Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yet another new old guy

Hello from Calgary, Alberta, Canada,

A couple years ago I picked up a 77 gs550 as a fun little project. I'd previously owned an 83 gs750e that I restored with the the help and knowledge i found here (10+ years ago).

The 550 bike ran Ok when I got it, even in its rough condition. I rode it a bit last summer, but decided to tear it down this year and finally get started. With a couple kids and a busy career, this will be a slow, relaxing, fun project.

I know the many purists here won't appreciate the modifications I plan on doing to this bike. I acknowledge their comments and concerns, but do not wish to argue about "style" choices. I am a middle aged mechanical engineer with full, private access to a machine shop, mig and tig, etc. A safe, well constructed vehicle is a must. For me the joy is the project itself, not necessarily the end result (ie: riding).

Thanks for reading. Hope to chat more later.

Nolan

Sounds like my kind of project! To quote Aaron on Gas Monkey Garage "If it gets somebody's panties in a wad, that suits me just fine" My toy is a stock 82 450, I prefer it that way for now but always have Ideas running though my head on what to try. My metal fab skills end at the conception of an idea and have great respect that can actually DO that sort of work.
    1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
    1982 GS450txz (former bike)
    LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Thanks, I'm looking forward to the project. I've done most of the teardown and already taken the grinder to the frame and bent the rear hoop. Currently shopping for parts (fork springs, shocks, brake upgrade, RR, exhaust, etc).

I need to finalize the exhaust location before i weld up the rearset mounts. It appears MAC is the only real option in NA. U might decide to fab my own headers as MAC is expensive (for what it is) and if prefer dual exhaust anyways.

My metal fab skills are definately rusty, but re-learning us always fun.

Comment

Working...
      X