk to a human being live on the phone thanks. The last time I ordered from them, i recieved NO notice of order status, or shipping, untill AFTER i had the parts. They used to be really good, but, like it seems happens to all the parts suppliers that get too big for their breeches, they have gone horribly off track. I now order my parts from BabbittsOnline.com out of MI, Z1Enterprises.com (i order as much as I can from them..) or Flatout/Part Shark.com (although i really dont like their sign on delivery policy) Recently I was turned on to CrotchRocket.com, which uses the same fiche engine as BB, babbitts and others, and is a little cheaper on shipping. I havent ordered from them, but Steve did recently, so im waiting on a review from him...

Comment

The airbox gaskets are unobtainium. Not included with the metal covers. Not available at all. You have to fabricate your own. Foam weather stripping works. You probably need some on top of the filter cage too, to seal it against the separating wall in the airbox.
      Dogma
      --
      O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
      '80 GS850 GLT
      '80 GS1000 GT
      '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by Counter View Post
        All - I just bought a side cover for the airbox on my '81 GS850GX from the Bike Bandit...

The schematic doesn't show a gasket with a separate part number.
        The original end seals were made of rubber and were glued on to the ends of the air box. the only way they would have been serviced, is with the air cleaner housing.
        see #1 in the diagram, P/N# 13700-45030 which is obsolete.
        De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

I always wondered why they didn't have their own p/n.
          Dogma
          --

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
          '80 GS850 GLT
          '80 GS1000 GT
          '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Until I purchased my 80 and saw the glue that was holding them on, I didn't know either.

Comment

Aw, now I'm doubting. Are you sure that was factory glue? Mine had no signs of glue, and they were a real pain to install (especially in that dilapidated state. Is it possible a PO glued them on?
              Dogma
              --

--
              '80 GS850 GLT
              '80 GS1000 GT
              '01 ZRX1200R

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
                Aw, now I'm doubting. Are you sure that was factory glue? Mine had no signs of glue, and they were a real pain to install (especially in that dilapidated state. Is it possible a PO glued them on?
                They were glued on by the factory. I had a real hassle re-fitting my old rubbers. The PO had them just sitting inside the covers and not completely sealing the edges. They had stretched somewhat from their original size, probably from years of exposure to fuel vapours.

The only solution was to cut the seals just below the top compartment and trim around 3-4mm off each side and then glued them back onto the box ends. This made a very precise seal and hasn't moved over the last 5 years of servicing/cleaning the filter.

I think that the weather strip idea is good too, but it will probably break down over a few years. The rubber seal repair should outlast the bike.
                :) The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
                GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
                GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
                GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
                http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

Years of fuel fumes take their toll on the gaskets. Make some as sugested

Comment

I weatherstripped mine about ten years ago, and I've replaced the weatherstripping once in over 80,000 miles. It lasts pretty well!

It didn't really need to be replaced, either, but I was taking the airbox halves apart to put weatherstripping in between anyway. (In case you're wondering, later model airboxes are made in two plastic halves, which have a rubber seal in between the top and bottom parts that also deteriorates.)

As far as BikeBandit, the only possible honest answer would have been "we don't know" when you asked if the covers included the seals. They don't have the parts sitting there in front of them -- they have to order them from Suzuki first, same as any other dealer or parts seller. I have no idea why they chose to tell you the seals were included. That was not very good service.

Opened parts bags are pretty common with any parts seller as well. Sometimes this is because Suzuki combines the retailer's daily orders and then they are repackaged at the retailer before shipping to you. Sometimes they just come that way from Suzuki -- perhaps on an older cosmetic part they open the bag to check for corrosion. Other times, it's a complete mystery who opened the bag or why. It's definitely not something to get worked up about.
                    Last edited by bwringer; 08-19-2009, 10:58 PM.
                    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
                      Aw, now I'm doubting. Are you sure that was factory glue?
                      I'm sure.

Originally posted by 49er View Post
                      They were glued on by the factory. I had a real hassle re-fitting my old rubbers. The PO had them just sitting inside the covers and not completely sealing the edges. They had stretched somewhat from their original size, probably from years of exposure to fuel vapours.
                      49er, yours did the exact same thing as mine. the left side rubber had expanded over time.
                      and like you, I believe the reason for the swelling was also caused by oil/fuel vapors.

Comment

49er, yours did the exact same thing as mine. the left side rubber had expanded over time.
                        and like you, I believe the reason for the swelling was also caused by oil/fuel vapors.[/QUOTE]

Rusty, I've just looked a little closer at my repaired rubber seals after checking the condition of the foam filter. It appears that both seals have been letting in some air at the bottom edges. The rubber is thinner there and doesn't have as much sealing pressure from the caps. I've just added a small piece of weather strip along the bottom of each cap to complete the seal in that area. Probably hasn't affected the mixtures too much. It would have been significant if air was getting in the top section/filter compartment. It may run a bit richer now.
                        :) The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
                        GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
                        GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
                        GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
                        http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by 49er View Post
                          Rusty, I've just looked a little closer at my repaired rubber seals after checking the condition of the foam filter. It appears that both seals have been letting in some air at the bottom edges. The rubber is thinner there and doesn't have as much sealing pressure from the caps. I've just added a small piece of weather strip along the bottom of each cap to complete the seal in that area. Probably hasn't affected the mixtures too much. It would have been significant if air was getting in the top section/filter compartment. It may run a bit richer now.

It's really best to just give up on those old rubber or foam seals and use self-adhesive weatherstripping. As you've found, the old seals continue to deteriorate.

I think later model (1982+) airboxes used foam seals, but neither type lasts very long or is worth saving when you can so easily make a better seal with 50 cents' worth of weatherstripping.
                          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

this is what the 1980 GS850G air box rubber seals look like.
                            they're in the lower right hand side of the picture.

Comment

Yeah, I noticed them on Ebay. I was going to put in a bid, but everyone has been saying that the old ones don't work so well. I think I will do the foam tape. I purchased a roll of black rubber foam from Lowes. Not the cheap gray foam, but the good stuff...

What the heck, for a couple of bucks, it may last till spring.

Comment

Working...
                              X