Harbor freight #47016 spray gun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Harbor freight #47016 spray gun

Link to the manufacturers product details >>> http://www.harborfreight.com/20-oz-h...gun-47016.html
    all relevant details can be found in the specs tab.

Although it is regularly found on sale for $14.99 (manufacturers list price $24.99) I purchased this paint gun on sale for the low-low price of $9.99 plus tax. the intent of my purchase was to find a low cost alternative for the occasional painter and if it sprayed properly, it just might be the ultimate in frugality.

Let me start of by saying it isn't HVLP! it's just a conventional full size gravity gun. the guns recommended spraying pressure of 50-70 psi is above what is normally used on a hvlp spray gun. as an aside, the handle is marked "maximum 45 psi" inlet pressure, which makes me wonder if the gun they were trying to copy had it same markings?

before you even think of spraying paint with this gun, you MUST disassemble the front components and properly clean them. the gun I purchased was loaded with oil, thread lubricants and some sort of rubberized sealant. the rubberized sealant covered four of the eight holes in the fluid nozzle (not the air cap) and one third of one of the two holes in the plastic washer (gasket) which seals the fluid nozzle to the guns body (handle). I had to remove (pick) the sealant off the fluid nozzle, the washer and the body, then remove the excess oil protecting the fluid needle and then clean the parts with lacquer thinner. when you are finished cleaning up the factory provided mess, I also highly recommend that you tighten the fluid nozzle with the provided multi-tool (wrench), loosen and re-tighten it several times to insure the the gasket seals properly. while you are at it, make sure everything else is tightened as well, being especially careful NOT to tighten the trigger packing. just make sure it isn't loose. you can always adjust it if it leaks air. install the paint cup making sure its sealing washer stays where it belongs, attach your favorite pressure regulator and you "should" be good to go.

one more thing, the provided manual is nigh on useless other than for a dis/re-assembly pictorial.

the HF 47016 is capable of spraying paint from a round spot to a 12" pattern at a distance of 8 inches, but I would say 9 inches is about the maximum it will spray with good results.

I would recommend as a good starting point, 55 psi with the trigger pulled, 2 turns open on the fluid adjustment (rear) and 1-1/2 turns on the fan adjustment (side). that should give you a fairly good 9 to 9-1/2 inch pattern with evenly distributed metallics.

load it up with paint, tune it (adjust for paint distribution and atomization) and have at it.

alrighty then, on to my assessments...

PROS...
    1. it's a low cost gun
    2. did I say it's really cheap?
    3. it didn't spit paint
    4. it's capable of distributing paint properly.
    5. it's capable of atomizing paint properly
    6. you get more than you pay for
    7. the tip is a 1.4mm instead of the 1.5mm that the specs show it as

CONS...
    1. it's really cheap!
    2. it can be figgity (sp?) to properly set up
    3. my sample slightly leaked air out of the guns regulator.
    4. the spray pattern is inconsistent between different gun settings.
    5. your sample may (will?) need to be "fixed" before use.
    6. it only needs 6 cfm to operate (honestly! my 1 hp two stage craftsman rated 6.9cfm @40 psi ran it)
    7. it puts less paint on the part being painted than if it were a hvlp

after reworking it, I'll give the HF 47016 5 out of 10 stars because it's cheap...

some spray patterns with the 47016.

Last edited by rustybronco; 06-23-2010, 02:27 PM. Reason: clean up my wording/spelling and additional comments
    De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

nice find but id buy a transstar gun they are like 30 bucks i know its more than the one u found but this one is a hvlp and they dont work to bad. u should always clean a new gun with thinner to be safe there is usually oils in the heads. just my .02 if u like the siphone feed tho thats a outstanding price

Comment

Originally posted by crazypaint View Post
      nice find but id buy a transstar gun they are like 30 bucks i know its more than the one u found but this one is a hvlp and they dont work to bad. u should always clean a new gun with thinner to be safe there is usually oils in the heads. just my .02 if u like the siphone feed tho thats a outstanding price
      What Transstar is $30? These are all way over $100

Comment

Was this painted with that spray gun? Actually, I thought there may be a story here.

Comment

no if u have a harborfrieght by u they got um ill double check on the brand name pretty sure its transstar

Comment

Originally posted by omaharj View Post
            http://img91.imageshack.us/i/gs11.jpg/?a=j&ci=-1&rt=1

Was this painted with that spray gun? Actually, I thought there may be a story here.
            I was wondering if he painted this?

Comment

Rustybronco,

Thanks for the review, I bought one of these guns a couple of weeks ago and will probably be spraying with it next week. I'm definitely going to follow your advise on it and hope that I can get some decent results. Just another reason why I would be lost without this place.

Comment

ikantbreave,

This answer will be general in nature.

Get a piece of hood or fender from a body shop to practice on first. properly reduce (thin) the paint you are going to use, set the pressure at the gun to 50 Psi, open the fluid control 1 turn and adjust the fan control until you get a 5-6 inch wide fan. then open open/close the fluid adjust as necessary until you get an evenly distributed pattern with good metallic distribution which is wet but not to the point of dripping. make sure the metallic is not to heavy on one end and the pattern doesn't hook to one side. what you see should be nice and even in all regards. hold the gun steady about 6-7 inches away and perpendicular to the panel, then SMOOTHLY pull the trigger from closed to full open and back to closed in one nice movement. you are NOT trying to slam it open or closed. take a look at the "outer" edges of the spray pattern and make sure the droplets are fine in nature. if they are heavy or coarse if you will, just crank up the pressure "a little" until it is and recheck your guns settings until you are pleased with the results.

hold the gun 6 inches away from the surface you are spraying and... practice a nice even speed, overlapping each previous pass 50%. if the paint runs you're going to slow, if it's dry slow down.

and remember to keep the gun perpendicular to the surface you are spraying.

just like spraying from a can, but you are adjusting the "nozzle"

<edit> some reading material... "basics of basics" http://autobody101.com/
                Last edited by rustybronco; 07-01-2010, 01:13 PM.
                De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

pant gun review

i got one if them from my local store and it worked great ! yours must have been used cleaned and returned this happens a lot. i dont remember my setting but on my 3 gallon air compressor ran it great. i only use them 3-4 time and give them away . there on sale here right now for $10 but for the money its not bad you can do worse!! (auto zone junk) i spray a DuPont line of paint and clears and even i high fill primer. never had any spiting. i would not say its great for ppl new to spraying paint cuz will the metal is cheap and if you pull it apart to many times the threads tend to cross or pull out on the trigger. the top cover too the cup likes to seal up with paint too. but if i had to rate it i give it a 5 out of 10 too.
                  heres a photo of the last thing i painted with my gun before i gave it too a friend.

Last edited by Guest; 12-31-2011, 04:30 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X