Cyclepartsnation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cyclepartsnation

Today I received an order I placed with cyclepartsnation, totalled about $180 in all. One of the things I ordered was a RH muffler cover for the 1980 GS250TT I'm restoring, part number listed on their fische is 14781-11400. Suzuki superceded that with 14781-11410 and that's the part I received. Problem is it's black, the original exhaust system is chrome. There was no way to tell this supreceded part was going to be different than the original and obviously I don't want the black one.

I called cyclepartsnation to explain the situation and to figure out what to do about it. VERY disappointed with the response I got from their representative. The attitude was entirely not their fault so there was nothing they could or would do and I was stuck with the loss. He further suggested I got the part chromed at my own expense.

I understand there's no way they can know when or why a manufacturer supercedes part numbers but I found it a little much to be told it was in my court to eat the cost.

Took way more wrangling and "discussion" than I would have expected and eventually I did get a return authorisation number out of them so I could get my money back BUT I'll be thinking very hard before purchasing from them again.

Just putting the experience out there as I know a number of us use this supplier.
    It's smoke that make electronic components work.
    Every time I've let the smoke out by mistake, they never work again.
    '80 GS250T... long gone... And back!
    '86 Honda Bol D'Or... very sadly long gone
    '82 GS1000SZ
    '82 GS1100GL
    '01 Honda CBR1100XX BlackBird

I blame Suzuki for the part mix up, not the retailer. I have a bunch of parts sitting in boxes now after Suzuki either changed the part in a way that was unsuitable to me or Suzuki shipped the wrong part. There are even parts where Suzuki did a supercession and the new part flat out is wrong and won't fit. When something like this occurs the retailer should call Suzuki and give them a rash of crap and tell them that they cost them a sale. Sadly, I don't think this happens very often thus some of these problems don't get fixed.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Yep, absolutely agree, the fault lies with Suzuki. The retailer cannot be held responsible for changes Suzuki make like this, but by the same token, it's not my fault either.

Fact is, I thought twice about whether I would even call. The part cost $17 so didn't exactly break the bank but in the end I decided I would otherwise word wouldn't get out.

The bit that surprised me was the attitude of the retailer being completely unwilling to accept any other explanation than I'd made a mistake and ordered the wrong part. Then proceeded to tell me how much the restocking fee was etc.

Mix up's like this will happen, they're unavoidable, but I'd rather deal with a company a little more willing to meet me half way.
      '82 GS1000SZ
      '82 GS1100GL

Comment

Pay with a credit (not debit) card. If you have a problem, you can talk to your credit card company and have them do a chargeback; that way the merchant has the funds pulled from their account until the credit card company can investigate. These laws were written back when the government actually cared that consumers didn't get ripped off or otherwise in trouble with credit. It gives you some leverage with a stubborn, stupid merchant. It's another reason that credit is better than Paypal, though sometimes they will intercede if you order an item, and don't receive the item, or it is wrong, or not as described.
        1979 GS 1000

Comment

I do hate it when a retailer assumes I made a mistake when I have purchased a part and was given the wrong item. ****y attitudes drive me nuts.
          I ordered a new hub for my 650g two weeks ago from Cycle parts nation and it arrived today. It was $60.00 cheaper than Partshark and 98.00 cheaper than Alphasport. I'm happy. Looks like the right one. We'll see.

cg
          sigpic
          83 GS1100g
          2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

mid west action cycle is a inexpencive place to get parts as well, 1-800-343-9065
            i dont like re stocking fees either , i wouldnt pay it if its there fault or suzuki'es, if you gave a wrong part number,they got ya, but if your right,your right!

Comment

I ordered a throttle grip which was the superceeded part number...
              turned out the grip was the wrong pattern, but as it was the correct part I asked for, I will stand it.
              The seller did manage to find the correct one, and sent ne a photo to compare, he sent it carriage free, which was very good of him.
              suzukitandgtparts.nl... guy's name is Marcel, and I would recommend him as a good seller.

I agree, when suzuki superceed parts, they should at least give a description as to the difference.

Comment

yea you really need to see what your buying

Comment

Originally posted by cyclefvr2 View Post
                  yea you really need to see what your buying
                  Even that's not any guarantee though, this part is the correct shape so they look identical, just different finishes. No mention of that anywhere I could find.
                  '82 GS1000SZ
                  '82 GS1100GL

Comment

The superceeded parts should fit and work correctly.. but as you say, don't have to look right... engine emblems are a prime example..

John

Comment

and so are the mirror posts. the originals are chrome, the replacements are coming in black.
                      De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Working...
                      X