New member....again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New member....again

Good evening everyone. Just wanted to say hi. My name is Leroy and from Athens, OH. I bought a 1982 Katana 1000(has 83 Katana 1100 engine) over 15 years ago. Was a member here prior to adding "the" to the website name, lol. No idea how long ago that was. Bike has been sitting under my parents porch for many years. Honestly not sure if it's still good to fix up or as parts. Been thinking of upgrading some parts from newer bikes, but I don't really know bikes that well.

Also just recently bought a gsx600f for $100 and was wondering if anything from it might swap over. My assumption is that it is way too small of a bike.

Anyway, as stated, jut wanted to say hi...again.

As it sits now:

When I bought it:
    Last edited by Guest; 01-09-2015, 11:10 PM.

Cool, welcome back.
    sigpic
    When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
    -Rusty old scooter.
    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
    https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

It sounds like it is already on its way to being better than stock and well worth the little bit of effort to get it back on the road.
      Can you post some pictures of this now project bike?

Comment

Well with enough ingenuity you can cross over some parts from the 600 Kat. Like forks and wheels... However If I had a (nearly) free 600cc Katana I would source out a Bandit 1200 motor and swap it in... It fits with little modification... FYI more fun sounding to me.
        Welcome back and good luck!
        And pictures are worth a thousand words...
        Jedz Moto
        1988 Honda GL1500-6
        2002 Honda Reflex 250
        2018 Triumph Bonneville T120
        2023 Triumph Scrambler 1200XE
        Cages: '18 Subaru OB wagon 3.6R and '16 Mazda 3
        Originally posted by Hayabuser
        Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Thanks for the support. It ran great when parked. Just been sitting for a log time and bumped around by renters and such. I know a lot of the clear on the crank case covers are peeling, some rust on the cam covers, front fairing is cracked, etc. I have what looks to be a stock seat and another fairing though.

this pic is from not long after I got it I believe I don't have any current pics. May have to get some before pics if I['m going to keep her, lol

Comment

Originally posted by Jedz123 View Post
            Well with enough ingenuity you can cross over some parts from the 600 Kat. Like forks and wheels... However If I had a (nearly) free 600cc Katana I would source out a Bandit 1200 motor and swap it in... It fits with little modification... FYI more fun sounding to me.
            Welcome back and good luck!
            And pictures are worth a thousand words...
            hmmm...May have to think about this. Sounds like a beast

Comment

so now it has a black engine in it?

Comment

No. Were the 1100s black? The engine in the pic is what it has in it.

Comment

Supposedly the engine is from a 83 1100 Katana.

Comment

83 kat 1100 has a black engine similar to an 1100E/ES.

Comment

Oh wow... Restore it! GSX600F's are a dime a dozen, molest that and make it your project... Bring your good Kat back to life!
                      Jedz Moto
                      1988 Honda GL1500-6
                      2002 Honda Reflex 250
                      2018 Triumph Bonneville T120
                      2023 Triumph Scrambler 1200XE
                      Cages: '18 Subaru OB wagon 3.6R and '16 Mazda 3
                      Originally posted by Hayabuser
                      Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
                        83 kat 1100 has a black engine similar to an 1100E/ES.
                        Hmmm...the seller was actually a friend of mine. and pointed out the stamped numbers showing it as gs110x, or something like that(been a long time since I have looked at it). Maybe he was mixed up, but I don't think he would have lied to me.

Originally posted by Jedz123 View Post
                        Oh wow... Restore it! GSX600F's are a dime a dozen, molest that and make it your project... Bring your good Kat back to life!
                        yaeh, the 600 I only bought because of price and it was right down the street from me. I was just going to piece it back together and sell it, but then it occurred to me to that I may be able to upgrade the 82

Comment

Welcome back. As a fellow Kat owner, keep the Kat as is or restore it. Use the 600 to play with.... just my $0.02.
                          1978 GS1000E
                          1980 GS1000S (Wes Cooley Replica)
                          1981 GS1100E
                          1982 GS1100E
                          1982 GS1000SZ
                          1983 GS1100ED
                          1983 GS1100ESD
                          1978 Honda CB750K
                          1981 Honda CB900F

Comment

Originally posted by gs1000kat View Post
                            Hmmm...the seller was actually a friend of mine. and pointed out the stamped numbers showing it as gs110x, or something like that(been a long time since I have looked at it). Maybe he was mixed up, but I don't think he would have lied to me.

yaeh, the 600 I only bought because of price and it was right down the street from me. I was just going to piece it back together and sell it, but then it occurred to me to that I may be able to upgrade the 82

GS110X is a standard number on 16 valve 1100's be it a E/ES or katana.
                            a 1000 kat engine would have GS100X in 82.
                            you can count the valve cover bolts...20 will mean you have an 80/81 engine(head).
                            24 bolts will mean you have an 82/83..but ALL 83's was factory black.
                            i owned an 83 kat 1100 in the early 90's...your friend was just mistaken unless your engine has been painted silver.
                            an 83 kat 1100 engine has a small taper crank and small rotor/stator just like the 1000 kat engine.
                            you just can't tell by the engine numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
                              GS110X is a standard number on 16 valve 1100's be it a E/ES or katana.
                              a 1000 kat engine would have GS100X in 82.
                              you can count the valve cover bolts...20 will mean you have an 80/81 engine(head).
                              24 bolts will mean you have an 82/83..but ALL 83's was factory black.
                              i owned an 83 kat 1100 in the early 90's...your friend was just mistaken unless your engine has been painted silver.
                              an 83 kat 1100 engine has a small taper crank and small rotor/stator just like the 1000 kat engine.
                              you just can't tell by the engine numbers.
                              hmmm...Very possible i completely misunderstood or just misremember what i was told. I didn't know much about the bike at all at the time. Still dont i guess, lol. I may try to get a look at the bike this evening

Comment

Working...
                              X