No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tomo, please start a build thread in the other projects section when you can.
    I am certain that I am not the only one interested in your progress on it.

Comment

Spent some quality time cleaning the '78.

2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

bike looks great, and so does the weather. Beats our grey overcast wet windy day here. Hey don't you Easterners have foot pegs and gear shifters??
        Rob
        1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
        Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Always one wise guy in the group...now if i could just remember where those footpegs went?
          10c and sunny today. Put about 150kms on the Honda.
          2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Nothing much...family weekend.

Did manage to get the replacement forks painted and gaitors back on.

Ran out of oxygen (not me - the oxy-acetalyne set ) and got a refill today. Hope to finish up final welds this week and get the frame ready for powder coating.

Comment

Originally posted by Doby View Post
              Chagnged the oil and tightened everything up. Just swapped a $1500 Pathfinder for this. It has 27k miles and probably $5,000 in go-faster and handling upgrades. Upgraded Progressive suspension, 17 inch wheels (with a 190 rear tire), R-1 brakes, carbon fiber/titanium exhaust, switchable V-Boost, etc. What fun. When I have the V-Boost activated from idle it is almost hard to keep the front end down. :knary:
              1996 V-Max 1200
              Very Nice! I've got one of those myself. Looks like it came with some decent mods too. Adding 17" wheels is not a cheap proposition. The $1500 vehicle you traded would not pay for a set of those wheels new.

Congrats! If you need any information or help with the bike stop by at http://www.vmaxforum.net/index.php Lots of good information over there.

I've got an '06 with a few mods.

Comment

Not GS related...

But the alternator started setting the battery light off and the alt belt started squealing on my 1999 300M, so I ripped the alternator apart and me being the 'frugal' type fudged in a set of brushes instead of buying a complete brush holder for it.

I cut the old brushes off, drilled a small hole the tab to feed the new wire through, wound the wire around the tab twisted and soldered the new brush in place then re-soldered the new brush back on the old brush holder.

Bought a NOS front bearing off Ebay for the price of $13.29 including shipping and when get it all reassembled and back on the car I should have a working alternator for under $14.

De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
                  But the alternator started setting the battery light off and the alt belt started squealing on my 1999 300M, so I ripped the alternator apart and me being the 'frugal' type fudged in a set of brushes instead of buying a complete brush holder for it....
                  My first car was a 1962 Ford Galaxy. After only 80,000 miles, the generator bearings were so shot that the brushes wore out after about 5,000 miles. Not knowing how to change the bearings then, I changed brushed so often that I could get the job done in about 20 minutes, from hood open to hood closed. Ah, the days of lots of space around the engine!
                  sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Put a front seal in my master cylinder...twelve times. Oh sure, most of you can do it in less time, but where's the fun in that?

bwringer got my front brakes working correctly on Sunday. Took him about an hour. I'd worked on it since March. See how much more fun I got to have?

Discovered that I had a leak in the master cylinder, so I tore it apart and finally got it fixed.

Comment

I haven't had much time to do any wrenching (that'll change this weekend) but I picked up a legit set of rearsets.

$50 plus shipping . I wasn't able to find much info but what I've gathered is they're quite solid and only in Japan. They're like $250+ new too They wouldn't bolt onto his Supermoto and I need custom mounts anyway so I got a good deal. I should get them sometime next week.

Now I just have to sell my extra set of complete 2012 R6 rearsets (with MC and rear brake). Maybe I can use the R6 master cylinder with thes... hmmm

Comment

You stole those rearsets! Well done.
                        2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Had to sort out my vacuum port on the carb today.

Riding home from work, filled up with fuel, but she didn't feel right pulling away from the servo... less than a km up the road she carked it just like she was out of fuel...

Turns out the vacuum port on the carb had popped out of the socket, so popped it back in and got home ok.

I put some blue locktite on it for the moment... anyone have a better suggestion on what to keep it in with?

It's always been a little loose since the carb clean but this is the first time it's ever actually come out...
                          1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                          1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

...back to the carbs- one began to overflow. Come to take the bowls apart and the float needles are different lengths otherwise identical. (After the first varnish scrape the bike ran and didn't overflow)...seats and needletips are ok considering..... I filed down the long one to match and reset the bowls. Doesn't overflow now, but I grow afraid it's a gremlins bike... These are the only loose float needles I have so it's impossible to have put a wrong one in....

Comment

Finally installed these today.
                              Only been sitting around for about a year, I think.
                              The Three Horsemen
                              '85 GS1150ES (Current Income Eater)
                              '83 GS1100ES
                              ‘77 XLCR

"Never ride faster than you can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes."
                              Porkchop Express

Comment

The Ram got an oil change and a good washing today. It's amazing how dirty a vehicle can get just sitting in the driveway.

Comment

Working...
                                X