No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kind of similar to the so called 'professional' who didn't install the front wheel properly huh?
    De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Yeah... although to be fair at least the business owner took the time to contact me and let me know he was not happy to hear it!
      1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
      1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

What toDo with an old windjammer...?

not exactly today's wrenching, but current....

what to do with a windjammer fairing? can't put it on a 400,so...
        here's the windscreen mounted.
        Why? because I have never had a windscreen and need see what they're good for.
        Why this? because the Spitfires that keep coming across my plate are too short and buffet the helmet...I take em off after a try and give em to friends with low-riding bikes.

But I kept the spitfire hardware.

it works at 110 kmh (65mph) but is a bit scary if I think about the imbalance tipping up and cutting my throat or one side of the screen coming adrift and ...etc...

Is it worth it? Well, I almost "get it". I was riding along at 100kmh with just sunglasses and visor up...that zone of windless visibility below the slipstream is intriguing and I could hear the engine better (echoing off the screen?)
        steering was a little odd, being a new load but it was suprisingly consistent, despite that bit of crosswind I purposely chose to test in. Just a few weird blips, but I get these on this light bike naked, just riding through cold air pockets!

But I don't like the feeling of the muddy view through plastic

AND the greatest effect was on my palms. A lot of pressure on these that didn't exist before without the screen...obviously, more of a sit-up-and-beg posture is wanted behind this shelter. I have some slightly taller bars to try ....(is this the downward spiral to an L? I'm joking, if it isn't obvious)

Comment

This morning I replaced my front tire on the 83 1100E. This is the first time I did a complete removal and install myself. Replaced my lumpy Perrelli with a new Continental Conti Go 100/90-19 that I bought off Amazon for $91.00 w/free shipping, received in two days out of PA. Three hours that included off, on, balance, and rotor rotation(on backwards, wrong sides the last 8 or so years). Feels excellent going down the road. Now I have to wear the little nubs off. The manufacture date on the new tire is 06/13, fresh one. The old one was stiff as a brick. I won't tell you what year that one was built, Monica Lewinsky might have still been around.

Last edited by Guest; 08-03-2013, 06:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
            not exactly today's wrenching, but current....

what to do with a windjammer fairing? can't put it on a 400,so...
            here's the windscreen mounted.
            Why? because I have never had a windscreen and need see what they're good for.
            Why this? because the Spitfires that keep coming across my plate are too short and buffet the helmet...I take em off after a try and give em to friends with low-riding bikes.

But I kept the spitfire hardware.

it works at 110 kmh (65mph) but is a bit scary if I think about the imbalance tipping up and cutting my throat or one side of the screen coming adrift and ...etc...

Is it worth it? Well, I almost "get it". I was riding along at 100kmh with just sunglasses and visor up...that zone of windless visibility below the slipstream is intriguing and I could hear the engine better (echoing off the screen?)
            steering was a little odd, being a new load but it was suprisingly consistent, despite that bit of crosswind I purposely chose to test in. Just a few weird blips, but I get these on this light bike naked, just riding through cold air pockets!

But I don't like the feeling of the muddy view through plastic

AND the greatest effect was on my palms. A lot of pressure on these that didn't exist before without the screen...obviously, more of a sit-up-and-beg posture is wanted behind this shelter. I have some slightly taller bars to try ....(is this the downward spiral to an L? I'm joking, if it isn't obvious)
            Interesting... personally I don't like big screens but I needed something on the 450 more for performance than anything. Headwinds at 100+kph sap too much power with me as a wind sock.

It's amazing the difference my little fly screen makes, and after re-making the brackets after one broke recently, it's even better with stronger brackets and angled a little more vertical. The key to a good short screen is the angle I have found...

sigpic

Comment

Busy day...

Replaced the front brake pads in the '99 Suburban...

Then I worked on the new '99 BMW R1100S
              Adjusted the valves...
              Replaced the grips...
              And added a Throttlemeister kit....

All good...
              Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
              '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

a clean up on the rickman CR1000
                fix abit of PO work
                change the clipons to rg500 bars
                polish up the exhaust system

Comment

Spent the afternoon changing brake pads on my '05 F350 for a heckuva lot cheaper ($132) than both Ford ($500 pads only $1000 with replacing the rotors) and Midas ($300) quoted me. I didn't turn the rotors but they didn't need it and it was the first time in the 7 years I had the truck that the brakes needed changing. Plus it was a nice 2.5 hours with the eldest helping when she wasn't playing with my friend's dog. I also noticed today that I'm only 630 miles from rolling over 250,000 - that'll be a picture I'll need to take.

I also installed the tach drive into the valve cover and ground off the powder coat from the swingarm shock studs. The pictures were taken at night and didn't come out well so I'll do new ones tomorrow.
                  Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                  1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                  2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                  Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                  and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

need to change the signature to include...

This little bugger that we picked up at a flea market for $550 today and slipped into the mini van.

Tweak here and there, oil change and lube. Tommorrow we will look at all the other PMs. Until then we ride!

Hondas
                    '73 ATC70 '85 XL125S '02 XR650L
                    Suzuki
                    '83 gs750t vin#551 '97 DR650
                    Kaw
                    '89 KLR650

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by yasser View Post
                      This little bugger that we picked up at a flea market for $550 today and slipped into the mini van.

Tweak here and there, oil change and lube. Tommorrow we will look at all the other PMs. Until then we ride!

i thought buying kids was illegal ?

Comment

Not much can contain him now. Scary competent rider on anything with wheels. Attached is what he will be like when school starts.

I wanna ride...
                        Hondas
                        '73 ATC70 '85 XL125S '02 XR650L
                        Suzuki
                        '83 gs750t vin#551 '97 DR650
                        Kaw
                        '89 KLR650

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
                          Busy day...

Replaced the front brake pads in the '99 Suburban...

Then I worked on the new '99 BMW R1100S
                          Adjusted the valves...
                          Replaced the grips...
                          And added a Throttlemeister kit....

All good...
                          Is this your third R1100S?
                          sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Originally posted by pete View Post
                            Interesting... personally I don't like big screens but I needed something on the 450 more for performance than anything. Headwinds at 100+kph sap too much power with me as a wind sock.

It's amazing the difference my little fly screen makes, and after re-making the brackets after one broke recently, it's even better with stronger brackets and angled a little more vertical. The key to a good short screen is the angle I have found...
                            yes, yours is tiny, pete, compared to this. I'll just have to try that and see what you mean. I expect that the sheltered area is bigger than the actual screen.. I just have the idea that if a screen is small, the air that comes off it will hit me with increased velocity where I am not sheltered by it. Plus , there are back eddies. ie: I get an interesting push on my sides from my example.

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
                              yes, yours is tiny, pete, compared to this. I'll just have to try that and see what you mean. I expect that the sheltered area is bigger than the actual screen.. I just have the idea that if a screen is small, the air that comes off it will hit me with increased velocity where I am not sheltered by it. Plus , there are back eddies. ie: I get an interesting push on my sides from my example.
                              Yep, that's why it's all in the angle Mine's nearly vertical now...

The original bikini fairing I had on this when I first bought it was similar to the stock S fairing, but it curved so the top of the screen was pointing back at about my stomach, so it directed *all* wind blast onto my chest and head... didn't take long before I ripped that off!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by themess View Post
                                Is this your third R1100S?
                                Nope...first boxer....
                                Had two K1100RSes....
                                Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                                '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Working...
                                X