'77 GS550- New Re-Owner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'77 GS550- New Re-Owner

Bought a new, black '77, "back in the day", and sold it in '86 about two years after our daughter was born. I regretted selling that bike later, and have been looking off and on for one for the last 10-15 years. Seven weeks ago I was minding my own business when one jumped out at me on Craigslist- 6000 miles, excellent condition, in green (nothing is perfect...). After looking at it for a couple of days, I finally asked my wife, "What would you think about me getting another bike?" "If we can afford it, I think you should get it." Darned lucky, I know. Several emails and a 220 mile round trip later and the bike joined a few others in the garage. Six weeks on and it's basically done, back to near stock and tailored to me. Just wanted to say "Hi". Picture after cleaning up and most mods except the brake lines.

GS550-Right-02-20-15c.jpg
    Last edited by Guest; 03-01-2015, 06:33 PM.

Welcome to the site, Stuarth.
    Your bike looks great. Only 6000 miles? Wow.
    I like the lower handlebars. The stockers are way too tall for my liking.
    Is that the stock seat with a different cover?
    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Yup, stock seat, new replica cover. The original owner had fit a touring seat onto the stock seat pan so I had to find the seat foam and then put the cover on. Here's what it looked like when purchased
      .GS550-left.jpg

Comment

Very nice machine. Welcome to the forums!
        Charles
        --
        1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Originally posted by eil View Post
          Very nice machine. Welcome to the forums!
          Thanks. Original owner saved quite a few things. Scanned one of the ads that he had saved.
          Ad-1977.jpg

Comment

Green? Dude what an awesome color! Gorgeous bike! I love these old 550's. I've flipped a couple, pretty peppy and they love to be revved out.
            Welcome aboard! And thanks for the share on the Ad. I love how they have the bike ridding by them selves around a turn... LOL I have a GS750 poster just like that hung in my shop!!
            Jedz Moto
            1988 Honda GL1500-6
            2002 Honda Reflex 250
            2018 Triumph Bonneville T120
            2023 Triumph Scrambler 1200XE
            Cages: '18 Subaru OB wagon 3.6R and '16 Mazda 3
            Originally posted by Hayabuser
            Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

I bought a GS400 new in Fremont in 77 and sold it a year before my 84 vintage daughter was born. I always thought I would have been happier with a 550. I like the color. Welcome to the nut house!

cg
              sigpic
              83 GS1100g
              2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

The green looks good and it looks much better with the stock seat on it.

Comment

You didn't like the touring seat? I couldn't get it off fast enough, truth be told. Original owner had grand plans to do some long distance on it, but apparently never got the chance. I tend more toward sporty bikes, but not sport bikes- my neck can't take my son's Daytona 675 for instance. I tend to keep them mostly stock from an appearance standpiont, and tweak them to my liking. New suspension, turn signals now running lights, lower bars, electronic ignition, etc. Runs pretty well but weak on top. Picture of my bikes, chronological order with oldest at the bottom.
                  aCollectiona~02.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Stuarth View Post
                    You didn't like the touring seat? I couldn't get it off fast enough, truth be told. Original owner had grand plans to do some long distance on it, but apparently never got the chance. I tend more toward sporty bikes, but not sport bikes- my neck can't take my son's Daytona 675 for instance. I tend to keep them mostly stock from an appearance standpiont, and tweak them to my liking. New suspension, turn signals now running lights, lower bars, electronic ignition, etc. Runs pretty well but weak on top. Picture of my bikes, chronological order with oldest at the bottom.
                    [ATTACH=CONFIG]38529[/ATTACH]
                    A good line up. I only have the two at this time, a Revere NTV 600 and a 650L. I had a sportier GS in my younger days but not for me any more, too old and stiff for all that these days.

Comment

I have a very understanding wife... Appreciate the welcome from all by the way. I did like my original black GS550 better, but could not pass up one in such great condition and low miles just because of the color.

Comment

Working...
                      X