No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got tired of laying on the floor to work on motorcycles. So I built a 7'L x 2'W x 1.5'H table out of 3/4" plywood, 4x4s, and 2x6s. Plenty strong enough to handle that heavy pig of Seca Turbo!

Comment

Great job!
      I just wish that I had a Seca Turbo.

Daniel

Comment

Thanks. This one has under 5k miles too! But, I'm afraid the check valve on the oil scavenge pump is bad............That means splitting the cases, and I'm not sure I'm up to that task. Still have a few other things to check though. I'd really like to find a XN85 or Gamma that I could afford!!! Maybe one day
        Last edited by Guest; 04-10-2011, 05:58 PM.

Comment

Got my new V&H totally mounted up and ready to go. Man it sounds sweet

Comment

Lots of close up picks of the new pipes..i wanna see how they look.. The brake pedal mod will be there by weds or thurs.
            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Can do. Ill head out now for pics.

Comment

Finished soaking frt. fender in wood bleach, little sanding, then primed and painted inside, so hopefully rust won't come back. Also replaced some dash lights on one of my cars, and took the headliner off to get it recovered. terrylee

Comment

Took off the stator cover and replaced the thrust washer on the starter side that I'd left off in the fall.........I never winterized it and last ran it the first Sunday of October. Took about a minute on prime to fire, couple minutes to smooth out, took it out about 15 miles, ran fine. I don't deserve such a forgiving bike.
                  "When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." Bishop Helder Camara

"Beware of the man with only one gun. He probably knows how to use it."

82 GS1100E....black w/WC fairing and plenty o corrosion and low levels of attention

Comment

Did not make a rebuild thread or take nearly enough pictures but lets see.

For the 650 GL, finished replacing the stator and r/r, soldered the wires up and bike came to life again for the season with little effort. Chris noticed my oil leak appears to be from the half moons, which is good cause I was afraid it was something more serious and I did the entire top end last year with OEM gaskets. I have some that came with the 850 that might fit next time I do a valve check or just next time I got the time.

The 850 was a lot more of a project, fork seals are done. Carbs mounted up fine, the airbox was labeled 750&850 but the boots did not fit at all, seems it was a box off a 750. So to test things I trimmed and glued the 750 boots that fits the airbox with the pod boots that fit the carbs and was able to hold a seal to test the bike. The oil change was pretty nasty and the bolt was very stripped put in a 2x up sized bolt with the small bolt in the middle to drain in the future. Seemed to go in well and hold so will do for now. The exhaust was a very nice set of pipes given to me with the bike but are not 850 pipes... side marked as 850GL so the head matches but the mounting spot in the back isnt right. It does fit but will require some more work to secure and required taking the center stand off that I just put on, was handy for the fork seals though. Speaking of the stock springs are just plain shot, got it all together and even with some preload the sit pretty much sagged all the way down, could increase the shim but will get some new ones. Oh and with a new battery and replaced ground wire it did fire up and run. The tank had some nasty gas that got drained but could use a flush as some rust seemed to be there, hate to ruin a carb clean with bad gas...

So the 850 runs and drove around the yard but has a few more things to be road worthy, the 650 did 15 miles from my friends garage back home just fine. Now if the forecast can work with me I can get some riding in or at least let Chris have some wheels while I am at work.

Comment

Pingel Fuel valve on GS1000ST

Not exactly huge job but ended up a bit of a drama. Bike's a 1980 GS1000ST.

It's never run well for the first 20min or so of the ride - basically missing a couple of cylinders, and then runs normally. It's got aftermarket carbs - smoothbores, and the general opinion (including that of the mechanic I use) is that the vacuum-fed petcock doesn't work well with these. Basically the hypothesis is that the carbs/plugs get gummed up, and an effective shut off system like the Pingel would solve the problem.

Ordered a Pingel from the US; ordered the wrong adaptor, so ordered that, then fitted it yesterday. No real problems, although disappointingly the battery stayed flat straight afterwards, as getting the fuel through, and related issues meant I ran it flat, and still didn't charge after a 30min ride.

Switched Pingel on off position again overnight (charging with trickle charger) and went for a ride on Sunday. Bike ran like rubbish this time for only 5 min or so, so an improvement. Also battery seems OK too - I dón't really want to get into the nightmare that is the reg/rect/stator checks so I'm hoping it will be OK for now.

So I'm hoping the bike will run better next time, but won't have a chance to ride it for a few days unfortunately.

Other thing was I tried to fit my fairing to the front with my newly acquired brackets - do I really need to take the forks out to put the ring bit on the bracket through? All the pictures either have the bracket with the ring bit cut or look like it sits on top of the forks. Was hoping to sort out this at the same time, but a forks off job is a full session. Not beyond capability though.

I'll get some pictures tonight hopefully.

Comment

Ahhhhh... warm weather!

I straightened, welded new metal then filed a chain guard bracket which had taken the brunt of a chain that had broken sometime in the skunks sorrid past.

also worked at further dis-assembling one of my two air compressors; trying to straighten out the damage it incurred when one of my children tried to 'FIX' it.
                        De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Dale...am i seeing the beginings of project UNSTINK me??
                          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Why YES you are!

I still need to build up that wooden 'frame work' so that I can sand blast without wasting too much sand. unfortunately repairing the compressor had taken precedence over it for a bit. just a reminder... never give a moron a hammer as they will try to 'FIX' a bad air check valve by smashing the start capacitor.
                            Last edited by rustybronco; 04-11-2011, 10:49 PM. Reason: as
                            De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

HEY!!! I will, let you know i do very wel with a hammer...

Comment

Tightened the chain and changed the front wheel bearings. I sure hope both of those were done right because I was a little nervous while doing them. They seem okay so we'll see what happens on my test drive later this week.
                                Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                                1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                                2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                                Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                                and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Working...
                                X