Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new to forum

My name is Dan,
    I Recieved a 1981 GS850GL in a trade (that initially cost me about $50).
    absolute barn find, with 4,009 miles on the clock,
    all the origional purchase paperwork, manuals, service receipts, etc.
    had the Vetter Front Fairing/windsheild, and tape deck!
    as well as the Hard Saddle Bags, and Trunk.

All a little dusty but mint condition!

I set forth restoring and cleaning it back to running condition, changed all fluids. Replaced the front fairings with a basic headlight/turn signal setup. (the fairing, i will keep and maybe reinstall down the road)
    saddle bags and trunk removed as well (but go on and off with a key)

otherwise i'm one lucky guy with this bike. the only discrepancies i was able to find (i did myself) were three of the 16 carberator top screws have been filed from phillips to flat head when stripped during removal, otherwise those will be replaced in time.

i'm still looking to rebuild or replace the petcock, which only works properly in purge, and i have a lawnmower shut off valve spliced on the line (temporary of course)

otherwise i hope to put a windsheild on it in due time.
    otherwise i have put 70 miles on it since i got it running again, then ohio got hit with snow, and she's away till spring.
    but this forum has been helpful and informative, so i figured i'd join and thank you all for your help in getting that old girl back on the road, and good as new
    Attached Files

after a little work done, she sees sunlight
    Attached Files

Comment

Welcome! Where abouts in Ohio?

Comment

central, pickerington area.

Comment

Another welcome, but from the other corner of oHIo.

There are a couple other GSers near you in the Columbus area.

You are not too far away for me to offer help, though, you are just over an hour away.

May I suggest that you add your location to your profile, and maybe even add a signature that mentions your bike.

Nice looking bike, too.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I would say you're pretty lucky, getting a runner for $50. Plus, there are many members here who own 850s and think they're the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Warning: there are a few "L" haters lurking here!
            1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
              I would say you're pretty lucky, getting a runner for $50. Plus, there are many members here who own 850s and think they're the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Warning: there are a few "L" haters lurking here!
              Count me as one who thinks the 850's are the best -- and mine is an "L" to boot...

Well done on a great purchase. Renew it all and ride the he'LL' out of it...
              Currently in the Stable :
              2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
              1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
              - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

Originally posted by Wingsconsin View Post
                Count me as one who thinks the 850's are the best -- and mine is an "L" to boot...

Well done on a great purchase. Renew it all and ride the he'LL' out of it...
                Count me as another 850 'L'over. Great buy on a great bike. Welcome.

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
                1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

i'd say it's ready to go.
                  i had my brother in-law romp on it a bit (he rides ducati religiously). i figured he'd do all the things i won't do (like run her 95+mph on a dark back road).
                  she handled him just fine.

i'll put another 100 or so miles on her before i stretch her legs to say a fishing trip across state or something of the sort
                  but with the low mileage and condition I'm trying to keep it stock, pristine and taken care of

Comment

Welcome to the GSR. Nice score especially at the price. If the cycle is laid up for the winter consider adding some fuel stabilizer and running it a bit to get it into the carbs.
                    sigpic
                    When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                    -Rusty old scooter.
                    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                    https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Welcome from over the pond you got a good deal there

Comment

Working...
                      X