X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The season for motorcycles may have ended --

Yesterday we got our seasons first real snowfall --
    6 inches of the wet stuff -- now frozen hard with temps in the 20's

Hoping for a few nice days yet this year -- but global warming seems to have missed my area...?

Currently in the Stable :
    2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
    1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
    - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

6 inches.
    Ah, that can stay on that side of the Lake.

We had some slushy snow yesterday, but ground is warm enough yet that it melted and did not accumulate.

I am still holding out for a day here and there.
    And as such, dont use the heater in the car, well, dont turn it up past where the blue and red overlapp.
    If turned it up to the red only area, that would be disrespectful to the bike har har har

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

For me, deer season is another factor that puts a large gap into late fall.

In November 2013, I hit a 7-point buck while riding my KLR650, collecting my third broken left femur and second broken right wrist. It was only later that I found out that November 9 was the exact peak of the whitetail deer rut that year. So I stay out of the countryside from mid-October to late November, no matter what the weather is doing. I do still ride to work, grocery store, etc. during this time.

No matter what, I almost always ride to work when it's dry, even when it's cold, but I've misjudged and ridden home in the snow more than once.

I've also adjusted my risk/benefit equation in the last few years. My commute is seven miles and all city streets, so it's not all that rewarding a ride anyway, and of course traffic is always pretty dense. Stir in short daylight hours and they way people turn into zombies when it gets dark early, and that's about my limit on risk factors.

I generally drive now if there's one other risk factor. For example, it was relatively warm Wednesday, but off and on rain was predicted all day, so I hopped in my van. Rain and dropping temps yesterday turned into flurries on the way home, and today (Friday) started out well below freezing.

Up until the last year or two I normally managed to ride every single day it wasn't snowing too hard between Valentine's Day and Thanksgiving.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

For me, the tires, my tires are worn out. I have 12,000 miles on these Michelin PR4's. I didn't want to buy a new set till next spring... Plus what was already mentioned, Deer, shorter days... Come on Spring Time!!!!
        My Motorcycles:
        22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
        22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
        82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
        81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
        79 1000e (all original)
        82 850g (all original)
        80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

We had a couple lucky weather holidays in that last 5 years. Once was a Thanksgiving day with dry sunny weather and I saw many other cold weather riders out.
          Must be 5 years ago we had good weather during xmas season, I was waiting at a stop light and peeps drove by honking and waving thumbs up.
          I stay on well maintained roads with no shade trees, so I don't run over black ice.
          As for deer, if I ride over to my friends house I leave before dusk!
          Last edited by Buffalo Bill; 11-01-2019, 12:59 PM.
          "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
          1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
          1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
          1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

first snow here last night. i always try to keep a bike accessible for nicer days though just in case.
            2002 bmw r1150gs 1978 gs1000E skunk les pew 1979 gs1000L dragbike
            82 gs1100L probably the next project
            1980 gs1000G the ugly 1978 gs750E need any parts?
            https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m_m2oYJkx1A
            1978 gs1000E skunk #2 RLAP

Comment

For me, unfortunately, in order to move the car into the garage for the winter, the bike has to go into the shed. That will be a sad day.
              Current Bikes:
              2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Remember, it's not global warming, but climate change, and we're not done seeing the worst of it.

Just stud up the tires and go for it
                '83 GS650G
                '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Jedz is laughing at all you whining wussies. (I’m one if you, just no snow here, yet)
                  Rich
                  1982 GS 750TZ
                  2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                  Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Ah, how I love Arizona ...

I don't tend to ride when it's much over 110, but that only cuts about a month from the riding year. 11 months of riding is joy.
                    "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                    1982 CB900f

Comment

If I wait too long after the weather turns bad I can’t get the bike OVER TO AND IN the garage* so it will need to move soon. Then, I will be able to ride if we don’t get any snow and the driveway isn’t super muddy

*My garage is about five miles from the house
                      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Suspended the insurance on all 5 bikes yesterday. No "legal" riding until April 1st. (But it does save me $110 a month!) Now to start on the GS1000 refurb.
                        Ron
                        When I die, just cremate me and put me in my GS tank. That way I can go through these carbs, one more time!
                        1978 GS750E - November 2017 BOTM
                        1978 GS1000C - May 2021 BOTM
                        1982 GS1100E - April 2024 BOTM
                        1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
                          Ah, how I love Arizona ...

I don't tend to ride when it's much over 110, but that only cuts about a month from the riding year. 11 months of riding is joy.

This sounds good to me. Just spooned on a new front tire yesterday and now am putting new brake pads on the front.
                          Leaving Monday morning for a ride to Arizona. That will be the bike's winter home this year. Can't wait to get it there.
                          Larry

'79 GS 1000E
                          '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
                          '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
                          '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
                          '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend, now for sale.

Comment

Originally posted by alke46 View Post
                            This sounds good to me. Just spooned on a new front tire yesterday and now am putting new brake pads on the front.
                            Leaving Monday morning for a ride to Arizona. That will be the bike's winter home this year. Can't wait to get it there.
                            Great weather and some great roads await.
                            "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                            ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                            1982 CB900f

Comment

Moved into a place for the winter in Branson, MO over the weekend. 70° sunshine yesterday and 62° right now. Looks like a couple of cold wet days ahead with a sunny 60° in the forecast for Saturday. Finally figured it out, north in the summer and south in the winter!
                              1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
                              1982 GS450txz (former bike)
                              LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Working...
                              X