Progressive fork springs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Progressive fork springs

If you have ever been contemplated purchasing a set, all I can say is just do it. No need for air in the forks, no twitching out of the front end because of uneven air pressure from a slightly leaking seal, improved ride quality and handling.

Just do it...
    Last edited by rustybronco; 04-30-2013, 08:36 AM.
    De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Ditto. If you search long enough you can find them cheap. Mine were 60 bucks on amazon. Took me 3 months to find them though. Which is half of a VT winter

Comment

Silly question: When you say "progressive", does that refer to the type of spring, or a company that makes fork springs? (Or... both?)

And would you guys be willing to post some links to where you got yours?

Thanks!
      Charles
      --
      1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Both... The company that makes them is Progressive suspension and they are progressively wound. http://www.progressivesuspension.com...ric/index.html

I bought mine from a member (JWhelan65) who put a set up for sale.
        De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

I put a set of these in my 850 20 years ago and they have been great ever since. The stock springs were sacked out and these were a big improvement and not having to mess with the air was a plus.

Pat
          78' GS1000EC
          79' GS850GN
          79' GS1000N
          79' GS1000EN
          81' GS1100EX

Comment

Did both, Progressive shocks and springs on my G and the improvement was nothing shot of phenomenal. you can set it up by playing with the pre-load to be either plush or sporty. If your planning on riding yours versus having a garage queen they are worth the investment.

Cheers

Comment

Dittos. It's really amazing how much difference the correct fork springs make -- best bang for the buck you'll find.

One caveat -- if you're larger and/or faster than average, you'll get even more benefit from straight rate springs in the correct spring rate.

The progressive springs from Progressive are sort of an "all-purpose" spring -- great if you're close to "average" weight and velocity. Being on the high end on both counts, I had to preload my Progressive springs very heavily to get sag in the ballpark, and the spring rate was still far too soft for me.

The most immediately apparent difference once I had the correct springs in my GS was a big reduction in brake dive. The front end also works much better when proceeding rapidly.

For straight-rate springs, I've been very happy with Sonic springs ( http://sonicsprings.com ) -- they're in all of my bikes. Use the spring calculator to determine the correct spring rate for your weight, riding style, and bike.

If you have any questions, just send an email or a message to the site owner, Rich Desmond -- he's a member of the GSR and will respond to you very quickly.
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I have not yet "sprung" for new fork springs on my personal GS, but we just put Progressives in my son's "Rat Bagger".
                Yes, there is quite a difference, and I agree with Brian on his observations.

After seeing just how closely-wound the one end is on the Progressive springs, I can only wonder just how much of that is consumed with the little bit of preload that we added when we put them together.

In my case ("Junior"), Brian has a little more ... let's say gravitational attraction than I do, and his velocities are a bit higher, as well, but my bike has more weight up front in the form of a frame-mounted fairing. I think that would pretty much eat up any advantage of the closely-wound, progressive part of a spring, so I will be getting some straight-rate Sonics as well. Their calculator says I will be using the highest rate of 1.1, which is the same as the GK1100 (also has a front fairing), so it should be good.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

My calculations (me= 170lbs geared up, 500 lb wet weight, aggressive street riding) have me at 0.95 right between Sonic's 0.9 and 1.0 rating. Should one go stiffer in this case?

Or is it a case of getting the softer spring and adding some preload?
                  '83 GS650G
                  '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Working...
                  X